TiestoZT

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hello,

first of all, i dont want to OC my CPU, for now i would be completely satisfied with just 100% working stock settings. But i have a problem, the computer keeps freezing on me as soon as i overload it a little.

After some research and testing i narrowed it down to the CPU settings in BIOS. I searched the forums trying to find the recommended settings for stock i7 870 CPU, but no luck.

I played with Vcore setting a bit and got a stable machine with 1.35V. I know this is too much for non-OC i7 870, but even on 1.25V its freezing. Since i read that the CPU should be stable at 1.15V, i guess there are some other settings i should correct too.

Could someone please tell me the correct values for these BIOS settings:
QPI Clock Ratio
PCI Express Frequency
C.I.A. 2
CPU Clock Drive
PCI Express Clock Drive
CPU Clock Skew
Load-Line Calibration

and especcialy all the CPU Voltage settings:
CPU Vcore
QPI/Vtt Voltage
PCH Core
CPU PLL

My computer:
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
i7 870
Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 2x2GB
Gigabyte Radeon 5770
WD Caviar Black 1TB

Thanks

Says who ? :) What I mean is have you tested it yet ?

1. Not familiar w/ your Board's BIOS but there should be an option to set all values to default.....try F5 upon starting machine / opening BIOS.

2. Having previously installed Memtest+ onto a CD, re-enter BIOS and do the following:

a) Change CPU multiplier to lowest number (12) just to get it outta the equation.

Now there's two schools of thought her depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist. I'm an optimist :)

b) The optimist sets mem multiplier to 12 (for 1600 MHz rated stuff) cause he / she assumes that his memory is good. Set memory timings as per "what it says on da box" it came in, set boot order to CD / DVD 1st and save BIOS changes. Reboot w/ Memtest CD in puter and let her rip for minimum of 12 hours. If it passes your golden, you've just proved your memory runs at 1600. If it doesn't ya might try one stick at a time. If a stick fails, try it in a different slot

c) Go into BIOS and put CPU multiplier back to Auto and save. Rerun memtest....if it passes you proved CPU and Memory are cool at rated settings. If not, you gotta go back to where the pessimist starts :) Set mem multiplier to 8 to prove that it can run at 1067 and do all the above.....set to 10 for 1333 speed and do all the above.

When you can run both CPU and RAM at rated speeds, you cab try overclocking......same deal as above.....try BCLK of 160 and mem multiplier of 10 and go from there.

er.....When you can run both CPU and RAM at rated speeds, you can (not cab) try overclocking......same deal as above.....try BCLK of 160 and mem multiplier of 10 and go from there.

<hates not being able to edit posts>

TiestoZT

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I tested the RAM with memtest for 5 passess and it didnt have any errors.

But it seems like SAAIELLO was right. I set everything to auto and i didnt have a freeze for 6 hours now. Lets hope it stays this way!

Anyway, thanks guys for helping. If the freezes return, you will be the first to know :)

Regards