Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time build - part selection okay?

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2009 2:22:24 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now... on break from school and would like to get done in next couple weeks BUDGET RANGE: $500-600 After Rebates ($20 dollars here or there won't kill me)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: school work (Office programs, Active HDL, c++ ide) surfing the internet, music (itunes) and possibly movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com (will by at local Fry's electronics if comparable pricing) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: no real preference on brand....have done some research and come up with the parts listed below

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: middle of the road monitor to be purchased (will wait for good deal)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I plan on getting Windows 7 - 64 bit? I just want the computer to be solid, reliable, made with decent parts that will last the next few years as a general purpose pc. I don't plan on tweaking stuff or modifying anything to squeeze out extra performance (maybe in the future). Nothing too fancy and doesn't need to blaze through things, but relatively quick for the school work I will be doing. Any comments, suggestions etc. are really appreciated.

cpu - e7500
CPU - intel e7500

mobo - gigabyte ep43-ud3l
Mobo - gigabyte ep43-ud3l

ram - 4gb corsair xms2
RAM - corsair xms2 4GB (2x2gb) ddr2 800 pc2 6400

video card (just need simple - geforce 210)
BFG Tech BFGE210512D2E GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2

HDD - don't have one picked out yet.... suggestions? prob want 320gb - 500gb can't imagine ever coming close to half those amounts though

dvd - LG DVD burner GH22

case and power supply - antec sonata III combo with Earthwatts 500W (hopefully can re-use in future)

I appreciate the time and any responses. Hopefully all of the links work. I thought about mobo with onboard graphics but thought it may be better to just get one without and add the card to keep options open for other uses....
December 30, 2009 2:37:32 AM

Hard Drive I can answer at least, the preferred brands are Samsung (spinpoint F3), Seagate (7200.12), and Western Digital (Caviar, not sure if Black, Blue, or Green is the best kind there)

On newegg these are the 320GB and 500GB seagates, they are $50 and $55 so five dollars more for an extra 180GB is cool even if you dont think you need it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Heres the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA $55 and everyone likes em so much they're frequently out of stock apparently

I just got ordered that samsung myself earliar today.

You really arent going for a powerful gaming system, so i'm not sure what else to really reccomend, i'm not sure i like the fact that the case comes with a power supply, but if it is an Antec it's probably good and 500W (don't trust me on this) should be pretty much all you'd need for this.

EDIT: go for the 64 bit windows, and your processor is pretty fast stock even if it is just a dual core instead of a triple or quad, also if you're looking to further upgrade this system down the road (especially into a gaming platform) you'll want to avoid the 775 motherboards, because they are at their end of life production wise, if this is just a college workstation i think you'll be fine.
December 30, 2009 4:57:52 AM

JustChrono said:
Hard Drive I can answer at least, the preferred brands are Samsung (spinpoint F3), Seagate (7200.12), and Western Digital (Caviar, not sure if Black, Blue, or Green is the best kind there)

On newegg these are the 320GB and 500GB seagates, they are $50 and $55 so five dollars more for an extra 180GB is cool even if you dont think you need it

Heres the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA $55 and everyone likes em so much they're frequently out of stock apparently

I just got ordered that samsung myself earliar today.

You really arent going for a powerful gaming system, so i'm not sure what else to really reccomend, i'm not sure i like the fact that the case comes with a power supply, but if it is an Antec it's probably good and 500W (don't trust me on this) should be pretty much all you'd need for this.

EDIT: go for the 64 bit windows, and your processor is pretty fast stock even if it is just a dual core instead of a triple or quad, also if you're looking to further upgrade this system down the road (especially into a gaming platform) you'll want to avoid the 775 motherboards, because they are at their end of life production wise, if this is just a college workstation i think you'll be fine.

Thank you for the reply. Appreciate the feedback....
Related resources

Best solution

December 30, 2009 8:32:22 AM

If you want a system that will last you awhile with plenty of upgradable options, I would suggest going for an AM3 build as opposed to the 775 one you currently have. The 775 platform uses ddr2 memory, and the CPU is only upgradeable to overpriced, old processors. Not only would an AMD AM3 platform build save you from a dying platform, but you would have a better suited system, meaning faster, for your listed needs.

AMD has the x4 620, which is their entry level quadcore CPU and is something you should consider for everyday use. I don't see the case + psu combo you listed, but the one I have uses the same case and should be similar.

I also suggest investing in a good hard drive. As JustChrono pointed out, spinpoint f3's is the current king. Even if you don't have the need to use 500gb, I suggest picking one up anyways for its new tech. and speed. That's about the most price to performance efficient HDD you can get.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152181
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$54.99

select item 2 quantity of item 2

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129024
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817371030

-$60.00 Instant
-$30.00 Combo

$229.98
$139.98

select item 3 quantity of item 3

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103706
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131406

-$15.00 Combo

$193.99
$178.99

Subtotal: $373.96

You can pick up any cheap DDR3 RAM you see fit. Lower the Case Latency and timings, the better. Good luck!

EDIT: Excuse the format, I'm incredibly lazy ATM and just c/p'd from a newegg cart. :D 
December 30, 2009 12:36:56 PM

vznoobie12 is right on the money.

Take a look at Tom's gaming cpus for December guide. Even if not gaming that basically gives you the price/performance leaders. I second his recommendation on the 620 - especially if not overclocking. That or the phenom ii 550 be. Get the AM3 with DDR3 it's a lot more bang for the buck, and there is a lot more potential.
December 30, 2009 5:21:44 PM

Thanks everyone for taking a look and for the comments. I will look into the am3 w/ ddr3 and go from there.
!