Ubuntu 10.10: Maverick Meerkat Benchmarked And Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I didn't know they were taking pre-orders yet, though HP Slate doesn't ship until the middle of November. Unfortunately, the HP Slate looks like a really half-hearted attempt. Business product? That pretty much means not to get your hopes up. It should have been out much closer to the iPad, but got pushed back repeatedly. Ever since they bought Palm it seems like their Windows efforts in this form factor will take a backseat until they try to make WebOS work - can't blame them really, WebOS is pretty slick and they paid a lot for it. But I still do want to get my hands on the Slate, but look forward to seeing what they do with WebOS more now.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
If we "put all the issues aside", i love allot of things.....Don't get me wrong, i love to play with Linux at home, but at the moment I prefer to use it at work, in the server room ware it belongs (at the moment). Using it at home it just to much of an effort, to many issues, hardware compatibility etc...Hopefully one day...
Any way Ubuntu came a long way to make it happen....But still few days ago i tried it and few others on a net book, with via chip set and CPU with no luck...

TomSah

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
"Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition is also a mess. As a netbook operating system intended for actual people to use in a production environment, I have to say that UNE 10.10 should be avoided. From our experience on the Dell Mini 10v, UNE Meerkat is in no way ready for general consumption. Its many bugs and poor performance are just not acceptable or at all realistic for the average end-user. Loading almost anything on UNE 10.10 was clearly sluggish"

Wow. Im running 32-bit Maverick UNE on my Asus eee 1000HA and i have to say that i fell in love as soon as it installed! As soon as i disabled the unity interface to get the desktop interface I was away laughing! I havnt had any of the problems you mention, app startup has been great, no crashes/bugs - And this is my first serious attempt at using a Linux distro. I had a lot of fun tweaking everything to my liking and i now feel like I have the perfect OS for me. Its really strange you had bad experiences like that, must be the dell mini haha.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
TomSah:
As soon as i disabled the unity interface to get the desktop interface I was away laughing!
Well there you go, you got rid of Unity. I don't doubt it works fine now, LOL. I'm using the 10v with 10.10 32-bit Desktop Edition right now and it's absolutely fantastic, one of the best OSes on this thing by far. The track pad is a nightmare, and there's no fixing that, but in 10.10 it's much better than earlier versions. Tap to click is the best in Windows 7, but drag and drop in Ubuntu is much less maddening than Win7.

randomizer

Champion
Just moving the cursor up and down the launcher shows how slow Unity is. The delay between when the cursor moves over an application to when the application's name pops up gives the impression of playing a game at very low framerates.

The Ubuntu font looks ok but it's really only usable in menus and window titles (which I think is all it is used for, fortunately). There's no way such a stylised font could be readable for long periods in a document.

Adam, you should see if any updates fixed the consistently inconsistent HDD to HDD file copy performance.

Because Windows is not a Linux distro, and this review is for a Linux distro?

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
randomizer:
Adam, you should see if any updates fixed the consistently inconsistent HDD to HDD file copy performance.
As of 10/22/10, when I re-tested the HDD to USB times, they had not.

[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]How come you don't compare the benchmarks to Windows?[/citation]
Workin' on it, stayed tuned. But randomizer is right, this is a review of the new Ubuntu release. As a review of the new version of a software product, this type of article isn't the appropriate forum for that comparison.

G

64 bit vs. 32 bit? 32 seems much better all round, stability, compatibility etc.. Is there that much speed difference to be worth using 64 bit?
gvnmcknz

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I installed 10.10 on my laptop... but the dang mouse pad didn't want to work the right way...
On 10.04 I had no problems what so ever...

loftie

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
I installed maverick yesterday on an old laptop . I found it slow and unresponsive in all honesty, but looking online, it looks like I'm not the only one. A number of users are having problems, even those with i7 desktops. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon. You can switch the window commands to the righthand side by the way.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Why does Tom's always use 'old' hardware when it comes to linux reviews but when it comes to anything else they always have the latest and greatest CPU / GPU combo? A Radeon 4870? Really?

I just installed Lucid on an old Celeron M 1.4Ghz and 1GB RAM wich had XP before... Darn it, for productivity is kickin' alive and well. I had to install MSO2007 over WINE and it was flawless on the first try.

I'm glad the route Canonical is taking Ubuntu is the right one for all of us. Improved experience all the way. It's a very responsive OS from every angle, even with all the bling bling you want.

On my main rig I'm still stuck with Win7 because of my gaming needs, but that's all that's actually giving me the no-go for Ubuntu in a full time basis.

Also, try installing XBMC for your HTPCs. One hell of a Media Center software.

Cheers!

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]loftie[/nom]I installed maverick yesterday on an old laptop . I found it slow and unresponsive in all honesty, but looking online, it looks like I'm not the only one. A number of users are having problems, even those with i7 desktops. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon. You can switch the window commands to the righthand side by the way.[/citation]
How old is the laptop, specs? Did Lucid work well on that system, does Windows? Is this the Desktop Edition you're using?

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Yuka:
Yeah, gaming is an issue, but then again it is on Mac as well. I game so infrequently these days that I just install Windows on one of the test HDDs when I play one (2-3 times per year). Have you considered a dual boot, maybe with a separate hard disk? If Windows is for gaming only, using Linux for everything else will help keep Windows pristine and running smooth for games. Although right now I think Netflix is an even bigger problem that needs to be addressed. It's what keeps my HTPC unhappily with XP, and from my experience it's a deal-breaker for many more everyday users than games.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I wish AMD would support my older computers' Radeon 9550; I miss having those better compiz effects and the ability to play youtube without chops. Maybe I'll downgrade...

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Wheat_Thins[/nom]Why does Tom's always use 'old' hardware when it comes to linux reviews but when it comes to anything else they always have the latest and greatest CPU / GPU combo? A Radeon 4870? Really?[/citation]
Well, ET:QW is the latest native commercial FPS, so...
There's actually two 4870's, but I can currently only use one for another project, so it's not in right now.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Until HandBrake 0.9.4 comes out as a working Linux version (either CLI or GUI), we continue to use HandBrake 0.9.3 in CLI.

Handbrake 0.9.4 cli works fine. The 0.9.4 is an issue with the Gnome desktop. CLI is uneffected.

G

Stay with 10.04, upgrading has been a nightmare for some unless you do a fresh install. Those that try to do a fresh install with 10.10 stay far away from the new btrfs filesystem which you can't even use as /boot yet only root and others. They also got rid of the Gdebi package manager in favor of the bloated slow Ubuntu Software center and it doesn't even show which dependencies are getting installed so you are better manually installing Gdebi again I am going to stay with 10.04 and ext4 filesystem after trying 10.10, hopefully with 11.04 releases it might be worth an upgrade and btrfs might be usable as a filesystem. I have had no problems with 10.04 and recommend it over 10.10 by far.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
This new version is borked, there is a bug that is affecting SSD's and HDD's that causes the boot times to take as long as 5 minutes on my Phenom 2 X4 system with 8 gig's of ram. What is worse is I reported the bug almost a month ago and no help.

Its bad enough that I don't even like booting up ubuntu right now. I like the OS and I really want it to work but almost every patch there is now an issue.

Not to mention that if I load the latest catalyst driver for my 5830 the system crashes, I then have to go into low res mode and reinstall 10.6 but then I have other issues.

Canonical is doing good work but they need to do better if they want to go prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.