Sign in with
Your question

Not getting what I'd hoped for and not sure why.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2009 10:43:46 PM

I recently bought several new upgrades to my PC including a Sapphire Radeon 5850, ASRock A780GXE motherboard, Windows 7, and a Xclio power supply and case.

I was hoping this would make running any game on max settings easy but that hasn't been the case.

Starting with Modern Warfare 2 it wouldn't run unless anti-aliasing was turned off.

Then Team Fortress 2, a seemingly graphically weak game, is running no better than it was with my old Radeon 3870.

Now I try to play GTA4 and my benchmark is terrible

Statistics
Average FPS: 29.47
Duration: 37.46 sec
CPU Usage: 94%
System memory usage: 70%
Video memory usage: 47%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1440 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Texture Filter Quality: Medium
View Distance: 26
Detail Distance: 51

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Video Driver version: 8.14.10.716
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+

What is the problem here? People are posting their benchmarks and I see Radeon 4800 series getting 50+ fps with higher settings.

I drop all this money on this crap and it's not running any better than before and honestly it might be running worse.

Is it the processor? Recently I found out that it was running quite some time with the fan on it being dead.

Can I have my $700 back please?

More about : hoped

a c 179 U Graphics card
December 27, 2009 10:51:54 PM

TF2 is graphically weak so you are being limited by your Athlon X2, same with GTA 4, it really needs a quad core to run well so your Athlon X2 isnt going to let your 5850 unleash its full potential and certainly not at that resolution. You should be able to crank the quality way up without getting a performance hit though as your CPU is the bottleneck.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2009 11:00:20 PM

gta4 really needs more then a dual core, a triple is minimum spec i believe but a quad is the sweet spot
December 27, 2009 11:40:30 PM

hunter315 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You can also get the C3 stepping for $10 more if you want, it will run slightly cooler.

Are you 100000% sure this will work? The motherboard says AM2+ but I see on that list you linked there's some am3 on there. I just don't want to risk screwing this up.

This whole thing started as just getting a video card but has since escalated into a whole new system.
!