Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2010 3:19:51 AM

So im so confused about buying a new motherboard. I just upgraded my pc but realized i wanted to do crossfire or SLI and my old one doesnt support that. So basically i want a new motherboard but am not sure how to tackle the most daunting task there ever was lol
First my computer specs:
I jsut upgraded to an amd phenom X4 965 black edition
My motherboard only allows me to have 4 gb of ram so i have that, it is ddr3 though
I have a Radeon HD 5770-my mobo only allows me to have 1 pcie card installed. The rest two are pci
My mobo itself is a Pegatron M2N68-LA (Micro-ATX).
It came with an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset.
Front side bus speed =2000MT/s (2.0 GT/s)
HyperTransport 1.0 based on the NVIDIA GeForce chipset requirements
Now assuming money wasnt an option (please no 1000 dollars motherboards!), what would be the best mobo to buy. How are you going to answer that if you dont even know what sort of things im looking for----------->i want a mobo that has atleast 2 pci16 slots(more is okay too) both at 16 would be nice not one 16 and the other 8 as some mobos i was looking at did. I want to do crossfire in the near future. Also im a little confused about compatability-will my new mobo detect all my hardware. I know i have to deactivate windows and reactivate that shouldnt be a problem. Its just that im confused what board to buy and i dont want to go buy a board that wont recognize my cpu or other hardwares. Also, if i wanted to say go for an intel cpu im guessing id need a intel board correct? What bout ifi wanted to upgrade to a new cpu-which i will soon to say something like a hexacore, i would need a board that would support that and other future cpus. I know thats hard to tell since none of us know what future will ahve but basically im looking for a high end board thats not too expensive-as in not 1000 or 500 bucks!
ANy help would greatly be appreciated guys, and thank you so much

More about : buying mobo

a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2010 3:38:39 AM

This one looks pretty good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your current hardware is compatible with this board. It supports upgrade to hex core. Windows may need new drivers for motherboard items.
If you went intel, you would need a intel board, correct. ;) 
This board supports 3 cards at 16X8X8, 2 cards at 16x16x

its has onboard graphics, which is not very helpful, but may be when you get a new board, wont need a card to keep it running as a spare rig.

I don't know if that is the best ever board, but it is cheap and has all the things you need. MSI makes good boards though, I'm using one right now.

!