Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Optimal GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R SATA port connection and BIOS setup

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2010 4:55:17 PM

Hi,
I just put together my first machine with a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and was hoping someone could give me the optimal setup for my SATA connections.
The following are the parts that I have that I am trying to connect via SATA:

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

HDDs
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
(Would like a RAID1 setup with Win7 OS Primary drive with these)
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
(For media/storage/etc, no RAID)

Optical Drives
Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA BDR-205BKS - OEM
(will use this one primary)
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Front Panel
1x eSATA port
Memory Card Reader (will purchase in future, probably only need USB headers but incase I need a SATA port for it)

With the above setup I would like to know which drive I should plug into which SATA ports on the mobo. Also the proper BIOS setup for the SATA ports would be greatly appreciated as well.

I have read that the front panel eSATA should go into the GSATA2_8 or GSATA2_9 port so I can 'hot swap' drives without worry about the system not reading them etc so that is what I am currently planning on.
The rest though is a mystery to me.
Ive read that even though the mobo has SATA3 (GSATA3_6/7) ports the SATA2 (SATA2_0/1/2/3/4/5) ports controller by the ICH10R chip performs better (even for my SATA 3 1TB HDDs), if so I'm guessing all 4 of my HDDs should go into the SATA2 ports is some order? And the optical drives I have no clue :p  sooo any help would be deeply appreciated!

This is my first post here so if I am missing any info thats need please let me know and I will update it ASAP.

Thanks for looking through this and hope I can get someone to help! :) 
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 7:15:56 PM

Bad news, unfortunately - 'Blacks' don't RAID... Need RE3's, (which are, in essence, the same drive, with the firmware's DRC (deep recovery [/u]c[/u]ycling) turned off. There was, for a short time, a 'patch' available, which disabled this - I don't know if WD's marketing guys figured out this was a mistake (in terms of extra $$), or if it wasn't dependable; but, I do know that WD have pretty thoroughly 'scrubbed it off' the web, and, even if you can find a source for it, scuttlebutt says it can wreck a new drive, or its firmware, if applied... If you got 'em from someone reputable, they're likely to let you return 'em for credit on a pair of RE's - the current price differential at NewEgg is $45-$50, between CB's and RE's...

You definitely want 'em all four on the ICH (SATA2_0 through SATA2_5), and I'd put 'em on in the 'order of use' (though the order really doesn't matter...) - the two for RAID1 & booting on ports 0 & 1; the other pair on 2 & 3.

You will need to put in drivers during install - I can point you at 'em, and give some procedure, once you're 'sorted out' and ready to go - sorry to be the 'bearer of bad tidings' [:lectrocrew:7]
m
l
July 21, 2010 7:38:52 PM

Ahh i see. Well i guess I'll chance it for now with a non-RAID setup for my C drive. Later on I will most likely reinstall the OS anyways.
Thanks for the info.

As for the drivers are they for the HDDs? If so please do let me know where I can download these and what step exactly should i install them?

Thanks again :) 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 10:01:13 PM

Non-RAID = WD1002FAEX ; {lacking TLER} "Probably" with some dedicated RAID Controllers. Running it off your MOBO is another issue.

Since you are mixing SATA III (Primary) with SATA II (Data), I'd be interested seeing your RAID + DATA work. Your MOBO has been shown to have problems with SATA II RAID configurations. However, SATA III is Marvell vs Intel SATA II, to make things more squirrelly there have been several posts to "stay away" from Marvell RAID.

Refer to your MOBO manual for setup. You shouldn't need to D/L drivers for your HDD.

footnote: I read where some people got "creative" and found a way to enable TLER on their WD drives, but since it involves flashing I wouldn't recommend it unless you KNOW you can RMA the drives if it fails.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 10:19:24 PM

The drivers you would need will be for any RAID set up you do.

The ICH10R drivers are part of Windows 7 install, but not the Marvell SATA III drivers, with or without RAID.

If you use your SATA III drives in the SATA III ports, with or without RAID, you may need the "F6 Third party drivers" during Win7 install.

BTW: Intel does has an updated driver for the ICH10R chipset, but you can download it, and install it after your initial OS install/setup.
m
l
July 22, 2010 12:51:20 AM

I decided that RAID1 for my OS drive is important enough for me, so I purchased two RE3s
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Ill probably end up keeping the 1TB blacks for extra storage/for another machine.

So once the drives come (hopefully on Friday) I will have the two RE3s in the SATA2_0 and 1 ports, the Two 1.5TB Blacks in SATA2_2 and 3, and if I decided to add an extra drive into the SATA3_6 or 7 ports.

For the two Optical Drives Im guessing 4 and 5 will do?

