PC Build - Few Problems - Error Logs

TurboAddiction

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Hey guys,

I just built four new PCs for one of my companies. All of the PC's were working just fine. However, yesterday was a different story.

I ended up installing Windows 7 Ultimate on two of the rigs, and W7 Professional on the other two. After that the rigs sat until yesterday (holidays). Everything was running smoothly. I updated all of the rigs, put Office on all the them, and I didn't see anything to be problematic.

Well, I was running around to all of the computers and the one PC that is giving me problems ended up going into sleep mode. I know that W7 was having problems in the RC versions where the sleep mode would give people problems and end up crashing. Well this is basically what it is doing.

Anyway, when the rig would boot up I would sometimes get the BSOD for memory management. I couldn't tell what it was for the longest time as the screen goes by so fast. I am also getting the atikmdag as the ATI family error comes up. I have also confirmed this in the system log.

Also when I'm logged in I was noticing that my screen would flicker in and out. The graphics seem to be messed up as one of the boot-ups the whole screen went to a green hue. It was later fixed but it's acting really weird. I ended up reinstalling W7 and started with a fresh HD again (it was new to begin with - minus W7 install). I am currently using the PC that is having problems and I haven't been getting as many shut downs.

I did notice during boot-up that the atikmdag is occurring again. I left it unattended while I was on another workstation and I believe it restarted on its own once as well. I have not seen BSOD again but that doesn't mean that it's not occurring as well. So far the graphics seem to be running smooth as I haven't noticed any flickering or any discoloration or anything of that nature yet.

As I said before, I have seen errors in the system log. I will post some of them below and I will also post my PC specs.

Errors/Warnings:

Warning - Event 4101, Display - Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Error - Event 52236, atikmdag - CPLIB :: General - Invalid Parameter
Error - Display is not active
Error - There was a list of items like device manager and programs that stopped in a row
Error - The previous system shutdown at 8:55:20 AM on ‎12/‎29/‎2009 was unexpected.

Error - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa8009394010, 0xfffff8800465b7f8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 122909-14445-01.

Critical - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Information - The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of computer X on behalf of user X for the following reason: Operating System: Recovery (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80020002
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:

Info - The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (WIN-UEHBFUCACJ2) has initiated the restart of computer X on behalf of user X for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:

Keep in mind that all of the other three rigs are running just fine including sleep mode without shutting down/crashes/reboots that are unexpected.

Also, we are using onboard graphics from a gigabyte mobo. Since this company (besides my rig) need great graphics, the onboard work just fine for normal office duties.

PC Rig Specs:

Master Cooler HAF 932 Case
Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H Mobo
AMD Phenom II X2
Corsair XMS3 8GB -2x2 Dual channel (2 qty)
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W - Modular
WD Caviar Blue - 500GB HD SATA

No overclocking, no BIOS updates. Basically a fresh PC with windows update and a few office applications. Keep in mind a lot of the errors occurred even before any other applications were added. Also, of course I decided to re-install windows to see there was a problem with the install, however another huge reason why I re-installed windows again was because the PC rebooted while I was in the process of doing a Windows Update and it just messed everything up. After the re-install I was able to update successfully.

I'm going to start testing things soon. I figured I'd post to see if anyone has some suggestions/opinions on the situation at hand. Thank you for your time!

TurboAddiction

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I spoke too soon. About 10 seconds after I posted this previous message I went to a different workstation and I got the BSOD for Memory management again. I'm going to pull the memory out and see if some how didn't get installed in all the way. I will also check to see if all four sticks are being recognized. From what I remember everything was good...

Another Edit - Looks like Windows finally installed the ATI HD 3300 Graphics Driver successfully. I had no indication that it failed the first time. So that will hopefully take care of the graphics problems.

Not quite sure on the BSOD memory ordeal yet. Will look further into it. Hopefully it went away, haha.

Which Corsair XMS3 do you have, the 1.5V or the 1.65V version? If it's the 1.65V version, you probably need to set the voltage yourself in the BIOS. If it's not autodetecting correctly, not enough voltage to the RAM is probably one of the biggest causes of seemingly random freezing and crashing.

Also, do you mean you're using 8GB per machine (e.g. all four DIMM slots are filled)? If so, try bumping the voltage up to 0.05-0.1V above the recommended specs (this is true whether you have the 1.5V or 1.65V memory). Using all four slots can make the RAM demand slightly more voltage.

If that doesn't fix the problem, next thing I'd look at is the motherboard drivers. If you just installed the motherboard drivers that came with the CD out of the box, it's likely that they're not up-to-date for Windows 7, or there were bugs that needed to be fixed with Windows 7. So if that's what you did, I'd check the Gigabyte site to see if they have updated drivers and BIOS available for download.

You may actually be having two problems at once here, so if one of these fixes doesn't solve the problem, don't undo it until you've tried both at the same time.

TurboAddiction

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I understand this is a bit old now. I decided to send in my Mobo as it was acting up. Gigabyte sent it back yesterday. There was no documentation telling me if they fixed anything at all. So I'm calling them soon.

Anyway, turned on the PC after put everything back. First thing it does is go to a dead black screen. It's weird because on the screen is a a green block and a Spanish "N" beside it. I have to force shut down or it will not move.

I dumped everything and re-installed windows. Through the windows install nothing ever goes wrong. I ended up downloading the most up to date driver this time around from ATi.

I have not put in the mobo CD to do hardware updates. The screen still flickers. Most of the time it will flicker in and out once (5 second delay), and then it will come back. It will then do it again moments later and this time it will freeze, shut down, or reboot.

I am starting to get the BSOD for memory management again, but I am still getting mostly signs of graphics failure. The ATi says it quit responding on the screen. Also, EVERY TIME on Windows 7 when I right click to personalize the desktop background it will go to a black screen. This is AFTER I click on a different wallpaper. Most of the time it will go to a black screen and blue dots are everywhere on the screen. Most of the time I will have to force shut down. Rarely it will come back and show the desktop change.

Regardless, I have NOT overclocked the 8 gb of RAM on any of the other three of the computers so I don't see why this one would be the difference. I also didn't run the hardware updates with the CD from Gigabyte as Windows seemed to cover it all. I have had absolutely no problems with the other three computers to date.

When the computers are not in use, I plan to swap HD's on the PC's to see if it could possibly be a failure in the HD. Other than that I can't really think of any problems.

Last time the BSOD went away, so I'm sure that problem can be resolved once I figure out this other problem. Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions. Thanks!