Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! Phenom 965 running HOT!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:01:36 PM

Ok, so I purchased a new Phenom II x4 965 125W a while ago.
I installed the CPU yesterday, only to find out that the CPU is running VERY HOT and VERY LOUD.
The fan is going at full speed 24/7, and the CPU is at 56 degrees when IDLE.
I think something is seriously messed up, because I've heard people getting below 40 degrees with the default HSF.
Could it be a faulty CPU, a faulty HSF, or a faulty thermal paste?
I thought the thermal paste was the problem so I removed some of it, now it's even worse.
What could I try/buy to solve my situation?
HELP!!! T_T

More about : phenom 965 running hot

a b à CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:07:34 PM

reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

check temps.

Turn the computer on its side, with the hsf on top and mobo on the bottom. If that helps you installed the heat sink incorrectly
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:10:48 PM

I would also look into an aftermarket cooler, that way you wouldn't have to run the fan so much. What case do you have?
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:18:19 PM

Is cool n quiet on? If it's not you won't see sub 40C idle, at least not with the stock heatsink. You need to go into your bios and set up smart fan control so the fan doesn't run full speed 24/7, but if it's really struggling to keep it cool at idle it won't slow down.
What are you ambient temps? The answer to that greatly effects what your cpu temp is as well.
What rpm is your cpu fan running? I've personally had problems with the stock fans not running full speed on some motherboards/with certain bios settings. I honestly can't figure it out, but I'm usually stuck with 3200rpm being the max. Then I have one board where it would hit 5000rpm until yesterday when I had to clear the bios, now I can't get it over 3200rpm and instead of 56C under load, I'm now hitting 70C.

Most common fix for a hot cpu is to purchase new thermal paste and reapply the heatsink, or purchase an aftermarket heatsink.
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:20:06 PM

Have you disabled Cool 'n' Quiet, that may be causing the high temps
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:25:25 PM

loneninja said:
Is cool n quiet on? If it's not you won't see sub 40C idle, at least not with the stock heatsink. You need to go into your bios and set up smart fan control so the fan doesn't run full speed 24/7, but if it's really struggling to keep it cool at idle it won't slow down.
What are you ambient temps? The answer to that greatly effects what your cpu temp is as well.
What rpm is your cpu fan running? I've personally had problems with the stock fans not running full speed on some motherboards/with certain bios settings. I honestly can't figure it out, but I'm usually stuck with 3200rpm being the max. Then I have one board where it would hit 5000rpm until yesterday when I had to clear the bios, now I can't get it over 3200rpm and instead of 56C under load, I'm now hitting 70C.

Most common fix for a hot cpu is to purchase new thermal paste and reapply the heatsink, or purchase an aftermarket heatsink.

Cool n Quiet is disabled, I would try turning it on now. Smart fan control is on.
As for the temps the CPU is running idle at 53 degrees, and load at over 60 degrees.
The room temperature is at about 20 degrees.
The fan is running at about 3300 RPM, and it is pretty loud, and when it gets hotter it runs VERY LOUD.
Also the thermal paste on HSF came dry, could this be the problem? If so, any recommendations for a good cheap thermal paste?
If possible, I would like to underclock the CPU until I get a new HSF or a new thermal paste, could you tell me good settings for underclocking (voltage, etc)?
And what is the safest temperature for a CPU like this? If the 65 degrees under load has no big problems then I don't mind shortening the life of the CPU
because I'll replace it within a year probably.
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:26:10 PM

shravankale said:
Have you disabled Cool 'n' Quiet, that may be causing the high temps

Doesn't CnQ reduce performance? I've heard people's systems chugging because of that.
I'll try it now.
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:34:51 PM

Just checked on Cool n Quiet, and reduced clock to 3.0GHz and voltage down about 0.050V
The CPU now idles at 50 degrees, with fan running at 2500RPM.
Reducing the voltage does not seem to help as much as I thought...
Could I reduce the V down further with the same clock?
m
l
March 6, 2010 4:52:02 PM

Never mind, I got BSOD after reducing the voltage and clock...
I don't get how people get below 40 degrees idle... really no idea.
And why is that the bios temperature reads 46 degrees when I check it,
and the speedfan temperature reads 56 degrees???
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:56:06 PM

jyparkcan said:
Just checked on Cool n Quiet, and reduced clock to 3.0GHz and voltage down about 0.050V
The CPU now idles at 50 degrees, with fan running at 2500RPM.
Reducing the voltage does not seem to help as much as I thought...
Could I reduce the V down further with the same clock?

Cool n Quiet should pull your core down to about 1v and 800-1000MHz. Seems strange to only reduce it by 400MHz.

Remember, not all chips clock the same or even use the same voltages (sometimes some can't overclock at all, or idle/load really high). It's the luck of the draw.

As I said earlier, you'll want to look into an aftermarket cooler. There are plenty available, and all will be much better than the stock cooler. What case do you have, as this would determine what size heatsink you can use.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2010 5:39:47 PM

jyparkcan said:
Doesn't CnQ reduce performance? I've heard people's systems chugging because of that.
I'll try it now.

No, your CPU will speed up if it needs more speed. Cool n' Quiet saves electricity.

