Newbie OCing, and help?

harry2811

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi
So, I am wanting to overclock my processor, so that I can get more out of FSX. My current system specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium
ASRock 890FX 5
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Processor, 3000MHZ, 6 cores
8.00GB installed physical RAM, total physical 6.00GB
I have the ASRock UEFI Bios thing, and it has an option for overclocking automatically sort of thing. Shall I try this? A step by step guide would be helpful. This PC cost me a lot, saved up for a long time, and I don't want it to break!
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Harry

No matter what, when you overclock, you put the system at risk. If you are fearful of it breaking, your better off either pushing it a tiny bit or not at all. (especially if you are using stock cooler because you haven't even mentioned an aftermarket cooler)

harry2811

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Basically, it was a pre-owned custom built PC, and I am very new to the "guts" of a computer, so to speak. I don't think it has an after market cooler. Would you advise against overclocking then, for me personally?

My personal take on this is as follows; Read up on overclocking, see what is involved. There are excellent stickies here at Tom's, more at Overclockers, and still more at Overclock. All are good sources of info. Ask questions here for clarification of what you've read (sometimes it doesn't make sense at first).
Once you are familiar with what is involved (including risks), you will be far more prepared to go that route. Personally, I would hold off for now.
BTW, FSX will happily take (and use) the extra speed so it is a viable option to take once you're prepared.