Which do you suggest?

I'm thinking of buying a new desktop from gateway. Specifically a Gateway® DX4822-01.
the Specs are:
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor(2.6ghz)
Memory: 6gb DDR2
HDD: 1TB

and then the graphics card is a Integrated Intel® GMA X4500 Graphics, which I know is crap. I want to know what

is the best graphics card that is compatible with this computer for no more than $100 bucks. I really want to play

games like Dragon Age: Origins and Crysis. I think this is a great computer for me cuz I'm a video editor but I still

need a good graphics card for that and the games. So any suggestions would be really helpful. Here is a link to the

main website of this page for more info: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668313.php
8 answers Last reply
More about which suggest
  1. Hi, your specs are good, but its a big problem, u only have 300 watt power supply, and that will hold you down for perfomance, so i recommend u to buy a good power supply before you buy a graphic card.

I will help u with graphic cards later
  2. What resolution are you going to be playing at? The 300W PSU probably wont support even a 4770 so consider something like the 4670 for decent performance and low power, you wont be able to play crysis on high or anything but it should be playable
  3. aw didnt even check the power supply, forgot about that. i not too sure on the resolution prob on medium setting. high on a pc game is pretty ridiculous, so a medium setting should be more than enough. I'm use to playing on consoles so 720p and the occasional 1080p is what I use. Far as I'm concerned High setting on a pc game like crysis is way beyond that like 1600p or even 1900p.
  4. aim001 said:
    Hi, your specs are good, but its a big problem, u only have 300 watt power supply, and that will hold you down for perfomance, so i recommend u to buy a good power supply before you buy a graphic card.

I will help u with graphic cards later

aww ok what should i look for in a power supply. any specific settings i mean?
  5. I really wouldn't worry about upgrading the PSU....a 4670 is about as high as you can go anyway, and won't require a larger PSU.
  6. PCUSERFORLIFE said:
    I'm thinking of buying a new desktop from gateway. Specifically a Gateway® DX4822-01.
    the Specs are:
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor(2.6ghz)
    Memory: 6gb DDR2
    HDD: 1TB

and then the graphics card is a Integrated Intel® GMA X4500 Graphics, which I know is crap. I want to know what

is the best graphics card that is compatible with this computer for no more than $100 bucks. I really want to play

games like Dragon Age: Origins and Crysis. I think this is a great computer for me cuz I'm a video editor but I still

need a good graphics card for that and the games. So any suggestions would be really helpful. Here is a link to the

main website of this page for more info: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668313.php

The price you're paying for your Gateway - I'd throw an additional $15 and get the older Gateway SX2800-01. At least you'd walk away with Quad Core CPU and if you're doing graphics, that extra $15 will make a BIG difference.
  7. Gateway SX2800-01

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 / 2.33 GHz
    RAM 4 GB
    Intel GMA X4500
    220 Watt
  8. with a 220w PSU you wont be doing any gaming.

i know people are afraid to try it, but build a system. save money, get what you need. it only takes half an hour to put one together.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product