Internal burner not detected - Tosh 1805

Rrrr,

I'm trying to swap a cd-rw/dvd-rom (Tosh SD-R2512) for the original cd-
dvd/rom (Tosh SD-C2502). Laptop is a Satellite 1805-S254, XP Pro.

With the v1.8 bios I get an IDE#1 error and the burner isn't detected
in the os. Changing the bios all the way up to the last available,
v2.10, the thing won't boot into the os. When it hangs, the cd tray
will open as if it's detected.

On a dvd forum there're hacks offered for making the dvd region-free,
and suggestions for changing the cd-rw firmware to rom ver 1720. But
nowhere have I found *that* firmware. It's currently set at 1020,
according to the label. I really don't care about region-free, I just
need to get the unit detected.

Someone else, with a similar Tosh laptop- different cd-rw, said they
got an IDE#1 error but their cd-rw was detected and functioned in spite
of it.

I've ordered a mini-to-ide adapter to determine if the cd-rw is
defective or not.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about internal burner detected tosh 1805

    I think I'm the "other guy" you refer to.

    In a 2805-S202, I also get an "IDE #1 Error" on powerup with a Toshiba
    SD-R2212 drive installed. I can't boot from the drive, but within
    Windows, it is detected and works properly in all 3 modes (CD, DVD, CDRW
    burner).

    If you get any further information on this, I'd appreciate learning of it.

    Greg M wrote:

    > Rrrr,
    >
    > I'm trying to swap a cd-rw/dvd-rom (Tosh SD-R2512) for the original cd-
    > dvd/rom (Tosh SD-C2502). Laptop is a Satellite 1805-S254, XP Pro.
    >
    > With the v1.8 bios I get an IDE#1 error and the burner isn't detected
    > in the os. Changing the bios all the way up to the last available,
    > v2.10, the thing won't boot into the os. When it hangs, the cd tray
    > will open as if it's detected.
    >
    > On a dvd forum there're hacks offered for making the dvd region-free,
    > and suggestions for changing the cd-rw firmware to rom ver 1720. But
    > nowhere have I found *that* firmware. It's currently set at 1020,
    > according to the label. I really don't care about region-free, I just
    > need to get the unit detected.
    >
    > Someone else, with a similar Tosh laptop- different cd-rw, said they
    > got an IDE#1 error but their cd-rw was detected and functioned in spite
    > of it.
    >
    > I've ordered a mini-to-ide adapter to determine if the cd-rw is
    > defective or not.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

    Found this on a web search for "Toshiba IDE #1 Error":

    "I then found some info. but it was German so I tried to have had it
    translated and then worked out that if I connect pin/connectors 47 & 45
    together it solves the poblem. Drives have no IDE #1 ERRORS and were
    succesfully flashed to RPC1 (Region free)."

    Greg M wrote:

    > Rrrr,
    >
    > I'm trying to swap a cd-rw/dvd-rom (Tosh SD-R2512) for the original cd-
    > dvd/rom (Tosh SD-C2502). Laptop is a Satellite 1805-S254, XP Pro.
    >
    > With the v1.8 bios I get an IDE#1 error and the burner isn't detected
    > in the os. Changing the bios all the way up to the last available,
    > v2.10, the thing won't boot into the os. When it hangs, the cd tray
    > will open as if it's detected.
    >
    > On a dvd forum there're hacks offered for making the dvd region-free,
    > and suggestions for changing the cd-rw firmware to rom ver 1720. But
    > nowhere have I found *that* firmware. It's currently set at 1020,
    > according to the label. I really don't care about region-free, I just
    > need to get the unit detected.
    >
    > Someone else, with a similar Tosh laptop- different cd-rw, said they
    > got an IDE#1 error but their cd-rw was detected and functioned in spite
    > of it.
    >
    > I've ordered a mini-to-ide adapter to determine if the cd-rw is
    > defective or not.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

    Apparently, jumpering pins 45 & 47 sets the drive to slave. I've found
    multiple references to this, many people are finding that it does solve
    the problem on many models of Toshiba laptops (and some reports with
    Sony laptops also), on many models of different DVD/CDRW drives. I'm
    looking for a drawing of the pinout of the drive. Apparently there are
    JPEGs floating around of what you have to do, but I have not found them.

