Phenom X4 850 overclocking progress

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • RAM
  • Phenom
Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2012 12:40:50 PM

Im new to overclocking but just wanted to share my experiences so far from overclocking my phenom II x4 850 (propus) cpu @3.30 stock speed, ive been increasing my fsb by 5's, left the multiplier on auto which is 16.5 and lowered ram ratio from 1:4 to 1:3 (auto timings and stock voltage on ram) and then testing via prime for about 10-15min on each test blend and small fft (trying to find a good max then ill prime test for about 12 hours)

I ran into problems when i reached 3.63GHz FSB@220 x 16.5 (<-still on stock voltage) on prime forgot what my ram speed was, but i kept getting errors in prime95 blend test in under 5 minutes so i thought it was a ram problem so i set the ratio lower from 1:3 to 1:266 and ran test again and failed again! Then I just thought for a sec and said what the hell and adjusted my cpu voltage from auto voltage which is around 1.363 to 1.373, ran prime under blend test and worked! Stable for 6 hours then i stopped it small fft test was stable for an hour so i was clear to proceed :) 

So i upped the fsb to 225 earlier today (3.71Ghz), again i kept failing blend around 5-7 minutes and thought it was a ram problem because i would easily pass small fft test for an hour until i stopped it, because from what im noticing usually problems happen within 10min of prime test if not shorter (I understand prime95 test errors can occur hours and hours later but like i said im generally just upping my speed fast till i hit a big wall).... So i lowered ram to 1:266 to 1:2 which was setting my ram speed really low but i still kept failing at even that so i placed my ram ratio back to 1:266 (1200mhz on ram it will go up as i press on :p ) and put link mode under dram config, notched up my cpu voltage from 1.373 to 1.380 and ive been stable for hours on each test! :D 

So im pretty happy and excited im getting stable results so far, of course ill do a final 12 hour stability test once i reach a good max..

This whole time ive been mainly idling at 14c-16c and under load at 35-38c with prime

How am I doing so far?
Am I rasing voltage to much at a time or is it fine this way?
And lastly what temps are phenoms good up to 50c?

More about : phenom 850 overclocking progress

a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 2:08:09 PM

go default /.... test first your ram use memtest86+ after get pass try OC agin step by step and for safely drop your RAM ratio / relax timming (also little increase volt Ram 1.52v - 1.56v and max DDR3 extreme can get 1.65v (depend your ram )
m
l
July 17, 2012 2:12:20 PM

henydiah said:
go default /.... test first your ram use memtest86+ after get pass try OC agin step by step and for safely drop your RAM ratio / relax timming (also little increase volt Ram 1.52v - 1.56v and max DDR3 extreme can get 1.65v (depend your ram )

I ran and passed memtest twice one as default 1600MHz and one at stable speed of 3.71GHz 1333 RAM, I'm already getting closer to 3.75GHz
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 2:15:59 PM

still 50C you can get MAx till get 60C other use till 70C (very hot)... raise FSB and remember relax timming RAM .. and up up up ..
July 24, 2012 12:27:11 AM

Best answer selected by pablo3264.
m
l
October 9, 2012 10:46:13 AM

pablo3264 said:
Im new to overclocking but just wanted to share my experiences so far from overclocking my phenom II x4 850 (propus) cpu @3.30 stock speed, ive been increasing my fsb by 5's, left the multiplier on auto which is 16.5 and lowered ram ratio from 1:4 to 1:3 (auto timings and stock voltage on ram) and then testing via prime for about 10-15min on each test blend and small fft (trying to find a good max then ill prime test for about 12 hours)

I ran into problems when i reached 3.63GHz FSB@220 x 16.5 (<-still on stock voltage) on prime forgot what my ram speed was, but i kept getting errors in prime95 blend test in under 5 minutes so i thought it was a ram problem so i set the ratio lower from 1:3 to 1:266 and ran test again and failed again! Then I just thought for a sec and said what the hell and adjusted my cpu voltage from auto voltage which is around 1.363 to 1.373, ran prime under blend test and worked! Stable for 6 hours then i stopped it small fft test was stable for an hour so i was clear to proceed :) 

So i upped the fsb to 225 earlier today (3.71Ghz), again i kept failing blend around 5-7 minutes and thought it was a ram problem because i would easily pass small fft test for an hour until i stopped it, because from what im noticing usually problems happen within 10min of prime test if not shorter (I understand prime95 test errors can occur hours and hours later but like i said im generally just upping my speed fast till i hit a big wall).... So i lowered ram to 1:266 to 1:2 which was setting my ram speed really low but i still kept failing at even that so i placed my ram ratio back to 1:266 (1200mhz on ram it will go up as i press on :p ) and put link mode under dram config, notched up my cpu voltage from 1.373 to 1.380 and ive been stable for hours on each test! :D 

So im pretty happy and excited im getting stable results so far, of course ill do a final 12 hour stability test once i reach a good max..

This whole time ive been mainly idling at 14c-16c and under load at 35-38c with prime

How am I doing so far?
Am I rasing voltage to much at a time or is it fine this way?
And lastly what temps are phenoms good up to 50c?

isnt the phenom ii x4 850 a denab? i have the same and its a denab and has the 6mb l3 cache unlocked
m
l
!