And Finally the front panel eSATA in the GSATA2_8.

Does that seem like the best setup? And if so what BIOS setting should I use for the SATA ports.

Thanks again!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 1:28:21 AM

OK - put the RE3's on SATA2_0 & SATA2_1; the other WD's on SATA2_2 & SATA2_3; the DVD and any front panel eSATA connector on GSATA2_8 & GSATA2_9;

In the BIOS, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page -

Set

"eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" to "Enabled"...
"ICH SATA Control Mode" should get set to RAID(XHD) by the previous setting...
"SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled"...
"eSATA Controller" to "Enabled if you actually intend to ever use the rear-panel eSATA ports; else, "Disabled"...
"eSATA Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI" if enabled above; else, doesn't matter if "Disabled"...
"GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller" to "Disabled"...
"GSATA 6_7/IDE Ctrl Mode" doesn't matter, it's disabled...
"GSATA 8_9/IDE Controller" to "Enabled"...
"GSATA 8_9/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI"

<F10> to save, exit, and reboot...

When it reboots, you should be presented with the <CTRL + I> option illustrated in figure two on page 87; you will need to follow the 'Create RAID volume' procedure starting there, and continuing on to 89; at step 3 on 88, you will want to select a volume name, select RAID1(Mirror) in "RAID Level:"; pick your pair of RE3's below; and then 'create volume'... Once you reboot, you will then see, after the main POST, your RAID will be 'discovered' and checked by the RAID BIOS - that means you're ready to go!

Most of the files you need are here, at Intel... My brain may just be 'stuttering' [:bilbat:6] , but I don't remember seeing what OS you're planning. Also, are you planning on doing it 'the easy way', using a floppy, or going to try a USB stick for the driver install? If I know, I can 'personalize' a bit - and (lazy as I am) write up fewer 'alternative' procedures...

m
l
July 22, 2010 2:28:23 AM

awesome, thanks again for your help. :) 
For the OS i will be running win7 ultimate 64 bit.

Also for the two optical drives im guessing the SATA2_4 and 5 will be the best bet? And use the GSATA3 ports for any extra drives I might add in the future.

For installing drivers I'm planning on downloading the latest ones from the net onto a 8GB USB drive.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 6:27:36 PM

If you're going to use a USB, the first thing to do is make sure it's formatted to FAT-32 file system, and the second is to check in the BIOS, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, that the "USB Storage Function" item is "Enabled" - should be, by default, but check...

As for placement, does your case have a front panel eSATA connector?
m
l
July 22, 2010 6:41:00 PM

Ok thanks!
And yes my case has a front eSATA port.
The case that I have is a COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 12:37:32 AM

tkblingx2 said:
I decided that RAID1 for my OS drive is important enough for me, so I purchased two RE3s
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Just a "thought" and "my opinion" - for the money I would get a 128 GB SSD ; it runs circles around your drives. Instead, what is "Important" clearly is the "DATA" therefore, place your OS + Apps [SSD] and Data [RAID 1]. This is exactly what I did for my office rigs (128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD RAID 1) and my newer gaming rig (256 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD RAID 1). Honestly, once you've had SSD there's no going back (Start-ups in 15 sec, Office in 2-3 sec, click + snap). In addition, NO MORE defrag!

"IF" for some reason my SSD dies, so what - I ghost a clean image of the (OS + Apps) and I'm up and running faster than you could ever rebuild a RAID...
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 12:51:38 AM

How do you like it so far? I'm very interested, as I'm very seriously considering a UD9, and out of the handful of cases that will work with it, the HAF looked, to me at least, to be the pretty much 'ultimate' selection. I like CM's to begin with - have done a couple Cosmos now - I'm happy as a clam with mine, and the guy who got the machine I spec'd the other for is ecstatic with his machine! Have to ask - does it look like it would be a big deal to pull out the board at the back of the top pair of 'hot-plug' bays? I'd kind of want to yank it, and put in a rack that fits three 3½" drives into two 5¼" bays...

I'd do it this way:

Put the pair of DVDs on GSATA2_8 & GSATA2_9;
Put the FP eSATA on SATA2_5; so far as I know, any SATA port connected to an ICH in RAID mode, if it's not used in the RAID, is automatically put into AHCI mode, which will give you 'hot-plug' on the FP port...

What you want to do is D/L "STOR_all64_f6flpy_9.6.0.1014_PV.zip" and "STOR_allOS_9.6.0.1014_PV.exe" form the Intel pointer I posted; unzip the zip file, and put the contents onto your USB (some people have indicated problems 'navigating' to directories in the installer, so I'd keep 'em in the 'root' directory/folder)...

