Solved

Http://www tomshardware com/forum/262723-30-motherboard-memory-triple-channel-du

Is it possible to put 3x2gb ddr3 1600 tr channel into an i7-920 with existing 2x2gb ddr3 1600 dual channel and X58UD3 that supports both channels and what happens.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about http tomshardware forum 262723 motherboard memory triple channel
  1. You will lose both dual and triple channel support by doing so, siince you are running 5 sticks of RAM. It is possible to do so though. You need to either be running mutiples' of 2 or 3 to support dual/triple channe, if that is what you want. .

Also, it is typically not recommend to mix RAM's unless they are exactly the same, since it increases the risk of random BSOD.
  2. So, use ram in even numbers and don't mix dual and triple channels. Either update all to triple or continue with dual.

thnx
  3. Yes... I would recommend running as is in dual-channel or update all to triple-channel.

Can I ask what applications are you doing that needs more than 4GB of RAM?
  4. tecmo34 said:
    Yes... I would recommend running as is in dual-channel or update all to triple-channel.

Can I ask what applications are you doing that needs more than 4GB of RAM?

Games and office excel. Usually have mutlitple tabs open as I multitask.
  5. another question. Does latency have to be the same and what's the performance difference in latencies.
  6. Best answer
    Latency, along with MHz and Voltage all need to be equal when mixing memory. The lower the Latency (timings) the better the RAM performs. Latency is basically the speed in which the memory processes data.
  7. thnx. You've been a wonderful help. Off to buy the ram.
  8. Best answer selected by ashley_62.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 Triple Channel Motherboards