Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows XP stuttering help

Last response: in Windows XP
July 20, 2012 12:16:30 AM

Before i get into the problem i want to state about everything i know already... Its not a driver issue i just updated everything including the bios which was a pain the arse... :fou:  heres what im dealing with... every now and then it will go on a stutter spree. In games and on the desktop. what this means is about every second or 2 the computer will freeze for about half a second and then go about fo another 2 seconds etc. its really pissing me off when i want to play League of Legends and i cant play ranked anymore because im afraid the stutter spree will start in the middle of the game. the specs of this comp are not great considering its about 3 years old. i just cleaned out all the dust from the system today.... that was a very dirty job. But its got

AMD sempron 140 2.7ghz
2 gigs of Kingston single channel ram (its like the fastest single channel ram you can buy)
integraded ATI Radeon HD 4200
5200rpm 320 gig HDD

If theres anything else thats needed just tell me.

Im hoping that i can find a solution without having to replace parts, overclock, or reinstall the OS... But please i love this site its helped me many times but i just cant seem to find a solution to this problem. i really would like to get back with my buddies and start playing League of Legends again.

More about : windows stuttering

July 20, 2012 2:56:48 AM

Is the hard drive light lashing when it freezes? If so, it might be a failing hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
July 20, 2012 5:41:12 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
Is the hard drive light lashing when it freezes? If so, it might be a failing hard drive.

Where would i find this light. if my HDD is failing i would like to hop right on that immediately.
m
l
July 20, 2012 5:48:55 PM

ktownmike said:
Turn off windows update, java update google update, disable java quick start, adobe quck start, open office or office quickstart, an easy way to see what all is going in is autoruns, also Itunes an bounjour can cause slowdowns.
see what is really starting up.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb96390...

If you want to do it live process explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

I disabled everything that you listed and a few more that shouldnt be starting up. i will reboot and give you more details later on.
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:56:47 PM

Even after disabling just about everything on startup the Stuttering is still occurring on a regular basis... Its really pissing me off now
m
l
July 20, 2012 7:42:02 PM

Basically, you are playing a game that was designed for a much lower end GPU ram, and CPU speed, and ram speed.

I get the same problem when playing Age of Empires I (Rise of Rome Expansion) on any CPU speed higher than Pentium 4 2.66ghz

The only "remedy" is to get a PC that complies with the recommended game requirements.

The only "fix" might be to player at a lower resolution, and adjust the game settings within the game confiure options.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:32:46 AM

TenPc said:
Basically, you are playing a game that was designed for a much lower end GPU ram, and CPU speed, and ram speed.

I get the same problem when playing Age of Empires I (Rise of Rome Expansion) on any CPU speed higher than Pentium 4 2.66ghz

The only "remedy" is to get a PC that complies with the recommended game requirements.

The only "fix" might be to player at a lower resolution, and adjust the game settings within the game confiure options.

If you read correctly its not just in-game that this happens. it happens everywhere, even on the desktop.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:57:26 AM

Sorry, I was thinking of something else, what is the motherboard, is this a desktop or a laptop?

What are the full specs of this PC, ram, PSU, etc..
m
l
July 21, 2012 4:12:35 AM

TenPc said:
Here is a reasonable setup for the Sempron -
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265013-28-sempron-7gh...

What version XP, sp1, 2, or 3?

Its sp3. everything that needs to be listed is listed above in my first post. Its not ment for gaming im just using it until my laptop screen gets fixed :/ 

like i said its 3 years old... it would be a sad excuse for a gaming machine.... i miss my core I5 and Gtx 560m and my 8 gigs ram :/ 
m
l
July 21, 2012 4:17:56 AM

TenPc said:
Sorry, I was thinking of something else, what is the motherboard, is this a desktop or a laptop?

What are the full specs of this PC, ram, PSU, etc..

Again Ram is up top and i THINK my mobo is a Biostar A785GE.... Its a very dated MoBo but it works. and the Psu is a standard 350W by Rosewill
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:15:22 AM

Run CHKDSK /F on the hdd.

Then do a Defrag but before you defrag, enpty the Recycle bin.

m
l
July 21, 2012 5:23:01 PM

TenPc said:
Run CHKDSK /F on the hdd.

Then do a Defrag but before you defrag, enpty the Recycle bin.