Also, D/L this file, and put it an empty directory somewhere (not on your desktop - it'll 'make a mess'...), then double-click on it - it should extract to a folder/directory named GSATA. Inside this folder, you'll see another, named 'Floppy64' - copy the contents of that one onto your USB stick as well... If you've already done the <CTRL+F1> thing, and successfully created your RAID, you're ready to install the OS. When you get to this screen:

click on 'Load Driver', navigate to the USB stick, and select 'Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller' for the first install; let it proceed, go back, and do the same thing again, this time selecting 'GIGABYTE GB836X Controller', and when it's done, you're ready to select your RAID partition, and proceed with the install!
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 1:31:40 AM

bilbat said:
OK - put the RE3's on SATA2_0 & SATA2_1; the other WD's on SATA2_2 & SATA2_3; the DVD and any front panel eSATA connector on GSATA2_8 & GSATA2_9;

In the BIOS, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page -

Set

"SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled"...
"eSATA Controller" to "Enabled if you actually intend to ever use the rear-panel eSATA ports; else, "Disabled"...
"eSATA Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI" if enabled above; else, doesn't matter if "Disabled"...
"GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller" to "Disabled"...
"GSATA 6_7/IDE Ctrl Mode" doesn't matter, it's disabled...
"GSATA 8_9/IDE Controller" to "Enabled"...
"GSATA 8_9/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI"

NO!!!! STOP!!!! {eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" to "Enabled"...} => DISABLED!!! The OP wants RAID 1 NOT RAID 0!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 1:42:08 AM

The {short version} SATA II RAID ~WD1002FBYS

1. Load "Optimized Settings"
2. Integrated Peripherals / ICH SATA Control Mode => "RAID (XHD)"
3. Save & Exit
4. Ctrl + I --> RAID Configuration {read Chapter 5 step by step}

You can "tweak" later.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 2:08:23 AM

Ahh - so the first entry on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, "eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)", does not simply 'set' the second, "ICH SATA Control Mode" to 'RAID', like the older BIOS? I simply assumed that, as there are only three possibilities for the second entry - 'IDE', 'AHCI', and 'RAID(XHD)', that the first entry simply 'forced' the second, as you could only select the XHD anyway... Struck me odd that they seemed redundant... Haven't had a client yet with enough $$$ to have configured a 1366 RAID, yet :cry: , and the manual simply says
Quote:
Enter the system BIOS Setup program, set eXtreme Hard Drive (X.H.D) under the Integrated Peripherals menu to Enabled to enable RAID for the Intel SATA controllers.

If I'm understanding this right, enabling the first RAID "eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" item, then, prevents you from selecting RAID1 in the option ROM's RAID BIOS? Or does it do away with the 'normal' <CTRL+F1> prompt entirely?

...anyhow... ...thanks for the pointer!

I gotta admit, I never even look at any of the GB utility stuff, as I'd generally rather pee on an electric fence than run any GB software - the XHD utility-thingy looks like it should do RAID1 by clicking on the 'Manual' button - but - it says GIGABYTE at the top - that's enough to scare me away!

Having had a glance, it also strikes me as a 'chicken and egg' problem - if you have to install the XHD utility to initialize your RAID - HITH do you install the OS on a RAID?? I just pray this doesn't mean that GB's been 'twiddling' around' in the Intel option ROM code!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 2:19:29 AM

I'm still wrapping my mind around the PROS/CONS of "Native" vs. "Legacy" ~ ICH10R which works only on SATA_0 - SATA_3. I found no differences w/ATTO. I am certain WIN 7 and my SSD + HDD support it...
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 2:41:20 AM

Umm, 'Enabled' just turns on interrupt sharing; systems ME and earlier had to have 'dedicated' disk controller interrupts... The reason for the 0-3 thing is that, if an ICH is not in AHCI or RAID mode, it is two physical controllers - one does 0-3 (and I think only those will work on ME & earlier - they're the 'equivalent' of a pair of old IDE controllers, two channels each, which was the max for a board, without special driver support...) - the second does ports 4 & 5. If you have no reason to use AHCI (or RAID), there is a smidgen's advantage when running a pair of drives, to putting 'em on channel 0 and channel 4 - you can take advantage of simutaneous streaming to the two physical controllers... When in AHCI or RAID, the ICH is 'transformed' into a single physical controller with six ports...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 3:59:33 AM

...So if I'm using, as I do, SSD SATA_0 + RAID (SATA_2-3) ; I assume that it is better 'Disabled'?

...How about for the OP running RAID 1 on SATA_0-1?

