Socket 1366 - Deciding~

LenusDe

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I was making a new build and i have been stuck on picking a mother board for like the last week, haha. There are so mny good ones.. I was going to get the ASUS P6X58D Premium But thn i also saw these:

MSI Big Bang-XPower <-- only like 25$ more

ASUS P6X58D-E

and couple more i cant think of atm..

I'm not basing any of these boards by OC'n potential. BUT I'm looking for a good solid MB, good quality, energy effeicent, that doesnt over heat, uses tri chan memory but has good power to it~

Future i might cross fire or sli w.e..

I use the following:

Case
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Processor
Intel Core i7-930
Heatsink
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
GFXC
SAPPHIRE HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
Ram
Not sure what to get yet, Looking for DDR3 6gb

So based on this, ne opinions on what motherboard i should get?
I kinda already leaning towards one but, other opinions wouldn't hurt..

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
The ASUS P6X58D Premium looks like a very good mobo. If you're in that price class, maybe also take a look at the Gigabyte EX58A-UD5. I have about the same mobo and I like it a lot. Overclocks like a dream (if you would consider it), has USB3 and SATA3, very neat layout, 10 SATA ports, support for up to triple sli/crossfire setups and about the same price as the asus you mentioned.

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

IMO the P6X58D Premium is overprice, from ur options I would go with the ASUS P6X58D-E since can give u the same performance that the ASUS Premium or with this Gigabyte X58A-UD3R.

Like I say u don't want a Crossfire and even if u want a future Crossfire u don't need 6 PCI-E slot (MSI mobo) since that with 3 or more GPU are a waste of money and u won't see any significant performance increase.

This G.Skill PI 1600 6GB (3x2GB) are very solid.

LenusDe

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Thats not bad~ the only thing is though would the Hyper 212+ be so close to the ram tht the heat spreaders on the ram would get in the way? I see lota vids/pic with the 212+ on dual ram boards but not tri. and saw 1 vid where thy had the 212+ with the clip on fans and he moved his up a tad to get it off his heat spreaded ram, but my 212 has the fan mounted on there with a brace so i cant do tht.