Fan controlling software problem?

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I wasn't to sure where to put this but it affects air cooling so it's going here.

I have recently build my first PC and I ordered a Zalman Z9 Plus case to put it all in. It however is yet to arrive and all my other parts are I here so I have a small pretty crap CIT case so I decided to put them in until the Zalman arrives. It has space for 4 case fans(3 pin) and my stock heatsink fan(4pin). The 4 pin goes directly into the motherboard and the 4 case fans go into 2 3pin slots with a splitter on. All the fans work and when I go into the BIOS it gives me 1 reading for a CPU Fan and 1 for a case fan (not 4, just 1). Then when I go into a program like SpeedFan or AMD Overdrive when you can control fan speed, no fans show up. This isn't a problem for now but when I have 7 fans on my Zalman spinning on full constantly it's going to get annoying.

What is the problem?

Should I just buy a fan controller, if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

skaz

Distinguished

Your post is a little confusing. Not all motherboards support the control or reading of all fan headers. Also 2 fans connected to a header via a y splitter will not give out a correct reading unless one of the two has its sense connection unplugged. And controlling these fans (minus the PWM fan) would have to be voltage controlled. So yes buy yourself a fan controller if you want to be able to have full control of your 3 pin fans. I use to recommend scythe controllers but their recent QC with the soldering on their stuff has been disappointing. Lamptron is another brand you can look at. Good luck mate.

most older fanspeed programs cant read the new thermal chips on the mb. the mb fendors most time have programs like thermal radar (asus) when as long as the fans are on the mb fan header you can control the fans by temp or fan speed.
but the fans have to be pmw fans or ones that can take voltage change. also a lot of new bios have a fan warning speed. if you want a slow spinging case fan you have to drop the warning speed from 800 to 200 and set the fan to silent or to turn on at a set temp.

jaywald

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Ok thanks, I'll check them out

TRENDING THREADS