Sign in with
Your question

How do you demo your rig to non-OC types?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2012 11:05:34 AM

If you want to show your rig to someone who's unfamiliar with performance PCs, what do you run, show, or compare to demonstrate the power and advantages of a rig like yours vs. what you could buy from the blueshirts at Best Buy?

More about : demo rig types

a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 6:58:10 PM

Probably a benchmark software like 3D Mark or just use a program like FRAPS to show them how many FPS you can get on high settings. Of course to some people benchmarks and FPS will mean nothing.Seriously I once talked to a guy who said that his CPU was better because it had 10GB of RAM speed more than mine. To this day I still have no idea what he meant
m
l
July 17, 2012 8:27:24 PM

Right--you have to have something to compare it to that they'd understand. How about MIPS? I wonder if there's a way to enter a processor and RAM and their speeds and get a resulting MIPS value?
m
l
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 8:35:40 PM

PsychoPsonic said:
Right--you have to have something to compare it to that they'd understand. How about MIPS? I wonder if there's a way to enter a processor and RAM and their speeds and get a resulting MIPS value?

I don't think there IS an easy way to do that.

I think the best way to go about it is to run an identical benchmark on each machine. That would tell the whole story.

3DMark or Heaven for gaming and any number of benches for the CPU.
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
July 18, 2012 5:11:30 AM

Generally, I do not bother.

OTOH, if someone expresses an interest ...
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 18, 2012 5:20:45 AM

How fast your PC can do something compared to theirs ;P
m
l
July 26, 2012 12:32:22 PM

switch it on and boot to windows in under 20secs then load a game with settings on OMG level, all under 1 min (if steam doesnt fail me and try to update).

all while my pc is running quieter under full load then theirs does while idle/off.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 12:54:38 AM

They see it,
Thats more than enough to get a response hehe
Moto
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
July 27, 2012 9:47:24 AM

For 98% they don't understand any of it, because the extent of their computer knowledge is turning it on and off, surfing the net and getting their email, so demonstrating it is a total waste of time.

For the remaining 1%, I usually demonstrate a game by playing something like Crysis, after all their Ooohs and Aaahs, I offer them a chance to play themselves, but they are intimidated by my game play, and refuse to play, thinking they'll embarrass themselves.

Then there's the last 1%, that are drooling at the opportunity to play while I'm playing, and worst case is having to wipe the drool and spit off the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, when they finish.

That last 1% usually turn out to be dedicated Xbox or PS3 fanatics that leave wanting to know what it would take for them to have a setup like they just played on, and quickly get discouraged when they find out that one graphics card cost more than their entire setup.

"Lone wolf, calling Wolf den, over"

You're on your own Rambo, just live with it.
m
l
!