Overclocking Bus Speed?

G

I have a i7-2700K with CM 212+, 8 GB G.Skill Ram 1600 MHz, 700 Watt PSU, GTX 560, and a ASUS Sabertooth P67. I want to know whether its safe to overclock my Bus Speed just a little. Its at 100.00 MHz right now, what is the LIMIT on my setup? Thanks

Solution

I honestly don't know why the board would allow you to go up to 300Mhz with the BCLK because anything much over 110Mhz or so would completely destroy the USB and PCIe bus (or devices on them), not to mention corrupting all data on the SATA bus. Complete lunacy for 300Mhz, lol...
OCing with the Bus speed also OC other parts such as Ram and other components on the board, So in other words its better to OC threw the Bus (FSB). Multi is safer as said above, Its easy to adjust the multi rather then the Bus or FSB.

It is harder to get an FSB OC stable, which includes a bit more knowledge when things get iffy. You can probably do 105 - 110 or maybe 115 without adding any volts. Something would need to play with.

G

Thanks guys, but when i point to the BCLK clock speed on the right it shows RANGE: 100 - 300 MHz. Does this mean the MAXIMUM the BCLK could be EVER or what? I noticed that just increasing it by a few MHz makes a HUGE difference in OCing so is this some crazy mistake? lol Anyway, thanks for the responses I guess Ill just overclock with Multiplier only since its easier, I just thought BCLK OCing would have benefits like LESS heat on the CPU. Is this true?

I honestly don't know why the board would allow you to go up to 300Mhz with the BCLK because anything much over 110Mhz or so would completely destroy the USB and PCIe bus (or devices on them), not to mention corrupting all data on the SATA bus. Complete lunacy for 300Mhz, lol.

And no, it certainly wouldn't create any less heat. Heat output really has nothing to do with what method you use to OC, just the voltage that you have to use.

Also, like I said earlier, from the people that I've seen that have done both at the same time, or even just a pure BCLK OC, their OC's are usually not very stable, and actually create slightly MORE heat than just using the multiplier (even though it shouldn't).

Solution