Sign in with
Your question

First Time Build - Correct Components Chosen?

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2009 1:38:48 PM

This is my first ever home build PC.

I will be using Windows 7 Home Edition.

The PC will be used mainly for gaming and general day to day use. Will also be used for viewing HD movies.

I may eventually try overclocking but will not be doing any extreme overclocking so water cooling is not a requirement.

SLI or X Fire not really an essential requirement initially but I may add a second graphics card in the future

I think the components I have chosen are ok and will work together but I would like to double check first with the experts before I order the components.

CPU = Intel I5 750 Retail Edition

Motherboard = Asus P7P55D LE

Memory = G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz CL9 Dual Channel

Graphics card = HIS HD 5770 1GB

Case = Antec 300

Power Supply = Corsair 650W TX Series

Hard Drive = WD 640GB SataII 7200rpm 16mb cache - OEM Caviar blue

Total cost Approx = £ 600

This is about right for my budget but I can increase a bit if I need to.

I already have the copy of Windows 7 and I will be reusing my existing keyboard, mouse, monitor and DVD Drive.

Is there anything I need to change and/or have I missed anything essential?

Thanks.

December 30, 2009 1:55:33 PM

That is a good starting build. If you can switch out the hard drive for either a Caviar Black, Samsung F3, or Seagate 7200.12, you will get a little better performance.

Since the motherboard you chose is for a single graphics card, you do not need a 650W power supply. However, the one you chose will work fine and is excellent. If you need to save some money, you could go with the Corsair 550VX or Antec EA500. Get whichever one has the best deal when you make your purchase.

If you do want to crossfire two graphics cards in the future, then you should upgrade the motherboard to a ASUS P7P55D PRO, or any other motherboard that offers X8X8 PCIe slots when two graphics cards are used. If you upgrade the motherboard, then stick with the Corsair 650TX PSU.

The memory you chose is fine but the timings are not great. Look for deals on either 1333 or 1600 Mhz memory with CAS 7 or 8 timings. Again, get whichever one has the best deal when you make your purchase.

The Antec 300 case is fine. If you can get the Antec 300 Illusion, it offers slightly beter cooling.

Good luck with your build.
December 30, 2009 2:23:56 PM

dpaul8 said:
That is a good starting build. If you can switch out the hard drive for either a Caviar Black, Samsung F3, or Seagate 7200.12, you will get a little better performance.

Since the motherboard you chose is for a single graphics card, you do not need a 650W power supply. However, the one you chose will work fine and is excellent. If you need to save some money, you could go with the Corsair 550VX or Antec EA500. Get whichever one has the best deal when you make your purchase.

If you do want to crossfire two graphics cards in the future, then you should upgrade the motherboard to a ASUS P7P55D PRO, or any other motherboard that offers X8X8 PCIe slots when two graphics cards are used. If you upgrade the motherboard, then stick with the Corsair 650TX PSU.

The memory you chose is fine but the timings are not great. Look for deals on either 1333 or 1600 Mhz memory with CAS 7 or 8 timings. Again, get whichever one has the best deal when you make your purchase.

The Antec 300 case is fine. If you can get the Antec 300 Illusion, it offers slightly beter cooling.

Good luck with your build.

Thats great, thanks for your quick reply. I will check out the other components you have mentioned to see if the prices are favourable.

December 30, 2009 2:43:10 PM

I just noticed that you indicated that you wanted to use this computer to view high definition movies. You will need a Blu-Ray DVD player to do this, and you have not listed any optical drive. Blu-ray drives can be expensive. Your alternative is to just get a regular CD/DVD burner and give up the HD movie option.

Also, the stock heat sink fan that comes with the processor is noisy and not very efficient. It is worthwhile getting a Hyper 212 heat sink fan now because they are relatively cheap and easy to install before the motherboard is added to the case. Retrofitting one of these coolers is difficult if your case does not have a special opening on the motherboard mount.
!