performance question

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

I have an 1.8 ghz pentium 4, 256 mb RAM and a geforce 3 ti-200 128 MB card
with latest drivers. I am running windows XP.
The sims 2 runs acceptable when I play with small houses with few sims
living in them. Going to big lots and inviting a lot of guests makes the
game slow and almost unplayable due to CONSTANT hard drive accesing. I want
the University upgrade, but the lots look huge and I know that will make the
perfomance suffer.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 1 GB of ram, will this help or is the graphics
card too old/slow as well?

CK

CK wrote:
> I have an 1.8 ghz pentium 4, 256 mb RAM and a geforce 3 ti-200 128
MB
> card with latest drivers. I am running windows XP.
> The sims 2 runs acceptable when I play with small houses with few
sims
> living in them. Going to big lots and inviting a lot of guests makes
> the game slow and almost unplayable due to CONSTANT hard drive
> accesing. I want the University upgrade, but the lots look huge and
> know that will make the perfomance suffer.
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading to 1 GB of ram, will this help or is the
> graphics card too old/slow as well?

You really should have more ram. That's probably the reason for all
the hard drive access - it has to use hard drive space as virtual
memory.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:55:48 +0200, CK
<ckusknerSPAM-MUST-DIE@vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:

> I have an 1.8 ghz pentium 4, 256 mb RAM and a geforce 3 ti-200 128 MB
> card
> with latest drivers. I am running windows XP.
> The sims 2 runs acceptable when I play with small houses with few sims
> living in them. Going to big lots and inviting a lot of guests makes the
> game slow and almost unplayable due to CONSTANT hard drive accesing. I
> want
> the University upgrade, but the lots look huge and I know that will make
> the
> perfomance suffer.
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading to 1 GB of ram, will this help or is the
> graphics
> card too old/slow as well?

I happen to run Sims 2 Uni on a machine with 1 GB RAM and a geforce 3
ti-200. It is slow if you play a dorm or a large family or throw a party.
My processor is 2.62 GHz, so it probably won't be any easier for you.
At a machine with a new geforce card, same memory and slightly faster CPU,
the game runs with no lag at all. I think you might want to look at a new
graphics card before anything else. Either that, or stick to very small
families. ^_^*

good sign." -G

Upgrde your RAM to 1 Gig
and your CPU to at least 2.8 On University it tends to run slow.