Motherboard bandwidth

Hi all,
thinking of getting a i5 quad setup in the future, the problem is that i thinking of doing xfire or sli and the bandwidths on the i5 boards read 1x pci-e 2.0 x16 but the second on reads 1x pci-e 2.0x16 (4x bandwidth).

I am assuming itis the pci-e speed so one runs at 16x and the other runs at 4x in dual, is this correct even tho it states 16x(4x bandwidth).

The only reason i ask is that i was looking at getting a phenom 955 and the board that i would get runs at 16x on both.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hope this is in the right place sorry if it isnt
6 answers Last reply
More about motherboard bandwidth
  1. Hi.

Crossfire with x4 isn't good because u won't see any performance increase, is better go with a Crossfire x16 or x8 that are better even u won't see a big difference between x16 and x8.
  2. Thats what i thought,
    the board i found for the phenom is 16x or dual 8x not 16x but looked at the charts and there is only max 2-4 fps in the games i play so that is fine. the boards i was looking at for the i5 was about 110 but that was with the 4x bandwidth on the xfire and the boards with 8x dual are 140+ and going out of my range so i would have to reduce the amount for other items that i dont want to do so i will stick with the phenom thanks for all your help saint19.
  3. This ASUS P7P55D-E Pro is a very solid mobo for OC and Crossfire, but is expensive too.
  4. Thats what i mean, it a nice board and it is asus i want but for that amount i could put around 50 pound to the rest of my board or a second gpu.

Thanks for finding the board but with the price of intel chips and boards compared to amd i think i will stick to amd unless i decide to put extra towards it and blow my budget. would you get the i5 640 (x4 2.66) or the phenom 955 (4x 3.2).

Thanks again saint19
  5. Any time, that's why we are here.
  6. the boards even out to x8 in both slots when dual cards are installed dont they?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Bandwidth Intel i5 PCI Express Product