Sign in with
Your question

Incredibly slow HDD read times

Last response: in Storage
December 14, 2011 2:31:46 AM

Hi all,

I just benchmarked my WD Black 7200rpm 1tb hdd with Defraggler(64bit) and got a random read speed of 2.55mb/s. I tried it again to make sure the score was correct and got 2.13mb/s. This WD Black is my main drive and I have two others, another WD Black (I think the same as my main but REFURBISHED) and a Samsung EcoGreen 2tb. These other two hdds got read speeds well over 100mb/s.

I may just be paranoid, but now that I think about it, in some games like Batman: Arkham Asylum, I see the hdd light flashing on my case and the game dropping below 30fps.

My motherboard is an ASUS p8p67 deluxe, maybe there's some setting in the BIOS holding me back?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, my main hdd is only 1% fragmented.
a b G Storage
December 14, 2011 2:53:11 AM

Maybe a driver - or the Sata port you use - if possible try the drive in another computer so see if you get same result :) 
a b G Storage
December 14, 2011 4:02:19 AM

Try downloading HD Tune and confirm that the readings are correct. A read speed of 2.33 MB a second would result in 30 minute boot times which you would surely notice. Games like Batman are resource intensive and there will be times when your system will be stretched.
Related resources
December 14, 2011 7:26:28 PM

update- I defragmented that 1% overnight and did a boot-time defrag and then proceeded to test it again and I get around 70mb/s now, is that about right for a 7200rpm hdd?
I guess that 1% did matter somehow..
a b G Storage
December 14, 2011 7:54:17 PM

70 mb/s is not unreasonable for that spindle speed. I believe you got a erroneous reading as a speed of 2.33 mb/s would have made the machine practically un bootable. It always pays to use more than one testing program and when it comes to HDD readings I have found HD Tune very reliable and consistent.
!