External keyboard for Dell Inspiron 9100

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 16, 2004 7:16:09 PM

I can't get an external keyboard to work on this computer. Tried 2
different MS ergonomic keyboards, and a Dell. None of them even flicker the
LED's. Any suggestions? Is it just me, and I need to try some more
hardware? All the keyboards are PS/2, and I've got a PS/2 to USB adapter.
I think I'll try digging up another one of those...

Clint
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 9:23:06 PM

On or about 7/16/2004 11:16 AM, it came to pass that Clint wrote:
> I can't get an external keyboard to work on this computer. Tried 2
> different MS ergonomic keyboards, and a Dell. None of them even flicker the
> LED's. Any suggestions? Is it just me, and I need to try some more
> hardware? All the keyboards are PS/2, and I've got a PS/2 to USB adapter.
> I think I'll try digging up another one of those...
>
> Clint

Does your BIOS have an external keyboard option and if yes is it enabled?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 5:07:45 AM

I'm confused! Why in the world do you want to use a different keyboard with
a 9100? I have a brand new 9100 and I wouldn't consider a different
keyboard than the one that came with it!

"arnb" <arnbRemoveThis@Arnb.org> wrote in message
> On or about 7/16/2004 11:16 AM, it came to pass that Clint wrote:
> > I can't get an external keyboard to work on this computer. Tried 2
> > different MS ergonomic keyboards, and a Dell. None of them even flicker
the
> > LED's. Any suggestions? Is it just me, and I need to try some more
> > hardware? All the keyboards are PS/2, and I've got a PS/2 to USB
adapter.
> > I think I'll try digging up another one of those...
> >
> > Clint
> >

> Does your BIOS have an external keyboard option and if yes is it enabled?
July 19, 2004 6:34:26 PM

First off, the only keyboard/USB option in the BIOS is to turn on and off
the USB emulation. I've tried both settings, with no change.

Second, there's three reasons I want an external keyboard. The laptop
keyboard is fine for using at home, or for "temporary" use. But for 9+
hours per day, the 1.5" height of the laptop, combined with the 90 degree
edge, is hard on the wrists. Secondly, I prefer a more ergonomic approach,
and it's hard to fit the laptop on my keyboard drawer (and still use the
screen as an extra monitor). Finally, I like having the numeric keypad, as
we write accounting software, and I'm used to using the number pad for
typing in values.

Thanks for the input so far. BTW, when I plug in an MS Natural Multimedia
keybard, the Number Lock and Function Lock LED's turn on and off, but the
Caps Lock doesn't. And none of the regular keys do anything. I've
installed the latest IntelliType software (or whatever MS calls it), to no
avail.

Clint

!