CPU voltage and vdroop qeustion

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I recently discovered after running a few benchmarks that thou my 4.3 overclocked i5 3570k seemed stable it wouldn't pass any benchmarks test like prime95 or intel burn test (past high setting 10 passes). After messing around i found the perfect voltage at 1.340 but when it is underload it actually runs at 1.280 but this is thee first time ever it passed intel burn test at very high and maxuim and it managed do this for 10 turns, while before it had never passed once. so i can see it running more stable then ever but is safe for voltage to actually drop underload ?

also just paranoia but after i got running stable according test my nvidia driver crashed only once nothign major just rebooted itself but that couldnt be relate to cpu settings could it ? would be right in thinking it was probably just random ?

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

not so sure where the LLC on my motherboard is tbh i shall have look but as voltage that only 1 that gave a stable result nothing else would work i did change 1 other setting at same time it could be that made the difference is shall try 3.10 and see what i get does llc go by any other names on say a gigabyte uefi bios ?

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

aww yes my bios has normal extermere adn turbo modes for that when got motherboard it was sent turbo and i suspect that was causing the unstable overclock when i sent the voltage to 3.40 i also changed that to auto i think that what was cuasin the intel burn instablity is that possible?

I don't quite know what you mean by that because I don't know of ANY voltage that should be set at 3.40V.

And LLC should be set to Extreme.

Regardless, I would expect a 3570K to hit 4.3 at nearly stock voltage (less than 1.2V).

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

hmm well had look llc was set turbo before that was cuasing all my benchmarks to fail and when i got my cpu it was set to 1.340 and i failed btw and i meant 1.340 the whole time not 3.40 and if my auto setting works is vdroop a harmful thing ? cuase why fix a setting that atm is working ?

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
just adding that board is gigibyte GA-Z77-D3H and go back sent volts to 1.295 what it came to me as sorry for early typo 3.40 volt that insane XD and sent llc to exetreme rather then tubro and now i am hoping it pass the benchmarks

Nah, Vdroop isn't harmful, it's actually designed to work that way, but it can cause instability with OC's, which is where LLC comes into play.

For the record, I CAN'T really enable LLC on my board because of an overvoltage issue it causes for some reason, so I run with LLC completely disabled.

In any case, I'm more worried about your voltage than anything else. I don't really understand why a 3570K should need 1.340V (or even 1.280V) for 4.3.

My 2500K passes stress tests @ 4.5 at 1.272V and has a normal voltage of 1.328V. Either you have a really unlucky chip or something strange is going on.

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

well it just the voltage it can overcloked at as i bought as predone bundle and turns out the turbo LLC was cuasing a bug i guess as extremem works fine with volot 1.295 and i think ivy bridge are different most guide and forums have people running at a volto 1.320 or so for 3.5 oc i might try turning down i dont run above 31c ideal or 50 on load anyways thuo i do hit 75-80 on full intel burn test but that seem have abnormal high temps out of all benchmarks i use also you said has normal volt of 1.320 mine has normal volt of 1.295 which is much lower then yours no the LLC is working properly so that is alright voltage then no ?

i just checked bench mark intel burn i dont hit temps higher then 80c on maxuim and i actually run it fine now i fixed my LLC problems with a normal volt of 1.295 and underload 1.332 which seem acceptible to me

A 3570K should still be lower than 1.295V for 4.3, I think. I don't have any direct experience with OC'ing a 3570K, but I KNOW that that still seems like 2500K voltage and NOT 3570K voltage.

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

it could more then likely be turned down some as was origanl a 4.5 overclocked i just turned down to 4.3 for prefence and hadnt really touched voltage why touch what works thuo i still cant get intel burner to work on maxmuim for more then 5 turns but it will run 10-20 plus turns of very high so suppose that a very stable oc

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I decied not to go back to 4.5 just no need really for gaming and turned volt down to 1.275 on 4.3 overclock and running fine that should be more then low enough now

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I decied not to go back to 4.5 just no need really for gaming and turned volt down to 1.275 on 4.3 overclock and running fine that should be more then low enough now