Power Supply 2-Pin Fan Connector Mystery

G

I have just bought an Asus A45-GA 450wt power supply and it came with a 2-pin fan connector lead that was attached internally. I know this is for the internal 12cm fan but upon testing it I found that the fan worked without this lead connected, but when connected the fan gained super sonic speed and the led lights were brighter.

Now without the lead connected the volume of the fan is nice, but with it connected the fan becomes much louder.

Can someone tell me why this 2 pin connector lead is attached, what is the point of it and do I really need to use it ?

G

Sorry, I meant that the lead was attached internally and came out of the psu with all the other leads. Its like an additional 2 pin fan lead from out of the psu.

But the psu fan still works without using this connector, all the connector does is make the fan much louder (and faster) and makes the led psu lights go twice as bright.

Its the first time ive seen a psu do this and I wanted to know why it did this and if I needed to use it.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I tried looking it up, but according to Asus, they do not make nor sell power supply units. :eek:

So, in essence, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :D

Can you take a picture of it for me? Then I'll be able to point you in the right direction. I'm just having trouble wrapping my brain around the concept.

So your saying you have a two pin lead coming out of your power supply this is probably the lead that goes to your motherboard so it can monitor your power supplies fan connect to the power header on your motherboard if there is one dont connect to just any fan header it has to be the one for power only if there isnt one on your motherboard just leave it be.

What motherboard do you have?

G

Well they certainly make power supply units as I have one right here, its in an Asus box with Asus on the actual psu itself also - Pictures on the way.

G

Darn its a 3-pin connector, not 2-pin. My mistake.

I have an p35c-ds3r from gigabyte.

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

shovenose

Distinguished
i always thought the pwr fan header was in the back by all the ports. oh well, guess that somes from the fatc that only only asus mobos ive ever used were a socket a462 one and a intel478 one. LOL i didnt know they make psus either...