Sign in with
Your question
Closed

External hard drive to be used as an internal hard drive

Last response: in Storage
December 15, 2011 7:08:08 AM

Hi guys. Hard drive prices as you all know have been hiked up terribly. Here in South Africa, internal hard drives 1Tb was R600 = $75. The world shortage caused the hard drives to skyrocket in price from R600 to R1800. That's a $150 price increase!

Now down to business. I have an external hard drive. Samsung Story. 1TB. I would just like to know what the possibility is, to take the hard drive out of it's enclosure, connecting it via a SATA port and using it as the internal hard drive. (booting windows, installing games and programs)
a c 378 G Storage
December 15, 2011 11:04:29 AM

I don't see why not. It should be a standard hard drive inside. You might want to make sure it's out of warranty before opening the case though. Also, I don't think the enclosure's controller is doing anything funny with the data, but if it is, you may need to reformat the drive once it's in your computer.
Score

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 15, 2011 11:18:58 AM

You should easily be able to do this, however, I would be careful when removing the case. A lot of them are made not to come off, so be careful not to damage the drive when removing the case.
Related resources
December 15, 2011 5:43:37 PM

Best answer selected by Andre2807.
Score
February 25, 2012 3:57:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!