deathdawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
i installed a second hard drive on a dell it worked just fine. then it froze so i shut it off i had to put the drive back in cuz i didnt install it so when i put it back in i bent a pin turned it on it didnt boot so i checked everything fixed pin and now all i get is press del to set up how do i fix? im a noob just so u know thanx

Solution
No, you need a real bootdisk. Try downloading the ultimate boot disk. It will boot from a CD, and give you more tools then you know what to do with. You'll need to know how to move around in DOS/unix for many of them.

If that sounds like to much, perhaps you can pull the main disk and put it in another computer? Perhaps a friends?

4745454b

Titan
I am sorry for this post.

i installed a second hard drive on a dell

Good.

it worked just fine.

Glad to hear it.

then it froze

Bummer.

so i shut it off

Good idea.

i had to put the drive back in

Huh? When did you take it out?

cuz i didnt install it

Yes you did, in the first quote. You even used the word install.

so when i put it back in i bent a pin

On the drive?

turned it on

With a bent pin? WHY?

didnt boot

Duh.

so i checked everything fixed pin and now all i get is press del to set up how do i fix?

For the bios I'm assuming here. Can you get into the bios? Is the drive seen by the bios? Can you load the bios defaults and save/exit?

im a noob just so u know thanx

I think some of us have figured that out already. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. Once you fix your computer problem you might want to check out this link.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+to+use+a+period+in+a+sentence

4745454b

Titan
I'm assuming (again) that you mean the bios sees the harddrive. Thats a good thing. More good as well that you can save the default values. What happens when you reboot? Does it still say you HAVE to enter the bios? Is there some way to skip that? Seeing as you said pins I'm assuming you have an IDE drive. If you have boot problems you probably have it jumpered wrong. Does it boot normally if you remove the new drive?

deathdawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
yes it says that i have to enter bios. no way to skip that i know of. yes i have an IDE drive. i have it jumped right i checked like 3 times. no it dose not boot normally when i remove drive. like i said it was working just fine then it froze, so i shut it off. when i turned it back on the (start in safe mode) screen came up so i hit enter on start windows normally and then it froze again. i checked all connections and jumpers, that is when i noticed the pin was bent so i fixed it. now when i turn it on i have to enter bios. i reset defaults and all that comes up is system setup.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is the second drive the one you want to boot from or are you still using the original drive?

Are the jumpers really set at master/slave properly? You may want to try cable select and make sure the ends of the cable are plugged in correctly. I know some HP's that use cable select, not master/slave for booting. May be the same on the Dell.

In the BIOS, check the boot order. Make sure it knows which hard drive you want to boot from.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Take the second drive out again and make sure to put everything back as originally was. In other words, go back to just the boot drive. Check the boot order in BIOS again and try to boot into SAFE MODE.

deathdawg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

would the boot disk be the windows xp cd? i dont have one. can i burn widows xp to a cd and use it? i have serial #.

4745454b

Titan
No, you need a real bootdisk. Try downloading the ultimate boot disk. It will boot from a CD, and give you more tools then you know what to do with. You'll need to know how to move around in DOS/unix for many of them.

If that sounds like to much, perhaps you can pull the main disk and put it in another computer? Perhaps a friends?

Solution

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All I can say is either there is still a setting/jumper issue on your original drive, it has failed (reason it froze up), or there is such a corrupted file that Windows can't be booted to/detected.

Since your skill level is low, you may need to take it to someone to look at it.

Ultimate Boot Disk is a good idea, especially to at least look at the drive and see if all your major data is still there.