Sign in with
Your question

[AMD] AMD Overdrive did some strange stuff, hardware in danger?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2012 9:05:23 PM

Hi everyone. I'm here with an issue that I'm not sure how I caused, though my first mistake was using AMD Overdrive instead of just the BIOS in the first place. My laptop's processor was marketed as "1.6 GHz capable of overclocking to 2.3 GHz with AMD Overdrive" so I thought I was in the clear - I've never overclocked before, so I suppose it was a rookie mistake.

I overclocked my laptop's CPU to 2.3 GHz easily and was happy with everything, but I must have tweaked some setting (Possibly Turbo Cores?) and now the processors idle at 2.4-2.6 GHz regardless of how I change the slider in AMD Overdrive. Normally more speed would not be a bad thing, but for one thing, I dislike how I now have no control over the speeds of my cores, and for another, whenever the cores hit 2.5 GHz or faster, the voltage jumps from 1.1500 volts (the default) to 1.4125 volts - and according to every guide I've read, this is a damn massive jump.

I'm worried that the increased voltage is resulting in damage to my hardware, and I'd also like to clock the CPU back to 2.3 GHz, because now my fans are speeding up and slowing down at random as the cores change speeds, and frankly, it's both noisy and worrying. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to clock my CPU back to the default, and then give me a pointer as to a safer method of overclocking that can always be changed back.

Here's what I've done:

-I've tried clocking my processor back in AMD Overdrive. No result, as you'll see in this picture:

-I've tried resetting my BIOS, by hitting ESC at startup, F10 to enter BIOS and F9 to "Reset to defaults". According to CPU-Z, this had no effect.

-I've heard of ways of solving my issue using the motherboard, but I don't know how to execute them on a laptop, or even if I should.

Could anyone provide some guidance? I'm really quite worried right now.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2012 1:08:04 AM

The voltage jump isnt uncommon. it looks as if you have the c1e on. it throttles your cpu up and down depending on what is required. which also throttles your voltage up and down.

as for resetting this. you may want to un-install the amd overdrive. and try re starting your comp. if it continues, you'll have to reset the bios, with either the jumper on the MB, or the cmos battery(pop it out or a min, then replace it)
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:39:10 AM

I've uninstalled AMD Overdrive, booted into safe mode and deleted every trace of it in Program Files and every registry value associated with it, rebooted, and no effect. Also, I'm on the High Performance power plan, and I thought that throttled the c1e?

I've heard of the battery or jumper resets, but I'm not sure how to execute them on a laptop. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2012 3:09:22 AM

I would just google the laptop name, and how to disassemble it. there is usually a youtube on how to so. if you have trouble post the brand and model.
m
l
!