New gaming rig, need an AM3 mobo.

nochancemrp

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I'm leaning towards the Phenom 965 BE, XFX 5770, and 4 GB DDR3 1600 Ripjaws. I just need a mobo for it all. I can't see myself spending $175-200 on a mobo. I'm still a casual gamer, and don't plan to OC.

So I'd like the price range maybe $130 and under. If I "must" get something that expensive, something else is going to get downgraded. I'm not Trump. ;)

Solution
that should be fine as well, i was just looking at motherboard that supported at least x8/x8 crossfire since i usually assume people think about adding another GPU (in your case 5770) to the computer eventually
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Here are three options for u, select the best price for ur budget:

1- GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H a little more expensive but good options if u want Crossfire in the future.
2- GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3
3- GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H

Bear in mind that if u want Crossfire in the future the mobo must support Crossfire @ x16 or @ x8 in that case only the 1st option is valid or a mobo with 890FX chipset that is more expensive.

nochancemrp

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Well I've been reading up on everything I plan to purchase. Seems that the 5850 would be better in the long run, casual gamer or not lol... I forgot about games like Mafia 2, Rage, Crysis 2. These mobo's listed still viable options?