Sign in with
Your question

Mobo w/ LGA 775 slot and onboard graphics for HDTV?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 21, 2010 8:49:23 PM

I have an old gaming rig that I want to repurpose as an HTPC. It currently uses two 8800 GTX GPUs which are loud and power hogs. My system uses DDR2 800 ram and has a qx6700 extreme quad core processor.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard that uses DDR2 Ram, has an LGA775 slot, and onboard graphics sufficient for smooth 1080p video playback with no skipping?

Worst case scenario, I figure I can go down to one 8800 GTX and that will be more than enough for HD playback, but I'd like the reduced noise and power draw of an onboard solution.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 9:52:28 PM

What about the Asus P5Q-VM DO? It features the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD chip, which if you look at the name, seems to able to play HD content.
m
l
July 21, 2010 10:07:12 PM

Nils said:
What about the Asus P5Q-VM DO? It features the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD chip, which if you look at the name, seems to able to play HD content.

Unfortunately, that won't work for me. I have the qx6700 quad core extreme processor, and the G45 chipset doesn't support extreme processors.

:-(

I'm thinking just going to a single 8800gtx will probably be my cheapest/easiest way to go. But thanks for the suggestion, and let me know if you can think of anything else.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 10:34:36 AM

Hi,

the only 775 board that I remember that have a good onboard video for htpc is GF9300-G-E from zotac.

However, I did not find if it supports the QX6700.

Most cheap 775 board will support the QX6700, but maybe not the unlocked ratio.

Anyway, the best solution is a cheap 775 board of your choice and a 5450.

I did build a spare pc with a GA-G41M-ES2L and I like it (it supports the QX6700) and is great for hackintosh.

Brad
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 1:19:31 PM

You would be better off keeping your current motherboard while switching out the GPU(s).
An ultra low power 5450 for $40-45 will cost quite a bit less than a new motherboard and has top notch video acceleration features.
Most 5450's are passively cooled to boot, giving you a much quieter system.

My 0.02€
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 4:20:52 PM

outlw6669 said:
You would be better off keeping your current motherboard while switching out the GPU(s).
An ultra low power 5450 for $40-45 will cost quite a bit less than a new motherboard and has top notch video acceleration features.
Most 5450's are passively cooled to boot, giving you a much quieter system.

My 0.02€

Might be a better solution. However, i don't know his current mobo, but if it's one that is running already hot, combined with his hot cpu and a passively cooled vga, which always runs hotter than a onboard card, it might get a little to hot for a htpc system. What case are you thinking of?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 6:12:17 PM

As long as there is a little airflow his temps should be quite good.
I would be willing to bet that his system runs quite a bit cooler than with a pair of 8800GTX's heating it up.....
Worst case, get a version that is not passive (though it will introduce a bit of noise).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2010 7:09:24 PM

Just mentioned it because it might be an issue, but if he gets a well cooled case, like you said, no problems should rise.

Just in case you're still considering the mobo I posted earlier, it uses the Q45 and not G45 chipset. It does support QX CPU's, only the strange thing is, the QX6700 is the only one not on the list. The QX6800, for example, is on the list, which is part of the same series as yours, only a little higher clock speed. It think they forgot the QX6700. Would contact asus about it.

Just went to Intel's site the check differences between QX6800 and QX6700. There are non apart from cpu clock. Should be supported by board thus.
However one other thing terrifies me and is a big argument for getting a new mobo instead of low power vga. Your cpu's TDP is 130W. Normally 45nm core 2 duo's with 65W are recommended for building a htpc system. Yours goes well beyond that, so I think extra heat from your mobo plus videocard will make your system very hot if you stress it (and my opinion is that a system should be possible to take any stress without overheating)
m
l
!