Your question

Installing Linux on SECOND hard drive, with windows on the first

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Linux
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2011 6:27:53 PM

Hi, Currently i have W7 Pro 64 bit installed on an F3 spinpoint 1tb, if i plug in a second 120gb sata hdd, put in the linux dvd, and install it to this second hard drive (120gb) will it affect the MBR of windows 7 on the 1tb hdd? I'd assume not because the bios will only boot from one hdd and the linux hdd will only be used when i set it to boot from that? Cheers.

More about : installing linux hard drive windows

a c 84 G Storage
a b 5 Linux
December 12, 2011 6:57:39 PM

I would remove the SATA cable to your spinpoint do the Linux install then plug the cable backup. Then you can select what OS you want in your BIOS.
December 12, 2011 7:00:29 PM

anonymous1 said:
I would remove the SATA cable to your spinpoint do the Linux install then plug the cable backup. Then you can select what OS you want in your BIOS.
Hmmm, that's my thinking too, although i've seen people say it could mess up my windows 7 MBR because of the boot.ini. I just don't wanna mess up my windows install tbh. Do i have to install GRUB? or is it optional?
Related resources
a c 84 G Storage
a b 5 Linux
December 12, 2011 7:08:06 PM

If the computer boots Win 7 now...without the new drive then the boot.ini is on your spinpoint. New HDD and new OS all good..... I spoke of disconnecting the existing drive so you do not mess with your boot.ini or GRUB.
December 12, 2011 7:31:57 PM

anonymous1 said:
If the computer boots Win 7 now...without the new drive then the boot.ini is on your spinpoint. New HDD and new OS all good..... I spoke of disconnecting the existing drive so you do not mess with your boot.ini or GRUB.
Oh ok, so:
1. Unplug spinpoint
2. Plug in 120gb hdd
3. Install linux to 120gb hdd along with grub to that drive
4. Plug back in spinpoint
5. To boot into linux or windows, change my boot device.

Seems ok to you?

a c 84 G Storage
a b 5 Linux
December 13, 2011 7:49:23 PM

Yes,you just have to use your BIOS to select the hard drive it boots from.