All running WIN 7; seems a little redundant if running {ICH SATA Control Mode => "RAID (XHD)" } which is why I 'Disable' and the manual simply doesn't say one way or the other so it seemed to reinforce the 'Disable'.

To quote the Manual, "{Disabled ~ set if you wish to install OS that does not support Native mode. Enabled ~ if you wish to install OS that support Native mode.} Question, does it conflict 'ICH SATA Control Mode => "RAID (XHD)' ??
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 2:30:11 PM

It doesn't apply in anything but IDE mode - again, once you 'toggle' the ICH into either RAID or AHCI, that 4 port/2 port 'split' is gone... From "Intel
® I/O Controller Hub 10 (ICH10) Family Datasheet
":
Quote:
5.16 SATA Host Controller (D31:F2, F5)

The SATA function in the ICH10 has three modes of operation to support different operating system conditions. In the case of Native IDE enabled operating systems, the ICH10 utilizes two controllers to enable all six ports of the bus. The first controller (Device 31: Function 2) supports ports 0–3 and the second controller (Device 31:
Function 5) supports ports 4 and 5. When using a legacy operating system, only one controller (Device 31: Function 2) is available that supports ports 0 - 3. In AHCI or RAID mode, only one controller (Device 31: Function 2) is used enabling all six ports.

...and there's a piece about the 'functional equivalency', in IDE mode, to a couple of older IDE (two drives to a cable) controllers:
Quote:
The ICH10 SATA controllers interact with an attached mass storage device through a register interface that is equivalent to that presented by a traditional IDE host adapter. The host software follows existing standards and conventions when accessing the register interface and follows standard command protocol conventions.
m
l
July 23, 2010 3:40:38 PM

So confused now haha >.<
So should XHD be disabled then in the BIOS?

And for the case I'm loving it so far, installation of everything was very simple and theres ample room even for the Radeon HD 5870 that I put in it (6 monitors with one card is awesome).
I do wish the back side of the motherboard area had just a little bit more room (width) for easy cable management. For some cables bunches get pretty thick and i have to kinda force the case cover on for that side of the case. Nothing a little extra cable management wont fix though :) 
Also they werent kidding when they said HAF. I love how well this thing is ventalated. The CM fans that come with this are practically silent also. One thing i was worried about was the front fan having the red LED which I wasnt a fan of but when power up is not bright at all which Im happy about :) 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 6:12:11 PM

Ahhh - don't mind our 'babbling' - it's just 'tech talk'. I would proceed as directed, except:
Quote:

Do that this way:
"eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" to "Disabled"...
"ICH SATA Control Mode" to "RAID(XHD)" - and, if there's a plain "RAID" (no XHD at the end, select that...

Then proceed as directed, with the reboot, and <CTRL+I> 'entry' into the RAID BIOS to configure your RAID...

I'm semi-conducting (! [:bilbat:9] )a garage sale (actually is advertised for tomorrow, but folks started showing up Wed while I was moving and cleaning up the 'junque'), so I'm a little slow - will try to remember to do a refresh every 40 min or so, in case you post with questions - if you run into anything anomalous in the process - post back!

When I have some more time, I want to converse further about the case, too [:jaydeejohn:3]
m
l
July 23, 2010 6:48:44 PM

Awesome thanks for the help!
I should be getting my drives today and as long as they are not DOA I will try to start setting them up tonight.

If I run into any issues I will be sure to update the thread.
As for the drivers the only two I will need to install before fully installing win7 should be the intel ICH10R and gigabyte GB836X drivers right?

I wont get home till around 7pm PDT so no updates till after then :) 

Also feel free to ask away about the case!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 8:13:44 PM

Yep - you've got it... The ICH's handle your RAID, put any remaining 'single drives' connected into AHCI mode, and, should you eventually go that route, handle TRIM pass-through for SSDs, which is vital to their 'long-term survival'. The GB driver does the AHCI for the aux (jMicron) controllers...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 2:47:16 AM

Once you Ctrl-I and set-up the RAID even if you disabled the {Integrated Peripherals / ICH SATA Control Mode => "RAID (XHD)" } the RAID still would be paired, but the Intel software controller wouldn't function. *Don't do it, on one of my RMA I tried it for the hell of it and the RAID still worked. Set: {eXtreme Hard Drive (XHD)" to "Disabled"...} is indeed correct.

@bilbat ~ I need to research the Native vs. Legacy.
m
l
July 24, 2010 3:43:12 AM

So I was able to set up the BIOS and raid1 but once I tried to install the Intel drivers before installing win7 I ended up getting a bsod :(  I wasn't able to get the error code or try a repro since I had to leave unfortunately. Win7 did find both drivers Intel/gigabyte successfully.

