Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My new system your opinions

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Western Digital
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 29, 2009 2:50:39 PM

HSF: Thermal take spin-q
CPU: Intel i5 750 @ 3.2ghz LGA-1156
MLB: MSI P55 GD65
MEM: Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Optical: liteon Blue-Ray 8X
HDD: 1 western digital 1TB sata Dual processor
1 western digital 80gb ide
VID: Galaxy gtx-260+ 896mb
PSU: Antec 550w
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
Case: Ccooler Master-Storm scout

Any pointers welcome. I built this system for under $1200.00 usd

More about : system opinions

a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2009 5:29:00 PM

Be careful with that Patriot DDR3 memory. Some of it is 1.65V, some of it is 1.8V or 1.9V. Intel says going higher than 1.65V RAM voltage on a socket 1156 motherboard can damage the CPU. Personally, I'd pick something with 1.5V if I could help it, just to give myself extra room if I ever filled all four slots.

I don't know what you're doing with that IDE hard drive (left over from another system, now extra storage?) but I don't see it helping much.

If you're going to be spending that much money, you might as well go for a 5850 instead of spending $200 on a DirectX 10 card that you'll eventually have to replace anyway.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 29, 2009 6:16:39 PM

capt_taco said:
Be careful with that Patriot DDR3 memory. Some of it is 1.65V, some of it is 1.8V or 1.9V. Intel says going higher than 1.65V RAM voltage on a socket 1156 motherboard can damage the CPU. Personally, I'd pick something with 1.5V if I could help it, just to give myself extra room if I ever filled all four slots.

I don't know what you're doing with that IDE hard drive (left over from another system, now extra storage?) but I don't see it helping much.

If you're going to be spending that much money, you might as well go for a 5850 instead of spending $200 on a DirectX 10 card that you'll eventually have to replace anyway.




Well i got the Galaxy 260+ because the Memory Interface 448-bit. And I get a decent frame rate. Would OCZ memory be a better choice.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2009 7:52:48 PM

I don't really think the brand of memory is what's going to matter. It's that you don't want to go at too high of a voltage on an 1156 board. OCZ also has as lot of non-standard voltage RAM, and you'll find the same thing a lot with a lot of memory designated "high-performance" or "gaming." Just something to check.

It sounds like you've actually got the system put together and working right now, which I must've missed the first time. If it turns out the memory is 1.65V and it's stable, then don't mess with it. If it's one of the higher voltages ... well, I'm not saying you should send it back, but you'll definitely want to research it some more and decide.

The 260 is not a bad card at all performance-wise, and you should be happy with it for now. But with a brand-new system, I still think a DirectX 11 capable card is a far better choice in that price range. When the top games start going to a DX11-only standard, that's a hard stop that'll keep the 260 from running them at all.

Now, that could happen a year from now, or it could happen three years from now, we don't know. But since you're probably planning on keeping the system for a while, I'd say that DX11 is the safer bet.

Don't get me wrong -- the 260 is not a bad card by any means; there's just a chance you'll have to replace it before everything else. Or you may not. Who knows.
m
0
l
December 30, 2009 3:52:27 AM

capt_taco said:
I don't really think the brand of memory is what's going to matter. It's that you don't want to go at too high of a voltage on an 1156 board. OCZ also has as lot of non-standard voltage RAM, and you'll find the same thing a lot with a lot of memory designated "high-performance" or "gaming." Just something to check.

It sounds like you've actually got the system put together and working right now, which I must've missed the first time. If it turns out the memory is 1.65V and it's stable, then don't mess with it. If it's one of the higher voltages ... well, I'm not saying you should send it back, but you'll definitely want to research it some more and decide.

The 260 is not a bad card at all performance-wise, and you should be happy with it for now. But with a brand-new system, I still think a DirectX 11 capable card is a far better choice in that price range. When the top games start going to a DX11-only standard, that's a hard stop that'll keep the 260 from running them at all.

Now, that could happen a year from now, or it could happen three years from now, we don't know. But since you're probably planning on keeping the system for a while, I'd say that DX11 is the safer bet.

Don't get me wrong -- the 260 is not a bad card by any means; there's just a chance you'll have to replace it before everything else. Or you may not. Who knows.



Ya I checked cpuz and the memory is at 1.9v.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2009 7:21:46 AM

anything over 1.65v will damage your cpu
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2009 3:54:03 PM

erichblas2010 said:
Ya I checked cpuz and the memory is at 1.9v.


You'd better be careful, then. The official line is that anything above 1.65V is dangerous -- in fact, Intel doesn't even recommend going over 1.5V, though that's probably just them being extra cautions to cover their own asses:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.ht...

At any rate, if I were you, I'd research this a lot more and decide whether you think the risk is real enough to make a switch.
m
0
l
!