DVD Drive problems. Help!

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi,

Having a weird issue with a Dell Inspiron 1545:

The DVD drive doesn't seem to be reading properly. It seems to play a DVD just fine, if you go into My Computer, the name of the drive changes to the name of the disc and it recognizes it. But it WILL NOT play any other kind of Audio CD-R, CD-RW , burned or original. You put the audio CD in and it spins up reallyyy loud, but doesn't recognize and will not play. I tried reinstalling the driver, making sure I had the latest driver, Went intot Device Mngr and everything was as it should be: no yellow or red marks indicating any problems. I uninstalled the device from there and let it reinstall but still same problem.

After all this, Thinking this was a laser issue, I got a refurbished replacement drive for a Inspiron 1545 off Ebay. I replaced the Drive...same problem.

Is it possible, I recieved a second bad drive off Ebay? I know Ebay can be sketchy and I don't normally order computer parts off of it but believe it or not, these thigns aren't what I call cheap. Either it was a coincidence and the replacement drive I ordered was bad ... OR.... there's something else going on here? Thanks.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for the reply but in all honesty, I find that 'tool' junk. Thew few times I've used the MS 'fixit' tool, it's never ever worked.

I figured it was a lazer issue/drive issue but just wanted to know if anyone else had anything to say.

I ordered a manufacturer refurbished replacement drive for it ... that drive had the exact same problem. So, I got a 3rd drive ... workd perfect!! Turns out the original drive was bad alright, but so was the first replacement they sent me.

Resolved. Bad drive.