Sign in with
Your question

CM Excalibers mod for radiator use...

Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2012 3:48:57 PM

Hi all,

Long story short, the CM Excalibers were the highest published static pressure fans at Fry's, and I needed to get my build done, so I bought em. That being said, I took each apart, and modded the mesh shrouds with a lining of black electrical tape, so the holes did not allow air in on the sides. Ran 3 in a pull formation with old fans (gutted) as shrouds on a Swiftech radiator. They are quiet, and are pulling quite a bit of air.

I am posting this here, as:

1 - an easy mod to consider for those who bought excaliber fans for their WC rigs...which I am sure some will scoff at

2 - for suggestions on other variable speed fans that I may want to sub in and run some tests...

Like I said, with the mod they are pulling a large amount of air, MUCH more air than my old fans that came with my Swiftech kit. even when turned down to inaudable levels, but I do not think they would be as effective without the mod.

CJ
July 17, 2012 4:04:57 PM

Caveat...I AM running them with a rheostatic fan controller...that is why they are quiet, at full power they are not so much...
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 4:12:12 PM

over the years I have found that any fan running faster than some ware between 1200 RPM to 1500 RPM will start to get loud, not from the fan motor, but the amount of air flowing by it. than after 2500 RPM the motors on the fans begin to make a lot of noise.
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 4:27:01 PM

Higher than 1200rpm, you really would want to run in push, lower than 1200rpm, you can run in pull with almost identical cooling potential as the same fans running in push at the same speed.
July 17, 2012 4:34:21 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Higher than 1200rpm, you really would want to run in push, lower than 1200rpm, you can run in pull with almost identical cooling potential as the same fans running in push at the same speed.

Yeah I decided to run in pull because I wanted the outside of the case to remain un-modded, and thought the honeycomb air inlets for the case would be too close to the blades to prevent chopping/streaming/turbulance if that makes any sense...The pull config has the radiator mounted to the top inside of the 800D (Triple Rad) and then 3 gutted fans as shrouds, and then the Excalibers in pull. I was thinking the shroud and the pull config would cause less dead spots than attempting to do a push configuration and not modding the case itself.
!