Sign in with
Your question

Cpu heatsink fell off... computer wont turn on now

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:43:10 PM

The retention clip that holds the cpu heatsink broke while the computer was running idlely. Not sure how long it was like that, but it shut off at some point and when I went to turn it back on... the lights and fans flash on for a second and then it shuts off. Then i pushed the power again and absolutely nothing happens. After unpluging it for about 10 minutes it will flash on for 1 second but that is it. Not even long enough the bring up the bios screen. When then cpu heatsink fell it didnt seem to do any damage, but it was sitting on top of the video card. I'm getting a new clip for the heatsink, but I think i may have fried the cpu. Its a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz. The motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H!

What do you think my problem is: Motherboard, CPU, maybe both? I figured that even if the cpu was fried the bios screen should come up still right? Hopefully someone can help! Thanks
a c 159 à CPUs
March 6, 2010 4:49:34 PM

If you are lucky, your bios had the shutdown temp set to prevent cpu damage. It may be activated since you don't have good contact with the cpu surface. After you replace the socket bracket and install the heatsink properly, try removing the motherboard battery with the system off for about 1 minute, then reinstall. If you get to the post screen, go into the bios and set the cpu shutdown temp at around 70c in the section titled either "hardware monitor" or "pc health" etc.
m
l
March 6, 2010 8:00:04 PM

I did remove the battery when i was originally trying to turn it on, but I will do it again once I get the cpu cooler back on. Hopefully that is the problem. We'll see in a couple days!
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2010 7:59:32 PM

Well... I got the retention clip and re-installed the the cpu cooler. I also pulled the motherboard battery for 5 minutes. NO LUCK! :cry:  It just did the same thing as before flashed on for 1 sec or less (just enough to turn the fans a bit) then it shut off. So what do you think is fried (motherboard or cpu?) My guess is the cpu, but I'm not sure.

Any advice?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2010 8:03:53 PM

More than likely the CPU like you said...if you are able to, pop it in another motherboard just to make sure. If its the stock heatsink and fan unit and you installed everything as per the instructions then surely this would be a warranty job. It may be worth contacting AMD explaining whats happened and see what you can get out of them ;) 
m
l
!