I'm hoping ill have time later to try again so when I to i will update this thread.

Thanks for the help :) 
m
l
July 24, 2010 8:15:03 AM

Ok i think i got the installation process to work. I copied the intel .exe file over to the USB also the first time which is what made it crash I think.
Though now my PC isnt showing any of the other drives other than the C drive (RAID 1) in win7 :( 

Did i screw up on the OS install or worse bend a pin in the CPU or is there something that I need to change for the drives to show up properly?
Under Computer Management the other discs appear at the bottom, but in the volume list above they do not.

Thanks
m
l
July 24, 2010 9:10:11 AM

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this.

I've just taken delivery of this board and building today. :D 

I've been reading this thread to see if it will help with a similar query but I'm still not quite sure of the best way for me to connect my SATA devices.

This is what i have to connect:

1x SSD (Windows 7)

2x HDD (I wanted to put these in Raid 0)

2x optical drives

So from what I can gather I would ideally connect the SSD and HDDs to the ICH controller but can I do this if I need to set the mode to AHCI for the SSD but the mode needs to be set to RAID for the HDDs?

Can anyone confirm if the quote below is the case because if it is it solves my problem.

Quote:
so far as I know, any SATA port connected to an ICH in RAID mode, if it's not used in the RAID, is automatically put into AHCI mode

If so I would connect the SSD to ICH SATA_0 and the HDDs to SATA_1 & SATA_2 set the mode to RAID and put the 2 HDDs in RAID 0 and the SSD would operate in AHCI mode.

If this is not the case how should I best connect them?

Help much appreciated.
m
l
July 24, 2010 9:10:47 AM

Oh wow I'm dumb, totally thought it would automatically create volumes on my other HDDs.
I figured it out and created volumes/reformated the other HDDs so everything is looking good so far. :) 
Gotta go to bed since I have to get up in 5 hours and work at 12+hr shift tomorrow >.<

Thanks again for the help and Ill continue to update the thread till everything is up and running :) 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 1:24:23 PM

Good progress - the fact that you can 'see' and make volumes, and format them - says you did it all right! :D 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 2:10:39 PM

discodave said:

This is what i have to connect:

1x SSD (Windows 7)

2x HDD (I wanted to put these in Raid 0)

2x optical drives

So from what I can gather I would ideally connect the SSD and HDDs to the ICH controller but can I do this if I need to set the mode to AHCI for the SSD but the mode needs to be set to RAID for the HDDs?

If you run a RAID on SATA_0 - 3 then NO, the BIOS must be set to as I've stated:
1. Load "Optimized Settings"
2. Integrated Peripherals / ICH SATA Control Mode => "RAID (XHD)"
3. Save & Exit
4. Ctrl + I --> RAID Configuration {read Chapter 5 step by step}

Question, WHY the RAID 0 on secondary HDD???
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 2:11:56 PM

tkblingx2 said:
Ok i think i got the installation process to work. I copied the intel .exe file over to the USB also the first time which is what made it crash I think.
Though now my PC isnt showing any of the other drives other than the C drive (RAID 1) in win7 :( 

Did i screw up on the OS install or worse bend a pin in the CPU or is there something that I need to change for the drives to show up properly?
Under Computer Management the other discs appear at the bottom, but in the volume list above they do not.

Thanks

Did you FORMAT???

BTW - WIN 7 "should have" had the necessary drivers for SATA II + RAID
m
l
July 24, 2010 6:34:50 PM

Yup everythings looks good now :) 
Ive installed more drivers so now I can stop using this old school keyboard and use my wireless keyboard and mouse. Also the graphics card drivers.

Are there any good test software to run to make sure everything is installed properly, im mainly worried about bent CPU pins but.
I read through this article HERE and will install and run the programs in step 10.
As for the the motherboard, I'm going to install all the drivers on the gigabyte website but I remember reading in bilbats gigabyte sticky thread that their programs are garbage. Are there any recommended programs I can download to manage the mobo properly.

And lastly I dont know why I didnt just list my entire setup before but here it is.
(one thing is I have 1600 RAM but the system only recognizes and clocks them at 1066mhz. Since I bought a combo deal off of newegg I cant return them for slower speed ones so I was hoping there was a way to OC them...didnt read the memory article written by bilbat till later on :(  haha)

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

PSU:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

CPU Heat Sink/Fan:
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

OS HDDs:
2x Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

STORAGE HDDs:
2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drives:
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA BDR-205BKS - OEM

GFX Card:
SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity ...

RAM:
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 6:44:06 PM

Since the main concern is/was the HDD:
ATTO HDD Benchmark - http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B...

