Sign in with
Your question

Using WRT54GL as a wireless extender/access point?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 17, 2010 7:50:05 PM

I have a Netgear DG834G v5 ADSL Modem/router running V6.00.25 firmware

This is located in the ground floor den & supplies wired connections to a WHS server, 2 Xbox360s via a Belkin 5 Port 10/100 Network Switch and various portable kit via wi-fi.

My problem is that the wi-fi range isn't suffient to reach to the top floor of the house.

I have a spare Linksys WRT54GL router running v4.30.14 firmware that I would like to use to extend the range.

I have one of the Xbox's connected upstairs via ethernet and I was planning to replace this with the WRT54GL and then have the Xbox conected to it (also still wired)

The WRT would then (I assume) be able to act as wi-fi access point for my portable stuff when I'm upstairs.

The problem is that I can't figure out how the heck to configure it!

Can someone please give me an "idiots" step-by-step guide as to how to do this!!!!

I have searched the web & found lots of posts & guides, but they all seam to either assume more tech knowledge than I have, or are for similar, but different kit with different settings!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks

Nez
March 18, 2010 12:38:50 AM

While you can certainly connect devices to the WRT54GL in router/AP mode, that just creates a separate network, essentially an island that has no access to the rest of the world (i.e., your network and the Internet). You need to wirelessly “bridge” the WRT54GL router to the Netgear DG834G modem/router.

The traditional means to wirelessly bridge devices is called WDS, and both devices would need to support it. And since WDS is not a certified wifi protocol, implementations vary across manufacturers, so incompatibilities are common. But assuming each supports WDS (they probably do), you could still try it. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

The better solution (and one that would definitely work) would be to install dd-wrt (third party firmware) on the Linksys WRT54GL and configure it as a “repeater bridge”. Fortunately the WRT54GL, versions 1.0 and 1.1, support it. Now all your devices, regardless of which router you use, are part of the same network and have full access to any other devices and the Internet.
!