New mid-range socket 1366 gaming pc

Hello there,
Y’all give such good advice, I thought you might be able to help me. I have not built a computer for some time now – I remember being thrilled I could upgrade to a 9600 baud modem last time – and there have been some big changes since then! My current computer is a Dell Dimension 4500, which runs most of the things I need it to on the lowest possible settings with only a little difficulty. I’m not looking for the fastest gaming rig possible, because anything out there will be so much better than my current Pentium 4 2.4 GHz/ 1Gig ram system I'll be blown away easily.


APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next fortnight BUDGET RANGE: $1200-1525 after Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming (X3, DDO, NWN2) video editing, watching dvd’s (and eventually blue-ray)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: none
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, or any reputable site with better deals
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: I like the socket 1366
OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Possibly as an upgrade down the road.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC. I’m looking for a computer I won’t have to replace for 5-7 years, and one I will be able to upgrade. It would be nice to get the price down a bit without sacrificing quality. Suggestions? I can get Windows 7 at an educators discount, so not included here.


ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail $179.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail $109.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail $288.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail $224.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support - Retail $33.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 100 Black RF Wireless Standard Keyboard and Mouse - Retail $30.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126041

Monitor: I’m not sure – what do you think of this monitor?
ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $219.99
(out of stock – I have another monitor I can use in the meantime)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

Any thoughts?
8 answers Last reply
More about range socket 1366 gaming
  1. Would you have any objection to adding about $120 to your build and upgrading to a 5850? If you want to have this system for around 5 to 7 years, a second 5850 could be added later and make your system pretty formidable. I just feel like it's a better place to start.

    Bottom line: eventually having crossfired 5850s will be better in 3 years than crossfired 5770s.

    You can save money on RAM by switching to these OCZ Golds which run at the same frequency with the same timings as the Corsairs you have listed:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

    These are $120 after rebate, making them $85 cheaper than yours. Add this to your graphics budget.
  2. I built myself an i7 920 rig in Sept. $1400, without a monitor (using my old 19" for now). Check my info for details if you want.

    To save some money, and since I don't have any serious overclocking in mind, I bought this MSI board for $189. It's worked great for me.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130226

    I did go with slower RAM, figure I'll upgrade later when needed. I used Crucial's DDR3 6GB kit (3x2GB) at 1333 instead of 1600. Current price is around $154 for those.

    I prefer Samsung's monitors, but I've heard good things about Asus.
  3. The only thing I see with that MSI motherboard is that if he eventually wanted to do three graphics cards, he would be limited to x4 bandwidth on one of the PCI slots. With his current motherboard he'll have better overclocking features and stability (which is important because he wants to keep it for 5 to 7 years) and x16/x16/x8
  4. mortonww said:
    Would you have any objection to adding about $120 to your build and upgrading to a 5850? If you want to have this system for around 5 to 7 years, a second 5850 could be added later and make your system pretty formidable. I just feel like it's a better place to start.

    Bottom line: eventually having crossfired 5850s will be better in 3 years than crossfired 5770s.

    You can save money on RAM by switching to these OCZ Golds which run at the same frequency with the same timings as the Corsairs you have listed:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

    These are $120 after rebate, making them $85 cheaper than yours. Add this to your graphics budget.


    Thanks, this looks like sound advice. With the cheaper memory, the better graphics card isn't too much more than what I had thought of as my desired max cost. Do all the other components look sound?
  5. mortonww said:
    The only thing I see with that MSI motherboard is that if he eventually wanted to do three graphics cards, he would be limited to x4 bandwidth on one of the PCI slots. With his current motherboard he'll have better overclocking features and stability (which is important because he wants to keep it for 5 to 7 years) and x16/x16/x8


    I'm not sure I'll be using three graphics cards, but then I have no idea what game designers will throw at us in three years. Having better stability also sounds like what I was looking for though, so the Asus motherboard sounds like a good choice still. Thanks for the MSI suggestion though, Mortonww.
  6. I don't plan to go to 3 graphics cards ever, so that's why the MSI board works for me. I'd rather keep upgrading my single (or 2) cards in the future. It really is about what you're trying to plan for down the line.

    As for overclocking, that is something to decide (and plan for) now. If you think you'll want to do real overclocking, stay with the Asus board. I'll probably just put in a better processor down the line for myself.

    How I kept my previous system (A P4 processor) useable for 6 years was by upgrading the processor down the line, kept upgrading graphics cards as needed (went through 3 total), and maxed the memory at some point.

    One other thing to consider is what future processors your board might handle. I know Intel should have some new cpu's out for 1366 sockets in 2010. Check if the Asus board plans for that-they are good about it on their high end boards.

    I do agree you might want to switch to a 58xx card if you can.
  7. 5-7 is a bit of a stretch....certainly can make it useful as a lite duty box in 4 years but don't expect to be able to play the hottest games in 3 -4 years.

    This MoBo is very similar but has USB 3 and SATA 6 GB/s
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

    Memory is a bit overpriced for CAS8....CAS 6 only a bit more:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226050

    I like 1920 x 1200 monitors over 1920 x 1080
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Asus+1920+x+1200&x=0&y=0
  8. JackNaylorPE said:
    5-7 is a bit of a stretch....certainly can make it useful as a lite duty box in 4 years but don't expect to be able to play the hottest games in 3 -4 years.

    This MoBo is very similar but has USB 3 and SATA 6 GB/s
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

    Memory is a bit overpriced for CAS8....CAS 6 only a bit more:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226050

    I like 1920 x 1200 monitors over 1920 x 1080
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Asus+1920+x+1200&x=0&y=0


    Thanks - just a little more expensive, but the memory and board look like they are worth it. I'm thinking perhaps a Dell monitor now though.

    I appreciate all the comments!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product