Testing & Benchmark Tools: Prime95, CPU-Z, CoreTemp 0.99.6, Memtest86+, & 3DMarkVantage

1. Prime 95 as a "Stress Test" [overnight.]
link - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

2. CPU-Z for Settings Summary
link - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

3. CoreTemp 0.99.6
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

4. Memtest86+ to check memory corruption (ISO~Bootable CD/DVD)
link - http://www.memtest.org/

5. 3DMark
link - http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkvantage/intr...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 6:53:54 PM

I gotta ask (again) - obviously this is, guestimate, $2K+ system why NOT an SSD as primary???????

tkblingx2 said:
And lastly I dont know why I didnt just list my entire setup before but here it is.
(one thing is I have 1600 RAM but the system only recognizes and clocks them at 1066mhz. Since I bought a combo deal off of newegg I cant return them for slower speed ones so I was hoping there was a way to OC them...didnt read the memory article written by bilbat till later on

You'll need to manually input the values. Yep, your MOBO will light-up like an Xmas Tree, but just ignore them unless they'll RED as listed in the Manual.

UD3R XMP List - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...
Unfortunately, your Corsair (CMP6GX3M3A1600C7) is not supported, and if your try XMP in the BIOS more than likely it eiter won't post or BSOD.

If you overclock then remember Round Down ( 1600 / BCLK = Memory multiplier ) {e.g. Stock 1600 / 133.33 = 12 } ; next set your timings 7-8-7-20 ; Also per Corsair {Manually set the timings to 7-8-7-20-2T and the memory voltage to 1.65v. Then adjust the QPI voltage slightly to 1.25v }
m
l
July 24, 2010 7:12:16 PM

Ya around that.
For me right now I need the disk space. I looked at a SSD but the one problem was i wanted at least 250GBs for the primary drive and I didnt want to drop $500 on that. Plus the HDD is something thats easy to upgrade in the future anyways.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 7:30:34 PM

I edited above.

I have both the 128 GB & 256 GB, and the 256 was/is overkill for OS + Apps, and by Default all of "My Documents, My Pictures, etc" have been MOVED to the HDDs...
m
l
July 24, 2010 7:46:52 PM

I have to have quite a few suites on my C drive and also have some builds on them also. An SSD will be something that I will def look at again in the future (maybe in like a year) but for now these will do :) 
I am a fan of your idea to move all the Docs Pics Music to a different drive though :)  Ill have to figure out how to change the defaults tonight in Win7

EDIT:
Just looked it up, super easy :)  haha
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 8:11:25 PM

Easy! But When you move the FOLDERS create a Host Folder ~ MyDocs on the target HDD for EVERY Moved Folder.

My Documents -> remapped -> MyDocs
My Pictures -> remapped -> MyPics
ETC...

After you move them they will show-up as My Documents. DO NOT move/point to the {Letter Drive "D" itself} but instead use the new D/MyDocs - FOLDER! You have the option to move all of the current contents ~ choose that option.

Link - http://hubpages.com/hub/Windows-7_-_Moving_My_Documents
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 24, 2010 8:14:16 PM

tkblingx2 said:

EDIT:
Just looked it up, super easy :)  haha

Question, after you set your RAM speeds to 1600 are your MOBO indicator(s) ON??
m
l
July 24, 2010 9:09:39 PM

jaquith said:
Question, after you set your RAM speeds to 1600 are your MOBO indicator(s) ON??

Oh sorry I ment that for the setting up the default folder for my documents and such.
I'm still at work, and will be like another 8 hours at least so I won't have time till later to try to OC the ram.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 1:59:27 AM

In case you get that far:

GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel i7-930 x21mult 2.8GHz .8-1.375V 130W TDP (to 3.36/4.0GHz)
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3-1600MHz (CMP6GX3M3A1600C7): 7-8-7-20-?t 1.65v nominal

'Gentle' overclock (3.36 w/stock cooling) are in italics; faster OC (with any other cooling!) are in bold!

Uninstall any GIGABYTE 'system software': EasyTune 6, Dynamic Energy Saver, Smart 6, Auto Green...

If you haven't yet done it, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults" with only three sticks of RAM in the white slots...