As for your CPU speed, why is your CPU still at 3.0GHz? Do you have programs running in the background? Check task manager.
m
l
March 6, 2010 6:06:54 PM

jyparkcan said:

change your power options and change them to recommended or balanced.....then use cpu-z software and check the processors clock...if it's 800Mhz something...your temperature will start reducing slowly
m
l
March 6, 2010 6:56:28 PM

Make sure Cool n Quiet is enabled, try resetting the heatsink and apply some Arctic Silver thermal paste. Make sure the paste is evenly spread and if that does not help bring down temperatures there is always the option of a better cooling setup.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 6:50:35 PM

1. C&Q will reduce temps at idle, but it won't fix a high temp problem under load.

2. Too much thermal paste or an incorrectly seated heat sink can make temps high.

Try cleaning the heat sink and processor die with high proof alcohol (or some other cleaner that WILL NOT LEAVE ANY RESIDUE), then place a SMALL dab of good quality thermal paste onto the center of the processor. With the processor securely in it's socket, replace the heat sink carefully, being sure to get it in the correct position and orientation before contacting the processor.

before securing the heat sink in place push down lightly and evenly on the heat sink while twisting about 5 degrees from side to side, this should spread out the paste thinly and evenly between the surfaces and remove any air bubbles.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 6:59:20 PM

Note:

With this method (- the cleaning and thermal paste application), and stock heat sink/supplied paste, along with some undervolting of excessive stock Vcore settings), my phenom I runs 27-29C at idle, and from 46-49C under 100% load.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2010 7:05:12 PM

jyparkcan said:

Well undervolting results depend on the individual chip, some can undervolt/overclock like champs without becoming unstable, others can't. Either way it's a matter of determine the lowest stable voltage your chip can handle at any one clock speed. Apparently higher temps require more voltage, so that may be part of why you get BSOD when undervolting while temps are high.
m
l
March 29, 2010 4:33:09 PM

Could be your case as well. Make sure that there is good airflow inside the case and nothing is blocking the fans and any vents.
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:59:01 AM

GET A CPU COOLER !!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 6:45:58 AM

jyparkcan said:
I'll try it now.

Cool and quiet did not function correctly on the 65nm Agena phenoms and their tri and dual core derivatives. It should not be a problem for your Deneb phenom II.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 2:39:54 PM

Put a Titan Fenrir aftermarket cooler and purchase some Artic cool MX-3 Thermal paste this should idle at 30c. No matter the clock or voltage within reason of course this set-up will cool it.I purchased mine through FrozenCPU.com..... CnQ is not the heating issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 2:44:01 PM

CnQ when functioning properly does not hinder performance except when OCing then again if your OCing why would you enable CnQ.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 2:45:30 PM

Because you wouldn't want to be at full power at all times, increasing power draw and temperatures when completely unnecessary.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 2:56:20 PM

I don't want to flame this persons thread arguing the issue...CnQ does not hinder performance when functioning proprerly
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 3:03:28 PM

Get an aftermarket cooler for sure if you plan on OCing it
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 3:06:49 PM

The Artic Cool MX-3 thermal paste is the best there is.
m
l
April 17, 2010 5:49:45 PM

CnQ does not reduce performance.....and even if it would the difference would be too negligible to count....

Find a cooler which maintains a balance between cooling and silence......you wouldn't want a wonderfully cooled CPU sounding like a factory.....
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 7:28:57 PM

My PII X4 940@3.6GHz, 1.41v idles@ 28c, 100% load@46c

Titan Ferir HSF
Artic Cool MX-3 Thermal Paste
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2010 9:21:32 PM

That's almost exactly what my friends P2 940 temps are under his Core Contact Freezer, then again he has the same settings as you do!
m
l
April 28, 2010 10:46:08 PM

Bought the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus because it was cheap.
Now the CPU idles at 33-36C, when running P95 it reaches 46-50C.
Much better than the stock cooler, although I hoped for temps around 28C idle and 45C load.
Maybe I applied too much thermal paste? I just used the one they gave me along with the CM Hyper 212.
I used the spreading method with a credit card, and I think I might have to do it again with a different method.
And I have no idea why reducing Vcore does not help that much, because it was at 1.440V before under load,
now I reduced it in BIOS to get it at 1.184V under load. It only reduced temperatures by 3-5C.
I thought it was going to be much lower, because I've heard ppl getting amazing temps just by lowering by 0.2V.
Ambient temp is around 20C. But then again, I don't have a proper case right now and I'm using a microATX case with the side open, because the cooler is too big to close the lid. Have 1 92mm case fan at the back.
Is it going to be worth it to try and reapply the thermal paste more carefully this time?
m
l
April 28, 2010 11:13:34 PM

With the direct contact pipes, there is a little different method with applying thermal paste. I did the credit card method first, but I wasn't happy with the results. The thing is that not all of the paste will fill in the grooves between the contact-pipes and the base, thus creating pockets of air which have poor heat transfer.

The way I hear is recommended is to put the paste on the base of the cooler filling in the gaps between the pipes and the base. Wipe off as much excess paste as possible, but don't remove the paste in the gaps. Then, run a tiny bit of paste on the middle of the bottom of the pipes (in between the gaps you filled in). There is an article showing the best way to apply TIM for heatsinks with direct-contact pipes, but I can't seem to track it down at the moment.

EDIT: Ahh, here it is: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 8:44:54 PM

Also make sure that you clean off the old paste throughly, and as far as spreading goes I just put a dab on each heat pipe and viola perfect
m
l
!