Building a new PC, want to keep my old HDD

phenomenalphalanx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I am building a new PC, so can i just take my old HDD and stick it into the new system (saving me from having to reload windows and all my programs)? I know there will be some driver issues, but i can figure those out. I would be interested in a RAID 0 setup with a second drive, but i have to know if my data will stay the same, with only the capacity changing... Please help!!

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
If you create a raid 0 drive, the drives are both formatted so they can stripe. All the drivers installed on the hdd will conflict with the hardware, so I would back up all your data, format the drive, put it in raid 0 with and hdd of the same size and then reinstall on your new system. Its much easier.

I always recommend a fresh install. There is always some low level stuff that will remain behind and could give you nightmares. Plus as exban mentions, raid will format the drives anyway.

Use the Easy Transfer to move all your current settings and files. You will have to reinstall the software, but that will be better in the long run anyway.