Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Buy the OCZ Vertex 3 or wait ?

Last response: in Storage
December 14, 2011 5:12:09 AM

OCZ Vertex 3 120gb seems to be the one to buy these days. However, this model has been out for a while. Does anyone know if the Vertex 3 is going to be replaced anytime soon? I dont want to kick myself 2 months down the road knowing that something bigger and better is out. And I know things always are changing, but I would rather buy something when its new, and not at the end of its generation.
Any advice on weather or not i should buy now or wait would be great.

More about : buy ocz vertex wait

December 14, 2011 5:26:26 AM

It will be replaced by the OCZ Octane 128GB version pretty soon. The 256GB version is already out but I'm not sure when the 128GB version will come.
m
l
December 14, 2011 5:35:05 AM

Thank you for your input, I was checking the specs of the Octane 128GB and it appears the read times are close to the Vertex 3. However the Write times are 170mb/s compared to 500mb/s in the Vertex 3. Would the Octane be a better drive still performance wise?
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2011 6:01:08 AM

I had an OCZ Vertex 3. It failed after 8 months. I would steer clear of it, it's caused a massive annoyance to myself with not just loss of data, but mucking around returning it and getting a new replacement.
m
l

Best solution

December 21, 2011 2:06:13 PM

I've got a Vertex2 120gb drive currently, had it for a while now and never had a problem and overall i've been very pleased with performance. That literally means nothing of if a Vertex3 will be reliable but my next SSD will be of the OCZ type. The Vertex3 has been out for a while which doesn't necessarily mean that a replacement one will be coming soon as i haven't personally herd about a successor to the Sandforce 2281 or the Vertex 3 line. Now the Octane line is utilizing their own SSD Chip from the Indilinx company they bought out. Will be interesting since OCZ has such a close relationship with Sandforce to see if/how that impacts those lines. Looks like the affordable Octane drives are slower in smaller sizes due to less chips so if i were to buy a drive today, i would go for the Vertex3 and would i wait for the next best thing? nope because you may be waiting a long time. Now if companies announced new drives coming in X months, it might be worth waiting.
December 23, 2011 11:25:43 PM

Best answer selected by buttscratchr.
m
l
!