MB : asus extreme 79
CPU: i7 3960x
case : cooler master sniper SCG
water coolig for CPU : crosair H80

already installed parts

GPUs : zotac 590 + zotac 560TI for physx
ram : 24 GB DDR3 1600mhz KINGMAX
PSU : odin 800w

so what i want to know is how far an i OC i7 3960x with crosair h80 ?!!

thanx

Solution
4.0 = 200w @1.35v. 4.2=209w @1.35v so that's about right on but will depend on actual volts needed for stability.

Stock TDP is 130w so stock cooler (or any cooler for that matter) should be fine. However, I wouldn't consider even a good air cooler or an H-series cooler for overclocking this chip. You really don't need to OC it at all- it's incredibly powerful as it is at stock speeds.

This isn't a CPU speed race anymore; it's a processing of threads per clock cycle race. Upping your CPU clock speed will do little more than just give you higher benchmark scores; nothing more.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
4.0 = 200w @1.35v. 4.2=209w @1.35v so that's about right on but will depend on actual volts needed for stability.

Stock TDP is 130w so stock cooler (or any cooler for that matter) should be fine. However, I wouldn't consider even a good air cooler or an H-series cooler for overclocking this chip. You really don't need to OC it at all- it's incredibly powerful as it is at stock speeds.

This isn't a CPU speed race anymore; it's a processing of threads per clock cycle race. Upping your CPU clock speed will do little more than just give you higher benchmark scores; nothing more.

Solution

Mine hits about 220 watts at 1.31 volts at 4Ghz but that includes all components. The IA cores alone hit about 190 watts.

Unfortunately there is no stock cooler for the LGA 2011 chips and Intel's reference cooler is actually a water loop

kiko_55

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

so do you recommend OC using h-100 + 4.ghz ?! is that safe ?

The H-100 isn't horrible. It's sufficiently more compact than a custom water cooling loop and easier to install than any air cooler. The lack of a reservoir means that the water heats up fast and reaches equilibrium faster

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The H-100 isn't horrible. It's sufficiently more compact than a custom water cooling loop and easier to install than any air cooler. The lack of a reservoir means that the water heats up fast and reaches equilibrium faster

You can have a watercooling loop without a reservoir at all and it would still hand this thing it's own behind. It has nothing to do with the volume of water in the reservoir (or no reservoir)- all watercooling tests are done with the water at working equilibrium anyway. The pump flow is horrid and the only thing working for it is the 240 radiator.

The H100 isn't horrible; no, I agree...but not worth the money when you can buy some great intro watercooling kits for only a few more $$ and cheaper air coolers perform on-par with it. Being 'easy to setup' isn't worth the price premium and lackluster performance.

kiko_55

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
so i should go with h-100 ?? since it's much cheaper

but i got a word from another overcloking forum that extreme water 2.0 is way better than h-100 !!!

to be honest al i want is a good water oolig item that is solid and can get me to 4.4ghz at max i'm not razy about OC too much

but i'm afraid it won't fit my case cooler master sniper SCG

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
so i should go with h-100 ?? since it's much cheaper
Much cheaper than what?

but i got a word from another overcloking forum that extreme water 2.0 is way better than h-100 !!!
What forum is this? I'd be curious how they came to this conclusion- they are almost identical coolers.

to be honest al i want is a good water oolig item that is solid and can get me to 4.4ghz at max i'm not razy about OC too much
Stock speed for your CPU is 3.3? A 1.1ghz speed change would be a 'crazy OC'. I think you are somewhat confused on what you really want to do, here? Do you even know if your chip can get to that speed and sustain? Do you know how to overclock, or do you just use the fancy buttons and GUI?

I think you are missing the larger issue here- why do you need to OC a 3960x if you aren't even sure how to determine effective cooling for the chip at those speeds? What does the CPU not do at 3.3ghz or even 3.8ghz that it needs to run at 4.4ghz? I understand the desire to overclock, but what is the reason behind it? I'll state again:

kiko_55

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Much cheaper than what?

than water extreme 2.0 !!!

What forum is this? I'd be curious how they came to this conclusion- they are almost identical coolers.

pureovercloking

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/cpu-overclocking/17799-upgrading-i7-3960x-six-core-2.html

Stock speed for your CPU is 3.3? A 1.1ghz speed change would be a 'crazy OC'. I think you are somewhat confused on what you really want to do, here? Do you even know if your chip can get to that speed and sustain? Do you know how to overclock, or do you just use the fancy buttons and GUI?

I think you are missing the larger issue here- why do you need to OC a 3960x if you aren't even sure how to determine effective cooling for the chip at those speeds? What does the CPU not do at 3.3ghz or even 3.8ghz that it needs to run at 4.4ghz? I understand the desire to overclock, but what is the reason behind it? I'll state again:

i have to admit that i'm not an expert in OC but i did OC i7 950 to 3.88 safely with cool master v6 gt

however what i want is a cpu that can handle 1080p rendering operations smoothly and fast

i'm not looking for 4.4 or crazy about it i'm just saying that i want to OC to the safest spot with h-100 or water extreme 2.0 if ever bought it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS