Sign in with
Your question

New core i7 build - help needed

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2009 11:31:54 AM

:hello:  Hey guys,

<skip this part if you don't care for background info>

I'm new. I'm from Israel (yeah, i know :kaola:  ), and i'm buying a new computer soon.
I've been using my Barton 2500+/GF4MX400 for the last 6 years or so, and it served me well,
but i figure it's about time i'll upgrade, right ?

Considering the fact that i'll probably stick with this build for the next 6 years or so, i'm going high end. Consider the fact I'm from the middle east, and Taxing + Disturbution costs nearly double the Month-old technologies that get here, my high end ain't probably your high end.

Also, i can't buy from newegg (it's pretty popular around this forums, eh).

</skip>

The current build will cost me about 1750$ (or 1500$ without the monitor), and that's around the area i'd like to stay - money wise. So if you suggest i'll upgrade something, please suggest what i should downgrade instead too...

The computer will mostly be used for games and audio recording/editing.. maybe some video editing down the road. Overclocking is something i'll probably get into later on, when i'll need it (circa 2012~, if i'm lucky, or 2010, if i'm not :crazy: )

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Beginning of /Mid January 2010
BUDGET RANGE: 1500$ After Rebates (1750$ with Monitor)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Sound Editing, Watching Movies, etc...

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I guess it's non-relavant, but
. Can't buy from newegg, and rather not from another country (high taxes and such).

PARTS PREFERENCES:

CPU : Intel core i7 920

Mobo : ASUS ‏P6T Deluxe V2

Memory : ‏3x2GB G.Skill NQ Edition Triple Channel

GPU : Sapphire ‏HD 5770 New Edition 1GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E

Hard Drive : WD Caviar Green 1 TB, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache

DVD-RW : ‏DVD±RW GH22LS50 x22 Black LightScribe Sata Retail‎

Case : ‏ ThermalTake V9 Mid Tower Black Gaming Case VJ40001W2Z (No PSU)

PSU : Chieftec ‏750W Modular 14cm fan, Active PFC, (24pin)

Monitor : LG W2261VP 21.5'' LCD 2ms 1:50000 DVI HDMI WideScreen Black (Already Bought)

Keyboard/Mouse : ‏Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 (Retail)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: The LG I'm buying has a max of 1920x1080, then i suppose that's what i'll use.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

my conflicts/considerations :

Mobo - should i invest extra money in getting the ‏Asus' P6X58D ?
I seriously considered it for the USB 3.0 and Sata 6gb, figuring i'm gonna need the new technologies when my computer's rendered and antique 6 years from now.. but I can instead buy a USB 3.0 pci card when it comes out, and untill they utilize Sata II's efficeny without crazy SSD drives, i shouldn't care for the sata 6gb.
And what about Gigabyte / EVGA ? do they have better/less costly/more reliable equivalent offers ?

GPU - i know it's a tad weak, but i figured it'll do for the next 6 months or so, and if it'll really bother me i'll buy another one and SLI it, or just upgrade it.. but for a time, i considered going for the i5 720 and buying a 5870 with the extra cash downgrading cpu/mobo/memory.. is that a better choice ? will the 5770 utilize my cpu/triple channel memory ?

Hard Drive - should i instead of the Caviar Green 64MB go for the Caviar Black 32MB ? i heared they are faster and more reliable...

Case - How important is it really ? should i invest 50$ and buy a better one ?

Customized cooling - Should i ?!

That's it. I'm also planning on buying a crazy ass sound card in the next couple of months, so i don't care about crappy mobo sound quality.

Thanks in advance,
Yair

More about : core build needed

December 30, 2009 1:05:30 PM

Wrong direction. If you're getting a gaming pc, get the best your budget allows or get out. HD 5850 would be the minimum for that budget. I'd go so far as to say HD 5870 + i5 + P55. Show me what game REQUIRES 6 gigs to run. None. i7 is a total waste of money. You can edit audio on Barton. i5 will more than suffice for gaming & audio editing.

The only way I'd agree on i7 is if you do EXCLUSIVELY multimedia editing with a LARGE budget. Say $1000 excluding LCD.
December 30, 2009 1:13:05 PM

There is a lot that's not balanced. The i7-920 is pretty weak as a gaming CPU, the i5-750 is a beast and much cheaper.

If you want affordable USB 3.0 and SATA 3, the P55-UDX series is unbeatable. From the cheap P55A-UD3 to the highest end UD6, it's a great choice.

Get a 5850 if you want to do some serious gaming.

A Caviar Green? Why not a turtle? These are slow. In fact, even the Caviar Black is slow. The Seagate 7200.12 and Samsung Spinpoint F3 are a lot faster (because they use 500GB platters rather than 250GB ones).