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > Found this on a web search for "Toshiba IDE #1 Error":
    >
    > "I then found some info. but it was German so I tried to have had it
    > translated and then worked out that if I connect pin/connectors 47 & 45
    > together it solves the poblem. Drives have no IDE #1 ERRORS and were
    > succesfully flashed to RPC1 (Region free)."
    >

    > Greg M wrote:
    >
    >> Rrrr,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to swap a cd-rw/dvd-rom (Tosh SD-R2512) for the original cd-
    >> dvd/rom (Tosh SD-C2502). Laptop is a Satellite 1805-S254, XP Pro.
    >>
    >> With the v1.8 bios I get an IDE#1 error and the burner isn't detected
    >> in the os. Changing the bios all the way up to the last available,
    >> v2.10, the thing won't boot into the os. When it hangs, the cd tray
    >> will open as if it's detected.
    >>
    >> On a dvd forum there're hacks offered for making the dvd region-free,
    >> and suggestions for changing the cd-rw firmware to rom ver 1720. But
    >> nowhere have I found *that* firmware. It's currently set at 1020,
    >> according to the label. I really don't care about region-free, I just
    >> need to get the unit detected.
    >> Someone else, with a similar Tosh laptop- different cd-rw, said they
    >> got an IDE#1 error but their cd-rw was detected and functioned in
    >> spite of it.
    >>
    >> I've ordered a mini-to-ide adapter to determine if the cd-rw is
    >> defective or not.
    >> Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

    Thanks Barry, I think you're right about you being the source. <g>

    The 2512 has a decal with pin positions on it.

    Region-free stuff, and some bits of info,

    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=15&manufactor=31

    Newegg pic of drive:
    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/27-130-023-02.JPG

    The far upper left pin is marked CSEL, pin 47 or 48. I don't have the
    drive in front of me. I'm trying to do this for a buddy. I'll get a pic
    of it, or a better description of the decal, but later today.

    I might redo the bios to v1.80, install the cd-rw and see if I can get
    XP to detect it in _that_ device manager. I'm not used to XP yet.
    <oye!> It boots with the earlier bioses but wouldn't with the latest.

    As far as jumpering, I think it needs to be jumpered to Master, but
    the bios is so bloody bare. And how would you figure to jumper it?
    Cold? Or with power, 5v or 12v? <shudder> I've got a bunch-a-time in
    this already. <G>

    Looking over your post it appears that maybe pins 45 and 47 are
    jumpered while also using the mini to ide adapter I mentioned. In a PC.
    That looks damn tough to do, those connectors are tiny.

    Thanks for your reply.

    - Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> - spluttered in

    > Apparently, jumpering pins 45 & 47 sets the drive to slave. I've
    > found multiple references to this, many people are finding that it
    > does solve the problem on many models of Toshiba laptops (and some
    > reports with Sony laptops also), on many models of different
    > DVD/CDRW drives. I'm looking for a drawing of the pinout of the
    > drive. Apparently there are JPEGs floating around of what you
    > have to do, but I have not found them.
    >

    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >
    >> Found this on a web search for "Toshiba IDE #1 Error":
    >>
    >> "I then found some info. but it was German so I tried to have had
    >> it translated and then worked out that if I connect
    >> pin/connectors 47 & 45 together it solves the poblem. Drives have
    >> no IDE #1 ERRORS and were succesfully flashed to RPC1 (Region
    >> free)."

