Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my PSU enough for a XFX 4890?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 28, 2009 12:01:36 AM

I have another noob question regarding the new graphics card that I just purchased, the XFX Radeon HD 4890. Now, the manufacture's site says the minimum required PSU is a 500W. I do indeed have a 500W PSU, but am not sure if that will suffice. Below is everything that hooks up to my power (500W Power Supply (20+4Pin)). Do I have enough power?

Memory
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G

Graphics Card
XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support

CD/DVD Drive, Hard Drive
LITE-ON Combo Drive Black IDE Model LH-52C1P-187
Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Bare Drive

CPU & CPU Cooler
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6420
ASUS V-60 92mm Vapo Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard
ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard

Thank you!!

More about : psu xfx 4890

a c 1363 U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:06:35 AM

What are the brand and model of your PSU?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 28, 2009 12:12:37 AM

Just checked inside the computer, it's a Raidmax RX-500s
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:13:52 AM

The pic of the case shows the PSU with 22 amps on the 12vlt rail.


Hmm, a better quality PSU would be reccomended.
Share
December 28, 2009 12:24:05 AM

Hmm. Well, what would happen if I continued to use my existing power supply? Would anything bad happen to any of my equipment, except for the power supply itself?

I'd prefer to not have to purchase a new one if it isn't necessary--but am willing if it means my stuff will get toasted.
m
0
l
December 28, 2009 12:25:16 AM

Oh, and by the way, I don't plan on overclocking my videocard, if that makes any difference, heh.
m
0
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:27:43 AM

You might have a chance running a HD5770 on your current PSU but not a HD4890. Cheap PSU´s like that if overloaded have a tendency to take other parts out with them. The PSU is the single most important part in any system!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:30:40 AM

bendrummin58 said:
Hmm. Well, what would happen if I continued to use my existing power supply? Would anything bad happen to any of my equipment, except for the power supply itself?

I'd prefer to not have to purchase a new one if it isn't necessary--but am willing if it means my stuff will get toasted.



Your current PSU could not only commit suicide but homicide as well.
m
0
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:38:25 AM

I would take the Corsair over a Antec Basic. If it was a Antec Earthwatts it would be a toss of a coin.
m
0
l
December 28, 2009 12:41:33 AM

Thank you guys so much! You've probably saved my computer's life, hah. I do have one more question, though. I'm getting my 4890 card in the next two days. Assuming I order this PSU now, it'll most likely come in two days after the card does. So, if I play with my new card on my current PSU for two days, would that run a high risk of killing everything? Is it advised that I just not play any games?
m
0
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:42:39 AM

I would not take the change for two days.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:43:19 AM

bendrummin58 said:
Thank you guys so much! You've probably saved my computer's life, hah. I do have one more question, though. I'm getting my 4890 card in the next two days. Assuming I order this PSU now, it'll most likely come in two days after the card does. So, if I play with my new card on my current PSU for two days, would that run a high risk of killing everything? Is it advised that I just not play any games?


It will probably be ok.
You do know the 4890 requires 2 6 pin power connects?
Not sure if your current PSU has them.

Edit; if you dont play any games it will work just fine.
m
0
l
December 28, 2009 12:46:04 AM

I think it can also use a 6 pin and an 8 pin--pretty sure that's right--(which is all the Corsair has). My current one has....well ***, only one 6 pin. lol!

Well, looks like I've got no choice now :)  Thanks guys! I can only best answer one of ya, but you guys are both badass.
m
0
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 12:53:56 AM

bendrummin58 said:
I think it can also use a 6 pin and an 8 pin--pretty sure that's right--(which is all the Corsair has). My current one has....well ***, only one 6 pin. lol!

Well, looks like I've got no choice now :)  Thanks guys! I can only best answer one of ya, but you guys are both badass.

I will select for you give the best answer to sirheck! We are here only to help.
m
0
l
December 28, 2009 12:59:25 AM

Well, I just purchased the Corsair and it should be here hopefully the same day as all of my other stuff! Thanks again guys!
m
0
l
!