Your question

Mobo & CPU requirements for CrossfireX 5850

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2009 5:59:39 PM

Hi, need your help please! I'm trying to build a relatively future-proof gaming PC and keep my budget under control. (My current PC is so old it's a joke so I use 'em a long time so I don't want to invest now and then have to redo parts in a couple years.) I'd rather invest in something that will be really nice for a few years then add in another GPU later when the situation warrants.

I have a 24" monitor so 1900x1200 is desired. I've ordered a Radeon HD 5850. I don't overclock unless it's brain-dead simple as I'm not one to tinker with hardware: I just want it to work and give me a nice experience.

My question is: what is the minimum mobo & CPU I need to get to run it as CrossfireX in the future when I someday add another 5850?

I like the price on the AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz ($165) but am I correct in that I need a mobo with two dedicated PCIe-16 slots for CrossfireX? If so, there are very few on Newegg for the AMD. Intel is, of course, fine but it seems like the Core i5 will bind the CrossfireX and the i7 is darn expensive! (I guess I could get a suitable mobo and a core i5 for now and replace later when I add another 5850 but there's that wasted expense again.)

Any help & suggestions greatly appreciated!

More about : mobo cpu requirements crossfirex 5850

December 29, 2009 8:07:35 PM

Thanks, that's helpful! But will the GA-790XTA-UD4 handle two double width cards like the 5850? A post on NewEgg indicates it won't.
m
l
February 1, 2010 11:27:12 PM

I was just recently in the same spot as you are. I researched for weeks and finally decided on the 790XTA-UD4

USB 3.0
3X USB Power
SATA 3.0
RAID
AM3
DDR3
2X the normal amount of copper in the PCB
Crossfire

I have found this to be the most future-proof motherboard on the market. I bought it, using it now.

StarKiller66 said:
Thanks, that's helpful! But will the GA-790XTA-UD4 handle two double width cards like the 5850? A post on NewEgg indicates it won't.

m
l
!