What radiator to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey!

I have a quick question. My case (500r) only allows a radiator of 30mm or less thick in the top. Therfore, I've ended up with the choice between these two radiators:

MagiCool SLIM DUAL 240 Radiator
http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p1711_MagiCool-SLIM-DUAL-240-Radiator.html

&

Alphacool NexXxoS Pro II Radiator Rev. 2
http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p686_Alphacool-NexXxoS-Pro-II-Radiator-Rev--2.html

They're both of 30 mm thickness which will fit my case. Please don't suggest any other radiators more than 30mm as I won't be able to fit them.

Thanks a lot in advance guys!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What are you going to be cooling with this radiator?

To be honest, I think both of those rads are actually the same rads, just branded and resold after being manufactured under a different vendor name.

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna be cooling my i5 2500k. Thinking of an average over clock on around 4.5 GHz for everyday use - that'll work just fine - right? :)

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

How would that be possible when the total space up there is no more than 30mm? As mentioned I want to keep the mesh grill on top. I'm gonna mount the fans underneath, just above the mono.

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I'm glad people try to help, but please don't reply when you obviously donut have a clue what the Corsair 500r is all about...

Thanks for the other replies though.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, of course not...how silly of me to not know what 'watercooling' and a case look like.

I just built a PC in a 400R about 2 months ago. They are almost identical to the 500R.

Please show me a radiator with fans installed that together, are less than 30mm thick?

I'm not sure what you want help with. Above the mobo there's a 30mmx120x240 space that can fit either two 120mm fans, or a rad. You can probably mount a rad or fans underneath that, inside the main bay area directly above the mobo.

If you mount the rad in that space, you will also need to do some cutting of the steel case to get the hoses through, but that should be minor.

You can also fit a rad on the front of your case, possibly another 240 after removing the 2 drive bays and some slight modding to the one remaining, or a single 120/140 intaking from the bottom.

EDIT: For the top mounted rad, I'd suggest putting the rad in the main bay with the two fans "pulling" from that 30mm space. May or may not look cleaner, but fans on rads tend to perform a little better in pull.

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I'm not sure we understand each other. I'm gonna mount a 30 mm rad in the place that's made for that on the top. Then I'm gonan put two fans where there are an additional 30mm space clearing just above the mobo. Sorry for being aroggant in the last post.

Thanks for the tips wolfram23. :)

I've got my question answered - thanks everybody.

If you have 60mm of space to work with I see no reason the XSPC rads wouldn't work.

The most common 120mm fans are 25mm in thickness, and the XSPC EX240 is 35mm thick. 25+35=60...

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Thanks for trying to help, but that's not how it is. Please research the corsair 500r...

Unless you post pics/diagrams, I have no idea how you're planning to configure this. I don't own a 500R and don't intend to buy one, but if you're saying you have 30mm for a rad and 30mm for fans, it doesn't make much sense that you couldn't break that up into 25+35 assuming all other dimensions are the same.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Thanks for trying to help, but that's not how it is. Please research the corsair 500r...

This isn't what we're here for...if you intend for us to help, you need to do the leg work to get us this information. We aren't Google.

The most common 120mm fans are 25mm in thickness, and the XSPC EX240 is 35mm thick. 25+35=60...
What boiler is stating is correct; it doesn't matter how you use the total space as long as the radiator and fans both fit in the areas you are specifying. I know exactly what you are meaning and it should work as long as there is a place to route tubing and fittings. Otherwise, you'll want to mount the fans in the top and the radiator underneath (above the MB).

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

I'm not quite sure I totally get what you are talking about.. :/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/vimages/corsair_500r/13.jpg

I wanna be able to put the radiator in the place that's made for it. Mount the fans underneath this place (above the mobo) and still be able to put on the mesh filter. If I were to buy 35mm radiator + 25mm fans I'd have to completele cut out the placement thing for the radiator, which I'm not willing to do. I don't quite see how I'd fit a 35mm radiator without cutting this thing out?

Lutfij

Titan
clearly you haven't popped your eyes onto the link I posted...[:lutfij:2] its on page 5 of that thread. Besides you can do the measuring on your won as well+ provide pics of your intended setup.

wizh

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Well actually, I had no questions what so ever on how I would need to mount my radiator. I got my question answered from the first post by rubix. I did read that whole build log beforehand. He bended the top metal mounting place which looks really bad imo. I also don't wanna mod my case in that way.

You can go ahead and close the thread rubix. Thanks for the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS