Newb Question - Will OCing make a difference?

Bobmma

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I am a complete newb, considering whether or not to attempt my first PC build. So I am in the researching phase, learning about all the components, brands, etc. Whether I build or buy, I want the fastest machine my budget will allow.

This is what I use my computer for: multitasking with dual monitors. I usually stream video on one monitor (netflix, hulu, etc) and I use the other monitor for all/most of the following at the same time: Excel, Word, browsing with multiple windows/tabs, with media downloading in the background. I would also like to do some light video and photo editing, just home videos/pics.

Before I pick out other parts, I want to pick out the CPU. And before I pick out the CPU, I want to know if I should even consider OCing. I was thinking Ivy Bridge i5. I would rather go with a comp that is more powerful than what I need, to leave myself room for additional hobbies I may acquire in the future (e.g. more intense video editing, photoshop, etc.)

Thanks to anyone that replies.

Solution
Modern processors are quite fast without having to OC them. This includes IVB CPU's.

An i5 IVB would be perfect for what you are looking for.

I have the SB i5 2550K - not OC'd (yet) and it handles everything perfectly fine. There are only a few circumstances where I can bring the CPU to its knees.

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
with your build just get a i3 2130 if all your doing is web browsing and OC for browsing the internet haha you make me laugh now if you where gaming then OC would make a slight differant in it but for web browsing so its really not worth the risk

Ignore the i3 part of that, basically.

An Ivy i5 is my recommendation for your uses, BUT you won't need to OC it for a while, if ever.

Modern processors are quite fast without having to OC them. This includes IVB CPU's.

I have the SB i5 2550K - not OC'd (yet) and it handles everything perfectly fine. There are only a few circumstances where I can bring the CPU to its knees.

Solution

devilofdeaths

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

i do agree about you saying ignor the i3 part i couldnt think of a i5 for his needs