Need to hold the motherboard power button to turn-on the first time

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I'm puzzled. My computer refuse to turn-on the first time unless I hold the motherboard power button down for a while, and then push the motherboard power button once again.

Once it does start up, it Post normally and runs stable (prime95 1 hour / furmark 30 min). I can shutdown, turn back on with the case power button after that.

Unless I unplug the power cable. Once I unplug the power cable(actually the power supply on/off switch) then plug the cable back on, the case power button don't work. To make it start again I have to hold the motherboard power button down for a while, and then push the motherboard power button once again.

I can live with that for now, but would love to resolve this. As far as I can tell, it's about my Motherboard or Power Supply, because the problem happens even without VGA card, memory, case fans and hard drive.

I am overclocking my system at 3.8Ghz, and I messed with some voltages, and it runs stable. Can some voltage stop the system from turning on? I didn't try to reset the configuration. Anyone with a similar experience?

Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Motherboard Asus P6T

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I've been searching about this myself and found about a "cold boot" issue. Seems like a power supply issue after all.

Why holding the power button let me bypass this problem?

Things I tried:
• overclocking or not didn't change anything
• the battery on and off the motherboard
• the case power button disconnected, swap for reset button (the power button works too if I hold it)
• unplugging the 8 pin and 24 pin connectors and reconnecting
• unplugging case fans (left the cpu cooler fan on), memory, vga, hd, mouse, keyboard, ethernet cable
• updating the motherboard (P6T) bios, now using 904

Ready to try kicking the computer, but I'm not sold on the results yet. So I'm back to the first question of this post:

Why holding the power button let me bypass this problem?

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I didn't found a definitive answer to my problem, but testing with a different PSU solved the issue. So I know where the problem is now. I'm not sure someyhing so specific happened. The PSU still works if I hold the power button to turn it on.

jsc was right about the glitch.