Please Help! Good laptops for gaming?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 16, 2004 11:02:19 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
$1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
may have - thanks!!!

More about : good laptops gaming

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 16, 2004 4:49:58 PM

"Adam" <leopardgecko@email.com> wrote in message
| Hi all,
|
| I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
| some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
| and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
| have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
| my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
| when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
| computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
| Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
| I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
| $1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
| may have - thanks!!!

eMachines m68xx or some other make with an A64 and ATI 9600/9700 video card.
Bang for the Buck? Definately the eMachines. It is an unbelievable machine
for less than $1500.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 16, 2004 6:32:41 PM

Here are my 3 favorite brands (in any order) - toshiba, ibm,
hypersonic-pc.com
Richard
"Adam" <leopardgecko@email.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
> some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
> and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
> have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
> my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
> when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
> computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
> Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
> I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
> $1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
> may have - thanks!!!
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2004 2:06:56 AM

I second your comments.
"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "Adam" <leopardgecko@email.com> wrote in message
> | Hi all,
> |
> | I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
> | some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
> | and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
> | have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
> | my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
> | when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
> | computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
> | Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
> | I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
> | $1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
> | may have - thanks!!!
>
> eMachines m68xx or some other make with an A64 and ATI 9600/9700 video
card.
> Bang for the Buck? Definately the eMachines. It is an unbelievable machine
> for less than $1500.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2004 5:05:37 AM

I just got a new Inspiron 9100. It's all you need for gaming my friend.
Just load up on ram. Check it out at Dell. It's a killer!

"Adam" <leopardgecko@email.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
> some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
> and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
> have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
> my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
> when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
> computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
> Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
> I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
> $1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
> may have - thanks!!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2004 6:43:34 AM

Or, before loading up on ram, check crucial.com, it may be a lot cheaper.
Richard
"rlking" <rlking@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new Inspiron 9100. It's all you need for gaming my friend.
> Just load up on ram. Check it out at Dell. It's a killer!
>
> "Adam" <leopardgecko@email.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
> > some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
> > and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
> > have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
> > my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
> > when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
> > computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
> > Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
> > I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
> > $1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
> > may have - thanks!!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 19, 2004 10:41:43 AM

rlking wrote:
> I just got a new Inspiron 9100. It's all you need for gaming my friend.
> Just load up on ram. Check it out at Dell. It's a killer!
>
> "Adam" <leopardgecko@email.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm new to this group but thought you'd be a good bunch to come to for
>>some advice, if you have the time. I'm starting grad school this fall
>>and am required to buy a laptop. I've always had desktops and don't
>>have much experience with laptops. I'd like a machine that can replace
>>my current desktop for gaming purposes (my current machine was great
>>when I built it 3-4 years ago, but its age is starting to show). Two
>>computers I've been looking at are the Acer Ferrari 3200 and the ABS
>>Mayhem series. I've also seen some HP models that didn't look too bad.
>>I'd also like to keep the cost under $2000, and preferably closer to
>>$1500 than $2000. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advice and thoughts you
>>may have - thanks!!!

What about the keyboard? I heard it is very flimsy? Is this true?

--
John Doue
Anonymous

"rlking" <rlking@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
| I just got a new Inspiron 9100. It's all you need for gaming my friend.
| Just load up on ram. Check it out at Dell. It's a killer!

Or spend less money and get more performance with an A64 <wink>.
July 19, 2004 3:13:05 PM

Thanks for all your advice! I went with Jason's suggestion and got a
Athlon 64 powered ABS Mayhem G3
(http://www.buyabs.com/app/config.asp?mono=1850). I doubled the RAM,
improved the hard drive, and more, and the salesperson increased the
price by just $1! I highly recommend the machine and the company - I'm
really excited about getting the laptop! The guy I talked to was
Chester Stamps (800-926-8088 x2710) and he was really great. Thanks
again for your help everyone!

-Adam Nagorski

!