yasir123

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hello, my question is that i currently have an IDE hard disk setup as a master and a DVD-RAM as a slave with windows xp on my pc. I want to install windows 7 on my pc but i dont want to remove xp. also i cant erase any data so i decided to buy a new hdd on sata..so my question is can i install win 7 on sata and be able to run both of the operating systems at the same time? will sata work with ide as primary?
Any opinion will be appreciated :)

Solution
Well they won't run at the same time, but you can have 2 OS's on two different drives.

Yes, IDE can be primary... but if you are installing Windows 7 you would want the SATA as primary... just change your settings in BIOS.

You can run the SATA w/ Windows 7 and access the files on the XP HD.... no problem. Executing XP programs may have issues, but you should be fine.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Well they won't run at the same time, but you can have 2 OS's on two different drives.

Yes, IDE can be primary... but if you are installing Windows 7 you would want the SATA as primary... just change your settings in BIOS.

You can run the SATA w/ Windows 7 and access the files on the XP HD.... no problem. Executing XP programs may have issues, but you should be fine.

Solution