Blank screen and beeping after installation

A week ago, I asked for some advice here after my old 7900GS suddenly died. The feedback I got was very helpful and reassuring, confirming my suspicions that PCI-E 2.0 was backwards compatible and as a result, I determined that a 9600GT I'd purchased was faulty since it was producing strange vertical bands on screen. I returned that card for a refund and instead purchased a BFG 9800GT 512MB with EcoIntelligence.

I tried to install it today and despite the fact that my machine easily meets the minimum spec, it still won't accept a PCI-E 2.0 card. I tried starting the machine up and got a blank screen. It then beeped at me, one long and three short which I believe is a GPU issue on my board.

I then replaced it with the 7100GS I've been using as a stopgap and discovered that the previous attempt to boot with the new card had actually reached some stage of loading Windows XP because there was a message saying that Windows had been unable to start due to a hardware issue.

The motherboard is an ASUS M2V I purchased in August 2007, using the VIA K8T890 chipset (I was trying to work out which BIOS revision I had). From searching the internet, it appears that some VIA chipsets seem to work with Nvidia graphics cards from the 8/9 series. Both BFG and ASUS tech support have said that it should work, but it clearly doesn't. Have I just been incredibly unlucky and been sent two faulty graphics cards, or is there an underlying issue?

I have no idea why my machine is doing this and am starting to think that I might as well change the motherboard anyway. The case is somewhat small but does fit an ATX motherboard. I'm on a budget of around £50 max for a new mainboard if I have to, so can anyone suggest a good AM2 mainboard that won't break the bank; I'm a student and I have a "cashflow issue".
5 answers Last reply
More about blank screen beeping installation
  1. I'm too lazy to google beep codes right now. I will however get you to check all your cabling/wiring. When you futz around inside your case it's easy to slightly dislodge a connection....... okay, so I googled.......... says VGA. Got power going to the card itself ? Is your power supply up to snuff.....what is it ? make and model please.
  2. I've had a response from ASUS, contradicting their first e-mail to me, telling me that my mainboard is incompatible. It looks like I'll have to change the mobo.
  3. To add more detail to the situation, it appears that due to a known limitation of my chipset, I can't run a PCI-E 2.0 card. Unless I downgrade, I won't find a graphics card that will work!
  4. I find it hard to believe you can't run a new card on that board. 1.0 or 2.0... shouldn't matter. What do you have for a power supply ? make/model/watts/amps, etc.
  5. I've investigated the problem thoroughly and it's definitely a chipset issue. Some of the early VIA chipsets aren't forwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0. It appears to be a known issue with certain ASUS motherboards running particular chipsets. The M2V I have was one of the first AM2 motherboards with a VIA chipset, the K8T890. Having tried various ideas, I've eliminated everything else as the cause of the problem. The machine needs to be upgraded anyway, so I might as well do it now instead of 6 months from now.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems