Overclock and 2D clock problems

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
When I apply overclock on my HD6950 Windforce using MSI Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx or other software for oc graphic, 2D clock jump to 450/1325 from default 250/150 and temperatures go up for 10C in idle. When I OC with AMD Overdrive, 2D clocks are ok, but with AMD Overdrive I have limit - 900/1325, because I can't overclock with Overdrive.
Help please .

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
There really isn't much you can do in a situation like this. Although riva tuner might be worth trying, if you haven't already. I haven't used software for overclocking for graphics in a while now, ever since I flashed my max stable oc to the bios. Because now I have no need in using software to oc the graphics.

So I can't fully remember if riva tuner gives you the option of controlling 2d clocks separately, but its worth a try if you haven't done so already.

So if you can't find software that would work correctly you only have two choices. You either cope and live with higher 2d temps, or you figure out your max stable overclock, do some research, and correctly flash it onto your card.

I don't see any other solutions...other than applying the oc only when you need it...
I hope this helps, and that you'll work it out.

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I hadn't problems with my previous graphic card ASUS HD6870 DirectCU. Maybe Display Driver cause the problem..
I flashed my card before, and I got BSOD on startup, and then I returned to the original BIOS.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
hmmm...you may be right.

So try different versions of the driver along with ccc. But of course that may yield no success...

So if there is no way to fix your idle clocks and temps when overclocking, you should cope with the extra 10C...maybe get a nice after market cooler fro the card so you don't have to worry about it...

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Almin94, 61C is more than perfectly fine...you're safe!

And like nna2 said, you can use Rradeon Bios Editor...
But obviously that involves editing and flashing the bios...

I have done it before and I have been successful before...esp with nvidia cards...

But I have killed a card before with this so you always have to be careful...although most of the time you can rma the card saying it just died and won't work...

nna2

Distinguished

and make very sure to BACK UP YOUR BIOS, i have made that mistake on 2 cards, and have ended up banging my head for it

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
^Yes backup...sometimes its possible to reflash the card back to working condition...
And sometimes it doesn't work as atiflash or other flashers will not see the card as an ati/amd card...that happens sometimes...

Although cheer up, most flash attempts go perfectly fine if you follow the rules and guides and do nothing wrong...