Check disk is running now. But i ask why the recycle bin being empty will effect the defrag?
m
l
July 21, 2012 6:14:15 PM

Ive done everything TenPC said and im still having the issue..... im going to assume its a failing HDD but any other suggestions are still welcome.
m
l
July 21, 2012 6:56:04 PM

What motherboard are you using?
AMD sempron 140 2.7ghz refers tot he CPU, but doesn't tell us what motherboard you are using.

How much free space is avaiable?

Is this a single drive or is it partitioned?

Emptying the Recycle bin prior to defrag helps the drive run smoothly, it is part of the defrag as well.
m
l
July 21, 2012 7:05:39 PM

What model number is the PSU, how many watts, what is the total output?

Some PSU (power supply unit), only output about 82% of their total.

What speed is the ram? What model number or type of ram?

Did you refer to the motherboard manufacturuer site cpu list to see if your cpu was compatible to the motherboard?

Did you check the same site to see if the ram was compatible?

Did you use thermal paste on the CPU soi that the heatsink does not connect directly to the CPU, the thermal paste a very slim smear, protects the CPU from direct contact while allowing the transfer of heat from the cpu to the heat sink to be dissipared. Too much thermal paste will not allow the transference of the heat generated by the CPU and may cause the CPU to fail.

m
l
July 22, 2012 3:43:21 AM

TenPc said:
What model number is the PSU, how many watts, what is the total output?

Some PSU (power supply unit), only output about 82% of their total.

What speed is the ram? What model number or type of ram?

Did you refer to the motherboard manufacturuer site cpu list to see if your cpu was compatible to the motherboard?

Did you check the same site to see if the ram was compatible?

Did you use thermal paste on the CPU soi that the heatsink does not connect directly to the CPU, the thermal paste a very slim smear, protects the CPU from direct contact while allowing the transfer of heat from the cpu to the heat sink to be dissipared. Too much thermal paste will not allow the transference of the heat generated by the CPU and may cause the CPU to fail.

Some PSU (power supply unit), only output about 82% of their total. this doesnt matter... it wouldve been a problem a while back if the psu wasnt good enough.

As for the Ram its the same situation as above. never had a problem untill a few days ago

If i didnt use thermal paste this this would be fried with the amount of dust that was there before i cleaned it out..

So basically your claiming that im mentally retarded at building a computer lol..... any jackass knows all of that shitt
m
l
July 22, 2012 8:54:52 AM

So what is the motherboard that you use?
What speed is the ram?
What is the brand ame of the PSU and model number (and Watts)?

If you cannot supply the proper information then no one can help you.
m
l
July 22, 2012 11:35:07 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...
Motherboard Specifications, H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)
AMD Sempron 140, Socket AM3, 2.7 GHz, 1 MB Cache, 45 Watts, SDX140HBGQBOX
integraded ATI Radeon HD 4200

•Supported speeds
◦PC3-10600 @ 1333 MHz*
◦PC3-8500 @ 1066 MHz
*DDR3-1333 modules run at 1066 MHz if three or more modules are installed

PSU - possibly 360 watts

The jittering and stuttering occurs when there is bottle-necking, too much inforomation going into a slow processor or video ram, or the ram is too fast for the processor or video ram. Also, a low watts PSU cannot provide adequate power to all of the devices all of the time.

Only use the recommended ram and speeds, use a PSU no lower than 500 watts, and avoid long play, multiple programs running, and make sure the powerboard is not overloaded with other electronics. Don't charge your phone or ipod on the computer, either.

m
l

Best solution

July 23, 2012 1:46:27 PM

Jeff already stated that he has never had any problems with it before. Since its 3 years old and still has these parts im going to assume thats its never been upgraded since. Therefore meaning its not a hardware issue and more than likely a virus or some sort of rootkit. My advice would be to do a complete sweep of your computer to make sure that your clean before doing anything else. I cant think of any off the top of my head but be sure to run these scans in safe mode to ensure security and efficiency. BTW @tenpc If the problem has just started within a few weeks ago, then the hardware isnt the problem unless its failing. But i think Jeff might be right. Its probably a failing Hard drive.... After 2 years most hard drives will start to slow down and/or fail. Your lucky to have gone 3 almost 4 years without issues until now. But anyway try to find a 7200 rpm Hard drive or even an SSD. Because it seems that your not doing any sort of video editing on that processor so you wont need anything over 200 gigs. Buy a 320 gig HDD or a 120 gig SSD will suit you just fine.
August 1, 2012 12:50:09 AM

Best answer selected by jefflaflavor35.
m
l
!