    >>> I'm trying to swap a cd-rw/dvd-rom (Tosh SD-R2512) for the
    >>> original cd- dvd/rom (Tosh SD-C2502). Laptop is a Satellite
    >>> 1805-S254, XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> With the v1.8 bios I get an IDE#1 error and the burner isn't
    >>> detected in the os. Changing the bios all the way up to the last
    >>> available, v2.10, the thing won't boot into the os. When it
    >>> hangs, the cd tray will open as if it's detected.
    >>>
    >>> On a dvd forum there're hacks offered for making the dvd
    >>> region-free, and suggestions for changing the cd-rw firmware to
    >>> rom ver 1720. But nowhere have I found *that* firmware. It's
    >>> currently set at 1020, according to the label. I really don't
    >>> care about region-free, I just need to get the unit detected.
    >>> Someone else, with a similar Tosh laptop- different cd-rw, said
    >>> they got an IDE#1 error but their cd-rw was detected and
    >>> functioned in spite of it.
    >>>
    >>> I've ordered a mini-to-ide adapter to determine if the cd-rw is
    >>> defective or not.

    Per my previous post, in a 2805-S202, I also get an "IDE #1 Error" on
    powerup with a Toshiba SD-R2212 drive installed. I can't boot from the
    drive, but within Windows, it is detected and works properly in all 3
    modes (CD, DVD, CDRW burner).I have more information on the "IDE #1
    Error" problem when changing the optical drives in many Toshiba (and
    some other)laptops. Note that I have not yet actually tried what
    follows myself.

    Apparently jumpering pins 45 & 47 fixes the "IDE #1 Error" problem in
    many/most cases. Pin 47 is "cable select", pin 45 is ground (note, pin
    48 is also a ground, but 45 & 47 are right next to each other); I'm
    getting conflicting information about whether this mod makes the drive
    "master" or "slave", but I'm finding lots of reports that it does
    resolve the problem with a whole lot of both different notebooks and
    different drives. The jumper may be installed either in the drive or at
    the drive connector or on the laptop motherboard.

    The connector is a Japan Aviation Electronics Industry Limited
    KX15-50KLD L; it has 50 pins in 2 rows of 25 pins each. There seems to
    be a multi-vendor informal standard for the use of this connector in
    laptop optical drives, pin #1 is towards the edge of the drive, pin 50
    is towards the center of the drive, one row contains odd pins 1-49, the
    other row contains even pins 2-50. However, the one thing that I have
    not been able to find out is how to clearly identify which row is the
    odd row and which row is the even row. I believe, however, that the row
    towards the drive circuit board is the even row (which is unfortunate,
    because it's easy to get to the pins, while it's the odd row that you need).

    So, if I have this right, you need to jumper the 2nd from the end pin on
    the top row to the 3rd from the end pin.

    From your post:

    Region-free stuff, and some bits of info,

    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=15&manufactor=31

    Newegg pic of drive:
    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/27-130-023-02.JPG

    An adapter for connecting a laptop optical drive to a standard 40-pin
    IDE port can be found here:

    http://www.bixnet.com/notslimcdtod.html

    Note, this adapter would be for some other use. The jumper to CSEL pin
    47 (not the last (left-most) pin, but the next to last) is installed
    permanently, not "one time".

    Greg M wrote:

    > Thanks Barry, I think you're right about you being the source. <g>
    >
    > The 2512 has a decal with pin positions on it.
    >
    > Region-free stuff, and some bits of info,
    >
    > http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=15&manufactor=31
    >
    > Newegg pic of drive:
    > http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/27-130-023-02.JPG
    >

    > The far upper left pin is marked CSEL, pin 47 or 48. I don't have the
    > drive in front of me. I'm trying to do this for a buddy. I'll get a pic
    > of it, or a better description of the decal, but later today.
    >
    > I might redo the bios to v1.80, install the cd-rw and see if I can get
    > XP to detect it in _that_ device manager. I'm not used to XP yet.
    > <oye!> It boots with the earlier bioses but wouldn't with the latest.
    >
    > As far as jumpering, I think it needs to be jumpered to Master, but
    > the bios is so bloody bare. And how would you figure to jumper it?
    > Cold? Or with power, 5v or 12v? <shudder> I've got a bunch-a-time in
    > this already. <G>
    >
    > Looking over your post it appears that maybe pins 45 and 47 are
    > jumpered while also using the mini to ide adapter I mentioned. In a PC.
    > That looks damn tough to do, those connectors are tiny.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > - Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> - spluttered in
    >