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

Now, the next step is the most time consuming - we've got to 'sidestep' XMP's limitations. The only reliable way to get the XMP timings for your RAM is to enable XMP - BUT - enabling XMP 'locks out' most all the other OCing parameter changes. Easy to get around, though. Having done a LoadOpt to set up the main config, the next thing you need to do is enable XMP, <F10> to save, exit, and reboot - and then run a pass of MemTest86+ (instructions for D/Ling and 'prepping' MemTest about the middle of Part IV - "Tweaking and tuning") to verify the the XMP for your DIMMs actually works! Assuming it's successful, go into the BIOS, and on the "Advanced Memory Settings" sub-page of the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page of your BIOS, write down (preferable in a neat, tidy, easy-to-read table - extra points here for neatness!! Actually, neatness doesn't count toward your overclock, but accuracy does - if you make a mistake anywhere, you'll, guaranteed, have the devil's [:lorbat:8] own time finding it!) the "Channel Interleaving" and "Rank Interleaving" settings; then, enter the "Channel A Timing Settings" 'sub-sub-page' (?!), and write down all the settings. If I am correct, it will display two sets of timings - on the left, it will show you the 'LoadOpt's 'Auto' parameters; on the right, labeled either XMP or 'Profile (number?) settings', it will show you the 'fast RAM' parameters - these are the ones you need... As an example, here is a table from a client's machine (different platform...):

CAS 7
tRCD 8
tRP 7
tRAS 24

tRC 40
tRRD 5
tWTR 6
tWR 12
tWTP 23
tWL 7
tRFC 88
tRTP 6
tFAW 50
tCMD 2
static tRD 15

Next, 'back out', and go to the " Channel A Turnaround Settings" 'sub-sub-page' (?if they get many more 'layers' of menuing, I'm gonna lose it!), and scribble those down as well. Now back out again, and look at both sets of 'channel B's' & 'channel C's' - they should be the same - just double check, and note anything differing...

On to the 'quick' part! First, disable XMP. Then, while you're still 'familiar' with those memory pages, go back and set all of 'em - to the values you wrote down - and don't forget to check the two on the 'main page', "Channel Interleaving" and "Rank Interleaving"... To set these, start with:

"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Expert"...

Once they're all set -

...next, two adjustments for the fact that you are running two DIMMs per channel - XMP values are 'figured' for a single module per channel:
Set "Command Rate(CMD)" to "2", "2T", or "2N" (whichever way your BIOS shows it...)
Take the number you wrote down for the tRFC, multiply it by 1.15, round up to the next highest integer, and set tRFC to the resultant value...

At this point, I usually do an <F11> save to BIOS, just so I can easily 'get back to where I was', calling it something like "RAMisSet"...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"CPU Clock Ratio" should already be at "X21"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated

On the "Advanced CPU Features" sub-page (there we go again![:fixitbil:9] ):

"Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech." to "Enabled"
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor" to "Enabled
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Bi-Directional PROCHOT" to "Enabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled", if you intend to use it - it has costs...

On the "UnCore & QPI Features" sub-page:

"QPI Clock Ratio" to "X48"
"QPI Clock Ratio" to "X44"
"QPI Clock Ratio" to "X36"
"Uncore Clock Ratio" to "X25"
"Uncore Clock Ratio" to "X21"
"Uncore Clock Ratio" to "X17"
"Isochronous Support" to "Enabled"

...under "Standard Clock Control":

"Base Clock(BCLK) Control" to "Enabled"
"BCLK Frequency(Mhz)" to "133"
"BCLK Frequency(Mhz)" to "160"
"BCLK Frequency(Mhz)" to "190"

...under "Advanced Clock Control":

...should all be OK as set...

On the "Advanced DRAM Features" sub-page"

"System Memory Multiplier" to "X12"
"System Memory Multiplier" to "X10"
"System Memory Multiplier" to "X8"

On the "Advanced Voltage Settings" sub-page:

"Load-Line Calibration" is anyone's guess - this seems to work differently on every single board I do - even, sometimes, differing between boards of the same model with different CPUs! My best guess - start with it at "Standard", and, maybe, adjust when 'running thermals'...
"CPU Vcore" to "1.325V" - idea here is to start high, to get 'er stable first, then reduce voltage when 'running thermals' - doing it the other way - starting low, and trying to 'creep up' the Vcore is a real PITA, as, often, if the MOBO's not 'happy' with OC settings, she'll 'crank back' to the LoadOpt parameters - and you lose anything you didn't have the foresight to 'save to BIOS'!

"CPU Vcore" to "Auto"
"CPU Vcore" to "1.2375V"
"CPU Vcore" to "1.300V"
"QPI/Vtt Voltage" to "1.250V"
"PCH Core" to "1.10V"
"DRAM Voltage" to "1.68V" - 'even' increments only - need the slightly higher Vdimm as you are running two DIMMs per channel...

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"Quick Boot" to "Disabled"
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled" (easier to get into the BIOS + lets you 'see' the POST...

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

...disable everything you're not actually planning on using - no 1394 port - turn it off!; same for serial port, eSATA, etc - if you don't need it, the processor/system doesn't need the 'overhead' either!

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (S3 is notoriously difficult to get working properly on OC'd boards...)

On the "PC Health Status" page:

"CPU Warning Temperature" to "70C"

And that should do it! Time for, first, an <F11> 'save to BIOS', followed by an <F10> save & exit - power down, add the other three sticks of RAM - hopefully, she'll reboot, and WORK!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill
m
l
July 25, 2010 3:32:00 PM

Didnt have any time last night to start the overclocking process but I did install PC status programs from the list provided above. One thing I'm semi concerned about is at the stock speed of 2.8 ghz the cpu is around the mid 40 degrees C when idle and goes up to the mid to high 60s when running the prime95 test. I feel like this might be on the higher side of "normal" for the i7 930s but is OCing the core still fine at these base temps?
Thanks
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 3:50:45 PM

How did you 'paste' the CPU? Sounds like a somewhat poor thermal conductivity issue, and shouldn't be - that cooler has plenty 'oomph'! My experience with CoolerMaster, as mentioned, has been nothing but excellent... I'll D/L and read the cooler install manual; in the meantime, did it come with paste, or'd you use somthing like Arctic? I, when I first ventured into these recent boards, used a couple slabs of clear plexi or polycarbonate to 'squeeze' a number of sample paste applications, and watch the 'spread'. Best results - start with a 'blob' about the size of a grain of rice, in the center, push the sink down and 'wiggle it' back & forth in 'rotary' fashion, to seat it - then, set the pins/locks/screws/what-have-you... Found that any attempt to 'spread it', by any means, before mounting, results in 'voids' (entrained air bubbles, actually) in the paste. Obviously, if your cooler had the paste silk-screened onto the contact area from the factory, the issue is moot...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 3:59:56 PM

tkblingx2 said:
stock speed of 2.8 ghz the cpu is around the mid 40 degrees C when idle and goes up to the mid to high 60s when running the prime95 test. I feel like this might be on the higher side of "normal" for the i7 930s but is OCing the core still fine at these base temps?
Thanks

NO - way HIGH! Turn up the fan to between Low ~ [MID] ~ High, or as High as you can until it's "noisy" to you...
m
l
July 25, 2010 4:16:06 PM

Ok when I get home tonight I'll try reseating the heatsink, also re paste if it seems like theres too much.

I used Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

EDIT:
Aready had the fan set to high. And F I just figured out that I had the fan/heatsink backwards thanks to the incorrect instructions that came with it. Gonna switch it around tonight, also check the amount of paste, and will update again with temps after that. :) 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 4:23:48 PM

tkblingx2 said:
...BIOS and raid1

Important Question, are your primary HDD "still" in RAID 1?? Are there other HDD in SATA2_0 ~ SATA2_5

Earlier, yes DVD/CD SATA2_4 ~ SATA2_5 are OK.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 5:06:59 PM

Well, still haven't learned much - thought I'd check the manual to see if there were any 'gotcha's in the install - manual I can D/L (which has obviously has been superseded) shows neither parts nor installation for either 1156 or 1366 socketed chips! jaquith has it right, though - crank the speed control all the way to the high side. It's apparently just a pot in the 12V supply (pin 2) - cranking it high will effectively lower its resistance to zero, providing the fan with the full header-supplied voltage... After you've OC'd , tweaked everything, and 'run thermals', we can see if you might 'twist it down a bit'!
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 25, 2010 5:32:29 PM

[Airflow Pressure Test]
Also, try the following to make certain that you have good airflow in your case:
1. Remove the side panel and Run "stress" Prime95 for at least 10 minutes ; check the temperatures {High}.

2. Reinstall the side panel and do the same.

If the temperature difference is > 3-5C then you've got an airflow issue. Rule of thumb you want a "slightly" > CFM going out of the case. {remember not all e.g. 120mm fans are the same} One more reason for a Fan Controller. A lot of cases are full of "mesh" to help avoid positive case pressure, and therefore "FLOW" becomes more important {At AND Away from the "Hot-Spots"}
m
l
July 26, 2010 4:05:16 AM

Ok correctly placed the heatsink, and reapplied paste, used less then last time since I think I over did it.
At idle the cores are around the mid 30s. ~37 33 36 33
With prime95 running for a few mins theyre hitting the low 60s at their highest :) 
Highs were 63 61 60 58. While primes running the heatsink fan is running at full speed, 1720+ rpms.

Much better than before!!
Hopefully this is whats considered normal.

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 26, 2010 4:08:13 AM

Where are you at? What's your ambient?
m
l
!