You skimped on the PSU, the single most crucial part of a PC. Get a good brand one. Corsair or Antec if possible, they're about the best you can get.

A case is important because good cooling is so as well. In the same market segment as the V9, there is the Cooler Master 922, the Antec 902, the Antec 600, the Xigmatek Midgard and some others. All better than the V9 without breaking the bank.

Don't invest $50 on cooling, but a decent lower end one like the Cooler Master 212 will allow overclocking or let the CPU take full effect from Turbo mode. It's worth it.

Related resources
December 30, 2009 11:20:11 PM

Silmarunya said:
There is a lot that's not balanced. The i7-920 is pretty weak as a gaming CPU, the i5-750 is a beast and much cheaper.

If you want affordable USB 3.0 and SATA 3, the P55-UDX series is unbeatable. From the cheap P55A-UD3 to the highest end UD6, it's a great choice.

Get a 5850 if you want to do some serious gaming.

A Caviar Green? Why not a turtle? These are slow. In fact, even the Caviar Black is slow. The Seagate 7200.12 and Samsung Spinpoint F3 are a lot faster (because they use 500GB platters rather than 250GB ones).

You skimped on the PSU, the single most crucial part of a PC. Get a good brand one. Corsair or Antec if possible, they're about the best you can get.

A case is important because good cooling is so as well. In the same market segment as the V9, there is the Cooler Master 922, the Antec 902, the Antec 600, the Xigmatek Midgard and some others. All better than the V9 without breaking the bank.

Don't invest $50 on cooling, but a decent lower end one like the Cooler Master 212 will allow overclocking or let the CPU take full effect from Turbo mode. It's worth it.

The i7 920 is great for gaming but its just that the i5 750 is cheaper and that most games right now are gpu limited, so you generally won notice the difrence. and try searching. the caviar black has a much higher write than the seagate. did you even check some reviews?
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16472/6
December 31, 2009 5:19:17 AM

First of all, Thanks guys. You're really helpful, and I appriciate it alot. I fear regreting buying one machine over another, so i'm pretty picky and thorough in my research. Following your advice i created this build :

CPU : Intel Core i5-750 Tray
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
Memory : G.Skill DDR3 4096MB (2048MBx2) 1600Mhz CL 7-7-7-24 Ripjaws
HD : Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 3.5" 1000GB SATA2 32MB
u]GPU[/u] :Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5850 1024MB DDR5 PCIe
DVD Burner : LG GSA-GH22L X22 SATA DVD
Case : CoolerMaster HAF 922
PSU : Antec TruePower 750W
Keyboard / Mouse : Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000
Screen : LG W2261VP 21.5'' LCD 2ms 1:50000 DVI HDMI WideScreen Black (Already Bought)

Questions :
Should i instead of the UD4 go for the UD5/6 ? The main difference i saw is in the secondary PCI-E Multipliers (x16,x8,x4 vs. x16,x16,x4, i believe)

Is that good memory ? should i instead go for higher timings and invest the money saved on something else ?

Any bottlenecks/compatibility issues i might be overlooking ?

thanks in advance,

Yair
December 31, 2009 12:14:47 PM

Now THAT is a gaming rig. High-end at that. The specs show that you did your homework & listened to advice.

If you have money left, invest in a 30GB Vertex SSD. This gaming rig will wipe the floor with the original i7 build cuz i7 will be waiting for the HDD to access data.

Quote:
The i7 920 is great for gaming but its just that the i5 750 is cheaper and that most games right now are gpu limited, so you generally won notice the difrence. and try searching. the caviar black has a much higher write than the seagate. did you even check some reviews?
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16472/6

You're talking about F1 and he's talking about F3. They're NOT the same drive. Did you even read his post?
January 1, 2010 8:05:50 AM

ok, i'm sorry i keep bumping this up, but i got more questions and dilemmas, so forgive me :p 

seems that the place i decided to buy from suggested these parts (probably due to availablity) instead of the parts i listed (the i5 build, that's the one i decided going on..) :

GPU : HIS HD 5850 1GB (256bit) DDR5 PCI-E
CPU COOLING UNIT : DEEPCOOL ICEEDGE 200
Memory : A-DATA G Series 2X2GB 1600MHz CL9

would appriciate info about whether or not these are trusted brands/components..

Also, seems like (luckily, i think) i won't be getting my screen, so i could use suggestions on what brand, size, ms and top resolution i should by for this build (also, hdmi or not ?)..

so this is the full final build (going to buy it next week) :

CPU : Intel Core i5-750 Tray
CPU COOLING UNIT : DEEPCOOL ICEEDGE 200
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
Memory : A-DATA G Series 2X2GB 1600MHz CL9
HD : Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 3.5" 1000GB SATA2 32MB
GPU : HIS HD 5850 1GB (256bit) DDR5 PCI-E
DVD Burner : LG GSA-GH22L X22 SATA DVD
Case : CoolerMaster HAF 922
PSU : Antec TruePower 750W
Keyboard / Mouse : Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000
Screen : unknown

AND i'm planning to run windows 7 - should i buy more memory ?

Thanks alot you guys :p 
January 1, 2010 8:56:10 AM

Never heard of that heatsink. Get the hyper 212, it's great.

You mixed something up in your original post.
SLI = 2 or more Nvidia GPU's
CrossFireX = 2 or more ATI GPU's

So, if you want to crossfire, Gigabyte's motherboard will set the USB 3.0 controller back to USB 2.0 because it gets its bandwidth from the PCI-E lane.
The only proper USB 3.0 board is Asus' P7P55D-E afaik.

RAM looks good, never had A-DATA myself but it should do. 4GB is enough.

You won't need more than 650W for 2 5850s. Save some money there.

Rest looks good.
January 1, 2010 9:04:57 AM

just check the voltage on that ram the new intels dont want more then 1.65v ram
January 1, 2010 9:52:45 AM

first of all, thanks for helping me :p 

yeah, i didn't notice i even mentioned SLI, i know ATI = Crossfire :p 

they don't have hyper 212 available, they have lots of "Scythe" though, if you know any that's worth something i'll appriciate help.. anyways, that's the cooler they suggested :

Deepcool Iceedge 200

it's pretty new (marketed december 2009), and i haven't found any reviews of it.. should i go for it ?

the p7p55d-e is way more expensive, but if i'm better of with it in the long time, i'll invest.
I noticed it runs 8x 8x on crossfire, while the gb one's run 16x 8x (but without usb3).. does that even matter ?

also, i figure that by the time i'll get another 5850 to crossfire, usb3 pci cards would be already around, so i'll just get those when they'll come around (yes, i plan to use the mobo usb3 for a while before i'll buy another graphics card - so the usb3 will come useful on the mobo)

the ram runs at 1.55v - 1.75v... that's a problem ?

and i wanna go safe when picking my PSU, and the difference between 650 and 750 moneywise ain't that big of a deal..

again, thanks for the help ! :hello: 
January 1, 2010 10:29:08 AM

the ram should be fine
January 1, 2010 12:48:19 PM

If you can find it, get this:

Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 750W is high end. It will last you a few upgrades. I have a 1000W and never had to upgrade the PSU. Also, bigger PSUs will save you money on electricity cuz they're not stressed out and lower their efficiency.
January 1, 2010 12:50:30 PM

where you ordering from
January 1, 2010 2:25:35 PM

It's written in his first post. ;) 

There are better Scythe heatsinks than the Shuriken.

Are you sure the motherboard is more expensive? Because on newegg and where I live it's more or less the same.

You're safe with 650W but if there isn't a major price difference then why not.
January 1, 2010 2:45:27 PM

yeah i got that i meant from which branch of ksp they ask which branch on the sit ,i cant suggest a cooler thats in tel aviv but not in jerusalem
January 1, 2010 3:28:46 PM

Guys, you're very helpful, i appriciate it alot and i'm glad i came here before rushing to buy stuff i'll go apeshit about later on ;) 

First of all, i'm not sure i'm buying from ksp anymore. If i do, it'll be from the Ramat Gan branch.

I decided I'm gonna ask for spec price qoute on the full system from three different places (www.ksp.co.il , www.ivory.co.il and www.cobrapc.co.il) and go with the lowest bid (and possibly try to blackmail more discounts from them by saying the other sites go lower =P)
That'll come in handy when i'll need customer support, instead of going to a different manufacturer every time something goes wrong.

Anyways, neither of these sites have the hyper 212 plus (which both you and research tells me is by far the best cpu heatsink), so i'll just buy them from another store online, instead of gambling.

Now, i noticed the A-DATA memory i'm getting is cl-9.. should i go for a cl-7 instead ? will better timings matter much ?

And again, since i have yet to get an answer -
1.Monitor - I could use suggestions on what brand, size, ms and top resolution i should by for this build (also, hdmi or not ?)..

2.HIS GPU 5850 - are they any good ? should i instead stick to a more known brand (ASUS/Gigabyte/Sapphire) or it won't matter much ?

thanks alot you guys ! :) 
January 1, 2010 5:01:49 PM

The hyper isn't the best heatsink but probably the one with the best p/p ratio. Check the link above for an overview.

Memory timings: The lower the better but it ain't worth spending +$10 on -1 digit lower timings imo.

1) My LCD recommendation of the month: SAMSUNG SyncMaster P2450.
Might not be available at your place though, at least it isn't in the states apparently.

2) HIS is good.
!