    >>Apparently, jumpering pins 45 & 47 sets the drive to slave. I've
    >>found multiple references to this, many people are finding that it
    >>does solve the problem on many models of Toshiba laptops (and some
    >>reports with Sony laptops also), on many models of different
    >>DVD/CDRW drives. I'm looking for a drawing of the pinout of the
    >>drive. Apparently there are JPEGs floating around of what you
    >>have to do, but I have not found them.
    >>

    >>Barry Watzman wrote:
    >>

    >>>Found this on a web search for "Toshiba IDE #1 Error":
    >>>
    >>>"I then found some info. but it was German so I tried to have had
    >>>it translated and then worked out that if I connect
    >>>pin/connectors 47 & 45 together it solves the poblem. Drives have
    >>>no IDE #1 ERRORS and were succesfully flashed to RPC1 (Region
    >>>free)."

    (mailed and posted)

    [Hope you get this pic. SD-R2512 decal.] I mailed the pics (2) to your
    email. Otherwise I could post them to some binary ng.

    Took the cover off of the drive. If a jumper is the only thing needed,
    the connector on the board had exposed flat wires (that feed the 50
    pin).

    Raised up like inverted little "L"s, typical of alot of comp
    connectors. I imagine the jumper could be soldered to the inside, which
    would be much more reliable IMO.

    Also, the dvd-rom I removed is marked as M/S for pin 47. The cd-rw/rom
    is marked CSEL, pin 47.

    I'll chase on Google myself now. I'd like to see some verification for
    the jumpering.

    I left a report on the Newegg page, but they seem to have filtered it.
    How nice of them. Grrr.

    The adapter I mentioned is used to install the slim drive in a very
    small-form case. I suppose that's all.

    > Per my previous post, in a 2805-S202, I also get an "IDE #1 Error"
    > on powerup with a Toshiba SD-R2212 drive installed. I can't boot
    > from the drive, but within Windows, it is detected and works
    > properly in all 3 modes (CD, DVD, CDRW burner).I have more
    > information on the "IDE #1 Error" problem when changing the
    > optical drives in many Toshiba (and some other)laptops. Note that
    > I have not yet actually tried what follows myself.
    >
    > Apparently jumpering pins 45 & 47 fixes the "IDE #1 Error" problem
    > in many/most cases. Pin 47 is "cable select", pin 45 is ground
    > (note, pin 48 is also a ground, but 45 & 47 are right next to each
    > other); I'm getting conflicting information about whether this mod
    > makes the drive "master" or "slave", but I'm finding lots of
    > reports that it does resolve the problem with a whole lot of both
    > different notebooks and different drives. The jumper may be
    > installed either in the drive or at the drive connector or on the
    > laptop motherboard.
    >
    > The connector is a Japan Aviation Electronics Industry Limited
    > KX15-50KLD L; it has 50 pins in 2 rows of 25 pins each. There
    > seems to be a multi-vendor informal standard for the use of this
    > connector in laptop optical drives, pin #1 is towards the edge of
    > the drive, pin 50 is towards the center of the drive, one row
    > contains odd pins 1-49, the other row contains even pins 2-50.
    > However, the one thing that I have not been able to find out is
    > how to clearly identify which row is the odd row and which row is
    > the even row. I believe, however, that the row towards the drive
    > circuit board is the even row (which is unfortunate, because it's
    > easy to get to the pins, while it's the odd row that you need).
    >
    > So, if I have this right, you need to jumper the 2nd from the end
    > pin on the top row to the 3rd from the end pin.
    >

    > From your post:
    >
    > Region-free stuff, and some bits of info,
    >
    > http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=15&manufactor=31
    >
    > Newegg pic of drive:
    > http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/27-130-023-02.JPG
    >
    > An adapter for connecting a laptop optical drive to a standard
    > 40-pin IDE port can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.bixnet.com/notslimcdtod.html
    >
    > Note, this adapter would be for some other use. The jumper to
    > CSEL pin 47 (not the last (left-most) pin, but the next to last)
    > is installed permanently, not "one time".
    >
    > If you get any further information on this, I'd appreciate
    > learning of it.
    >

    > Greg M wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Barry, I think you're right about you being the source.
    >> <g>
    >>
    >> The 2512 has a decal with pin positions on it.

    Ok, I made the modification and it did indeed fix the "IDE #1 Error"
    problem. I made it the way that the guy did in the picture, exactly --
    a "solder bridge" (blob) between the two pins. All fixed now, can even
    boot from the optical drive again. So it's definitely a master/slave
    issue, the drive is not configured in a manner compatible with many laptops.

    http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.dschen.de/laptop_brenner/

    WARNING: Making this modification requires not only soldering, but
    EXTREMELY fine soldering. Most users will not be able to perform this
    on their own. The pictures are deceptive, these pins are only a couple
    hundredths of an inch wide and a couple hundredths of an inch apart.

    Greg M wrote:
> [...]
    >>pin on the top row to the 3rd from the end pin.
    >>

    >> From your post:
    >>
    >>Region-free stuff, and some bits of info,
    >>
    >>http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=15&manufactor=31
    >>
    >>Newegg pic of drive:
    >>http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/27-130-023-02.JPG
    >>
    >>An adapter for connecting a laptop optical drive to a standard
    >>40-pin IDE port can be found here:
    >>
    >>http://www.bixnet.com/notslimcdtod.html
    >>
    >>Note, this adapter would be for some other use. The jumper to
    >>CSEL pin 47 (not the last (left-most) pin, but the next to last)
    >>is installed permanently, not "one time".
    >>
    >>If you get any further information on this, I'd appreciate
    >>learning of it.
    >>

    >>Greg M wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thanks Barry, I think you're right about you being the source.
    >>><g>
    >>>
    >>>The 2512 has a decal with pin positions on it.

    Going over the dschen site, the pin-out description at the very bottom,
    it appears that making #47 open would create a slave setting and
    soldering #47 and #45 (gnd) would set the drive to master.

    I'm sure the one I have needs to be set to master as you have done
    with yours. I guess I'll have to take the chance that the drive will be
    detected in XP. It is detected at the bios level, it's listed as found,
    but that's as far as it gets.

> [...]
    >>>circuit board is the even row (which is unfortunate, because it's
    >>>easy to get to the pins, while it's the odd row that you need).
    >>>
    >>>So, if I have this right, you need to jumper the 2nd from the end
    >>>pin on the top row to the 3rd from the end pin.
    >>>

    >>> From your post:
    >>>
    >>>Region-free stuff, and some bits of info,
    >>>
    >>>http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=15&manufactor=31
    >>>
    >>>Newegg pic of drive:
    >>>http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/27-130-023-02.JPG
    >>>
    >>>An adapter for connecting a laptop optical drive to a standard
    >>>40-pin IDE port can be found here:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.bixnet.com/notslimcdtod.html
    >>>
    >>>Note, this adapter would be for some other use. The jumper to
    >>>CSEL pin 47 (not the last (left-most) pin, but the next to last)
    >>>is installed permanently, not "one time".
    >>>
    >>>If you get any further information on this, I'd appreciate
    <snip>

    from http://fsai.fh-trier.de/~gielj/M6800N/doc/SD-R2512briefspec_V10.pdf

    9. Device Configuration Jumper

    9.1. Master Mode Setting

    Short-circuit the PIN 47 and PIN 48 of I/O connectors.

    9.2. Slave Mode Setting

    Open the PIN 47 of I/O connectors.

    (Optional)

    9.1. Master Mode Setting

    Open the PIN 47 of I/O connectors.

    9.2. Slave Mode Setting

    Short-circuit the PIN 47 and PIN 48 of I/O connectors.

    SD-R2512 Rev.1.0

Laptops CD-Rom DVD Drives